looking for ship ID help

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I posted once in the past looking for help, I will try again. This forum consist of some very experienced people, and I need your help(landlubber here).

I am looking for someone who is an expert researcher on ships (maybe or maybe not Spanish?) specifically one that could have been lost near the Texas coast. I know that is a lot of territory, but even though articles and books say there were a lot of wrecks none are specific on which ships are missing. The ship I am looking for the name of will have 22 brass canons, and 28 iron ones, that should narrow it down some. I can give the knowledgeable person some more info to help narrow it down if needed. The Texas state archeologist says it fits an admiralty ship description she has, but she will not give me the name of it. She doesn't want treasure hunters to have any info on it..Thanks!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you know of such a shipwreck, it is quite possible that is one of the three that went down in 1554 and named in the link below. The Spanish salvaged some of the cargo in 1554 and Treasure Salvors salvaged some items in the 1960's but I am unsure that all three ships were located and.or salvaged. I am sure that there were quite a few other Spanish ships and possibly even a few French ships lost along the Texas coast.

https://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/coast/images/he4.html

Frank

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any particular end of the Texas Gulf Coast? That's about 367 miles of shipwrecks.
The known good ones in Marx were 1553 on Padre Island, 1766 on Galveston Island, 1811 on Padre and Lafitte's 4 ships wrecked on the northern tip of Galveston Island in 1818.
Billy Kenon would be one to ask.
This might be the book to read on the subject. I don't have it...yet:
https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9781467116176

Links:
https://www.boem.gov/ESPIS/3/3680.pdf
Sunshine and Shipwrecks - Texas Highways

Always a perennial favorite: Shipwrecks in the Gulf of Mexico. GPS location coordinates and free online nautical charts and Maps for wrecks and obstructions in the Gulf of Mexico
Competing ?Maritime Time? Activity - Maritime Texas
South Padre Treasure Hunting | Pirates, Shipwrecks and Indians ? Finding the History of Padre Island

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,

This is all new to me I am trying to collapse the time frames on the research as I don't have the years to do it...

This one is too long to be one of the three on SPI.
How do I get in touch with Billy Kenon ? You can PM me if needed.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ship I am looking for the name of will have 22 brass canons, and 28 iron ones, that should narrow it down some. I can give the knowledgeable person some more info to help narrow it down if needed.

What is the foundation of this? Did you find a wreck that has this, or what are you looking for? If you have more information, what is the harm in providing it?

A Spanish shipwreck with 50 cannon, 22 brass , Padre Island?

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,

This is all new to me I am trying to collapse the time frames on the research as I don't have the years to do it...

This one is too long to be one of the three on SPI.
How do I get in touch with Billy Kenon ? You can PM me if needed.

Be careful, Curtis, of whom you trust.

Not all the members of this forum are treasure hunters.

There are also anti treasure hunting trolls--complete nobody's to be sure---yet fully capable of submitting a "whistle-blowing" email to state agencies.

If you have positive information about a shipwreck, or potential shipwreck, there can be PLENTY of harm in providing the information to unknown entities or laying it bare on an open internet forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread