Looking in North Georgia

dalec911

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya all,
I'm Dale and I'm new to the form. Be gentle on the nooby. I live in Florida, the only state in the lower 48 that doesn't have gold!! I've done a little panning (enough to get the bug) in Arizona, where I found some flake and one nice picker. Also did some panning in CA, but only found fools gold. I've panned around Dahlonega a couple years ago, but didn't find anything. Last year I went to the Uwharrie national forest, but I didn't fine anything but a little dust.

I'm planning on heading back up there in a month or so and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions either around Dahlonega or the Uwharrie national forest. I've googled and googled and have an area to try, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help or suggestions and Good hunting!

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dale and welcome.
Get ahold of a fella called Astrobouncer here in the forum. He is from that general area of the country, georgia, north carolina etc and would be very helpful to you I think. He know alot about the geology out there and places to go.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia is tough as most of the gold here is fine and deep. You'll do a BUNCH of panning usually before you see any color.
Also, keep in mind that almost all the NF areas are handtrowel and pan only. No sluices or even shovels.
WMA areas (Wildlife Management Areas) are off limits to anything. They bleed into the NF sometimes.
You can start at Gold N Gems and work their dirt. It's dug on site and contains some fine gold and good gems.
Then start working out from there.
Doc

GoldFracture

Greenie
May 24, 2013
Tennessee/ Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia is tough as most of the gold here is fine and deep. You'll do a BUNCH of panning usually before you see any color.
Also, keep in mind that almost all the NF areas are handtrowel and pan only. No sluices or even shovels.
WMA areas (Wildlife Management Areas) are off limits to anything. They bleed into the NF sometimes.
You can start at Gold N Gems and work their dirt. It's dug on site and contains some fine gold and good gems.
Then start working out from there.
Doc

Hes correct. I went down there couple times. Too much work to get to the gold. So I went to Alabama near arbacoochee, found several grams on the first outing then since then been finding good amounts. Only problem with Alabama, alot of good areas has been claimed. Got to be nice to the claim owners otherwise they will pull gun on you.

I noticed the difference between Alabama and georgia golds, Alabama seems to be more shallow, find gold easier instead of Georgia.

cmattdvc

Greenie
Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hes correct. I went down there couple times. Too much work to get to the gold. So I went to Alabama near arbacoochee, found several grams on the first outing then since then been finding good amounts. Only problem with Alabama, alot of good areas has been claimed. Got to be nice to the claim owners otherwise they will pull gun on you.

I noticed the difference between Alabama and georgia golds, Alabama seems to be more shallow, find gold easier instead of Georgia.

Ok here's another newbie question: how do I find out who owns and where the claims are?

Matt

cmattdvc

Greenie
Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ya all,
I'm Dale and I'm new to the form. Be gentle on the nooby. I live in Florida, the only state in the lower 48 that doesn't have gold!! I've done a little panning (enough to get the bug) in Arizona, where I found some flake and one nice picker. Also did some panning in CA, but only found fools gold. I've panned around Dahlonega a couple years ago, but didn't find anything. Last year I went to the Uwharrie national forest, but I didn't fine anything but a little dust.

I'm planning on heading back up there in a month or so and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions either around Dahlonega or the Uwharrie national forest. I've googled and googled and have an area to try, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for any help or suggestions and Good hunting!

You thought about hitting the Alabama gold camp? I go at least a couple times a month and find gold every time.

What part of Florida are you in? I'm originally from the Ocala area. Anyway, Alabama may me a bit closer.

Matt

GoldFracture

Greenie
May 24, 2013
Tennessee/ Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's another newbie question: how do I find out who owns and where the claims are?

Matt

Blm.gov research research research. Thats what I did.

I basically go up to the house and ask them if they own the land. Then tell them what im doing. Split whatever you both agreed on at the end of the day. Most of the time, they say No. Go away! Sometime they would want to tag along and learn. I have had a few where they were really surprised to learn that they have gold around the property.

OP
OP
D

dalec911

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I've read about where the gold belt is in Alabama, but I haven't really considered going there yet. I'm in central Florida, near Tampa. I'm not really into paid panning sights, unless I'm camping at one. I don’t mind if I find any gold, but I like getting out there on my own. I do have a new Blue Bowl that I want to try on some concentrate. I've googled some places near Cleveland GA and Woodstock GA that I plan on trying. Some places where the road crosses or runs next to a stream. I pull a trailer with my dirt bike behind the motorhome, it makes it really cheap and easy to stop and check out different places. Don't tell the boss all I do at work is google Georgia gold panning locations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions