looks like a flat button...not sure though

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Hey all,

I found this yesterday and when I took it out of the ground I thought I had another flat button. Looking at the first pic it does look like one that the shank broke off. I turned it over and saw all that shiny stuff and couldn't believe it was a flat button in that good a condition. I'm still not convinced if it is or isn't so I figured I would go to the populace and ask you all. The disk measures 24mm diameter. It was found in an area that I have pulled 4 other flat button out of. I also retrieved what I think was part of a handle to a pewter eating utensil. Pretty corroded but does look like the very end of a spoon or fork. This was found a couple of feet from the disk.

Take a look at the pics and let me knwo what you all think it is.

Thanks

Funkman

Attachments

• P1010075.JPG
    P1010075.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 181
  • P1010077.JPG
    P1010077.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 188

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Definitely looks like an early 1800's gilt button. Can't tell if those are just scratches or the remaining details of some design on the face.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
PBK,

They are scratches but not from me ::) I was just surprised to see it in that condition. The other I have found have had the gilt all gone. I will look more closely at it but do not beleive there was any design. The back seems to have a ring around it or could just be my eyes also. Little magnifying glass I have just doesn't work as well as the big momma I have at work. You really think that the gilt could have survived that long? Have you found anything that was buried and in that condition?

Thanks again PBK...knew you would come through o' mighty detecting guru!

Funkman

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I've seen 18th century buttons with plenty of remaining gilt. I think the "ring" on the back might be the lettering of a quality backmark: "DOUBLE PLATED," "TREBLE GILT," or whatever.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread