Looking to get into it.

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone!

Im looking to get started in this hobby even though I dont need anymore. LOL. I am looking for some machines for my son and I.

I think I am going with an AT Pro and an Ace 250 for my 14yr old son. Mainly wanna hunt relics and coins and possibly some gold.

Our house was built in 1890 so im hoping for some good finds around the yard for us!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome from Michigan. Do you plan on water hunting also? If not the At-Pro is a good machine however you might find a machine for a lower price that will work just as well Hope to see some great finds.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Digg'n

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys! Mostly land hunting for now. Maybe hit some shallow beaches after we learn the machines a bit.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks guys! Mostly land hunting for now. Maybe hit some shallow beaches after we learn the machines a bit.

Well then the At-Pro is a good choice. ANY land machine and water is not a good combination. I drowned two accidentally. You can easily lift your coil enough to have water run down the shaft into the electronics and they fizzle out!

White's has a new one coming out to rival the AT-Pro and it should be released very soon from what I have read.

OP
OP
Digg'n

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! Ill have to check that one out. Is it in the same price range do you know?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No idea on price, when it will be released or what it's capabilities are. You might want to contact a White's dealer. They should have more answers.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look around, you will be able to buy 2 Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pros for the price of one AT Pro. The BH LRP is ultra light and comes with many options. It is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I recommend you watch some videos of all the detectors that may interest you in your price range. If I was going to spend $500 on one detector, It would be the Classic T2. It competes well with all top of the line models from other manufacturers. Last year they cost over $800. The price has been reduced to $499. You should be aware that some websites and some detectors on some auction sites are Chinese counterfeits.

GL & HH

OP
OP
Digg'n

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look around, you will be able to buy 2 Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pros for the price of one AT Pro. The BH LRP is ultra light and comes with many options. It is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I recommend you watch some videos of all the detectors that may interest you in your price range. If I was going to spend $500 on one detector, It would be the Classic T2. It competes well with all top of the line models from other manufacturers. Last year they cost over $800. The price has been reduced to $499. You should be aware that some websites and some detectors on some auction sites are Chinese counterfeits.

GL & HH
Wow! That LRP has got me interested. Looks really nice! I just watched the review video in the BH section. Definately gunna check it out more. And it will save me some cash for some pin pointers.

As far as auction sites go I plan on buying from a dealer here. Looks like they are all great!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That LRP has got me interested. Looks really nice! I just watched the review video in the BH section. Definately gunna check it out more. And it will save me some cash for some pin pointers.

As far as auction sites go I plan on buying from a dealer here. Looks like they are all great!

My main concern was with the Classic T2, there are many counterfeits out there. I have not heard the same of the BH LRP.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Iowa for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

OP
OP
Digg'n

Digg'n

Mar 5, 2016
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

Decided on the ATP and F2 for my boy. Got them yesterday from Wayne at Metal detecting stuff. Thanks again Wayne!!!

Took them out in the backyard of the house and had a few finds. uploadfromtaptalk1458342191405.jpg

Alot of junk but did find a few coins. No silver yet but did find a 2007 presidential dollar. Score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread