Looks like a seated!

stickyfingers427

Jan 23, 2013
Looks like I found my first silver today and I believe it's a seated liberty quarter.. I don't know how to clean it yet so I don't want to damage it ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431284532.774368.jpg

Upvote 3
That appears to be an early copper, not a quarter. Meaning it's much older than a seated if I'm seeing what I think. the zoom option seems to not be working so I can't look up close to verify.

(edit) I finally got it to zoom and it does appear to resemble a seated. But I can't shake my initial feeling that it's an early copper. Here's a link to a Colonial copper that resembles yours.

https://www.whitman.com/redbook/Coi...tes+British-Copper-Coins-and-Their-Imitations

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure , I thought it was a seated. I found it a couple of hours ago and don't know how to clean it... It is the same size as a quarter

And I'm not joking at all, I've never found anything good yet probably because I haven't really gave my self enough hours with the machine.. I found it at 11 inches which I thought was deep

I believe you are right.. That looks exactly like it... I found it by the manor of Saint George right before you enter the gate and it was taken over by the British during the revolutionary war

Agreed, a British Halfpenny, probably Geo II, maybe III

The other side has a lot of crust on it.. Someone posted baking soda and water so I will try it

The other side has a lot of crust on it.. Someone posted baking soda and water so I will try it

Thats normally for silver, not so good on copper. Peroxide is needed

Nice old coin, large copper. Nice find!

Cool! British Copper! Gentle cleaning with toothpicks. Like Cru said, peroxide. I heat peroxide if I use it. Normally I start with distilled water first

Congrats and it's tempting to over clean so be mindful

Looks like a KG, but could be a CT, VT or Machin's Mills piece. Beware the peroxide as it can remove the detail of the coin along with the crud. I've seen it happen way too many times. Some coins with a smooth, hard patina come out great. Once you get a bit of corrosion on the coin it's a whole different story. My best success with old coppers with corrosion is just to rub the dirt off with you thumb. No water or anything. Indians and 2 cent pieces are different as you can scrub them lightly with a scouring pad. Old coppers can be delicate.

Hey Stickyfingers... we are looking forward to your "after cleaning pic" I would love to see if you can extract a date from that great find. Or even let us know if your cleaning ruins it. we can all learn from this

Looks like a nice copper to me

I tried peroxide and a toothbrush but didn't get anywhere... I hate to say it but it looks to badly worn that I will be able to extract a date from it.. But that doesn't make me any less excited knowing I found that a mile from home in my very historic town.. It's hard to find a coin from the mid 1700's and I hope I find more preferable silver next time cause copper doesn't hold up over time... I had my whites VX3 in deep silver mode and hit it easily and it was exactly 11 inches deep.. Good luck to all this year!!!!

You may not be able to get a date, but if cleaned enough to get a type, you can date it to at least within a couple decades probably. Very nice old copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back