Loran to GSP Readings

Apr 16, 2005
Hello, I am a relatively new member and am not sure if this has been addressed yet. Forgive me if it has:

My father was a commercial clam trawler captain for several decades up and down the East coast. Once, in the early 1970's, while dredging at about 180 feet, the dredge picked up several deadeyes and part of a very old chewed up gunstock. What was left had handworked metal on the wood and on the underside had a carving of a Fleur-de-lis. He jotted down the loran readings on the site and never thought anymore on it. I have pictures of the gunstock if anyone is interested.
I have recently become a PADI Divemaster and am very interested in what lies at those coordinates.

My question is: Is there a computer program which will convert Loran readings to present day GPS readings?
Virginia Beach Diver ???

I don't know about a program as in computers, i have a plotter in my boat that converts T/D loran to lat and lon,
i wouldn't mind converting it for you but i won't be going to the harbor for a couple of weeks, you might call a marine electronics store or stop by, and ask if they can punch in the numbers and bingo youll have it!
let me know!

I'd love to see pics of the gunstock, VA Beach Diver. Speaking of Va Beach, you ever dive much at Lynnhaven Bay?

Cornelius,
Thank you for the welcome, I have been reading the posts on this site for many months and have really enjoyed them.
I took a trip to a Jamaican resort over Thanksgiving, and kicked myself several times as an elderly gentleman who was smart enough to bring his detector with him, walked along the beach and in about 3 days found over 20 rings, necklaces and watches, all gold and diamonds.
Oh well....next time....LOL

Darren,
I haven't dove the Lynnhaven Bay, but hope to do some in the Lynnhaven River this spring. I am working with an historical organization in the city to do some underwater detecting around the site. Out of Rudee Inlet I have mostly dove the Triangle wrecks, the Chesapeake light, the Margaret Hanks, Ricks, John Morgan, Lillian Luchanbach, the Webster, the Eskridge Tugboat, Brass Spike, etc....
I usually dive with Lynnhaven Dive Center.
Virginia Beach Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back