Looks like Canada scrapped their pennies... down south...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I searched a box of pennies ($25), and here are the sad but true results...

No wheat cents
hardly any copper
and about 300 canadian pennies ranging from 1975-2010

Looks like Canada scrapped their cents to their neighbor down south.
Never in 4 years of hunting has this ever happened to me with pennies, I average 6 canadian cents per penny box usually.

HH
Buff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to mention... that SOUND when a canadian cent from the 80's pops out of the roll into my wooden desk... makes the pennies sound like they are cheaply made
not meant to be making fun of the canadian coinage, but the ping the cents make.
Buff

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Maybe someone dumped them because of the news that Canada was doing away with the penny and they didn't want to get stuck with them. I get more like 10-20 per box from people spending their money down here, Fl, on vacation. I get so many of them I even started a collection book but the older ones are hard to find, only need 7 to fill in back to 1939.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have quite a collection of canadian pennies from circulation too. Unfourtinately none of these cents were older than 1975, and I need quite a few KGVI and KGV cents to complete my collection.

Now my personal collection of canadian cents is nearly full, but I am talking about the set from circulaton :)

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
stores in Mass will not accept them anymore, like when did this start?

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting, but I save all foreign coins I accumulate, I don't bother spending them at stores though since I am so far from the border, the stores won't accept canadian coinage.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a dump for some reason or another. Done 2 penny boxes today, usual results. 3-4 Canadas per box. Canada ceasing production on their cents may be a good barometer to watch for what happens should the US stop production on our pennies. Ya think?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all, I searched a box of pennies ($25), and here are the sad but true results...

hardly any copper
and about 300 canadian pennies ranging from 1975-2010

1975-1996 Canadian pennies are still copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread