What's new

Looking for some recommendations on a first detector

paulamurf

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi Everyone,

I am new here, had a borrowed detector last summer for a bit and really enjoyed hunting, I think I would like to get my own this Spring - I expect to be primarily hunting coins and jewlery at parks, hiking trails and beach areas - what would be a good, detector to get? I have been reading up on many different ones, but, thought that it would be better to talk to people who actually are using them.

I would like to try and keep cost down, say under $300 and dont plan on actually getting IN the water! I would also consider a used one but am not even sure where to look for something like that.

THANKS in advance.
Paula ???
 
Check the mfr websites, there's dealers that sponsor TNet up there, at the top of the screen and there's always E-Bay and other online avenues. Lot's of machines so look around, see if one looks cooler than the other and ask around here about it.

My list of top mfrs for beginners now looks like this:
White's
Fisher
Garret
Tesoro
Minelab
Teknetics

Although not necessarily in that order.

Oh yeah, and welcome aboard!
 
Hello Paula. just an idea maybe starting out with a Garrett ACE 250 then as the bug bites deeper move up to a more advanced detector and keep the 250 for a back-up. I have been buying from a company in California called www.detection.com
wonderfull service along with free gifts and free shipping check it out. hope this helps you
 
I have only been detecting a couple of months. But I like my ace 250. I still keep it on all metal mode untill I get alittle better at it.For the money I don't think you can beat it.
 
As mentioned, the Ace 250 is one good option. Another is the Tesoro Compadre or the Tesoro Silver umax for a few dollars more. The Tesoros are "beep and dig" machines, no display, but very capable detectors for the price. I personally feel that a person learns the machine and its responses to different targets better without a display and usually, while digging more trash, will also dig more jewelry which often shows as trash on the display. I use both types of machines, but having come from the "beep and dig" versions, I pay more attention to the audio than the display on the my machines with the display. The display is my last bit of information when deciding to dig. I do like it when detecting in areas with good turf where I may prefer to pass on questionable targets rather than disturbing excellent sod. My two cents.
Bill
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom