Loss of the Japanese submarine I-52

E

elsalvador

Extracted from "War Treasure II" available from SevenSeasPublishing.com

1944: June 24

On March 10th the undersea cargo transport submarine I-52 left the island of Japan bound for Europe on a top secret mission for the Japanese Imperial Navy. Eleven days later the sub arrived in Singapore and remained until resuming the voyage again on April 23rd. It was then the German code name for the mission was changed from Tanne to Forhre. Meanwhile the Japanese code name Momi prevailed throughout the voyage and until the destruction of the submarine on June 24th. After that, the missing sub was referred to as the Ginmatsu.

The essence of the ill-fated mission called for rendezvousing in the South Atlantic Ocean with the German submarine U-530 to receive aboard a Kapitanleutant Schafer and two unidentified radio technicians. Afterwards the sub was to continue steering for a submarine base located on the coast of France.

The passengers and crew traveling in the I-52 included the following people:

Rank Name and Occupation

Commanding Officer Commander Uno Kameo
Navigator Lieutenant Ootama Saharu
Navigator Lieutenant Hakoyama Tokutaroo
Chief Lieutenant Commander Matsuura Shinichi
Seven unidentified Warrant Officers
Eighty-four unidentified crewmen Enlisted men
Technician Maeda Toshi (ordnance engineer)
Ships Clerk Sunagata Eamasa
First Class petty officer Okoyama Ryooitsu
First Class petty officer Okada Hidetaka
First Class petty officer Kiyota Kichitaro
First Class petty officer Kumamoto Masatoshi
Mizuno Ichiroo Engineer of the Japan Optical Works
Ukei Yasuji Business machine expert of the Aichi Clock Company
Okada Seiichi Expert on the Fuji Communications Machine
Nagao Seijitsu Radar expert
Hagino Ichitaroo A director of the Tokyo Gauge Company and a gyro expert
Waraya Takeshi Ordnance Engineer and expert of the Toyko Mitsubishi Company
Gamoo Satonobu Ordnance Engineer and expert of the Toyko Mitsubishi Company.
Moriwaki Fujio German language typist and translator

As for the cargo transported in the submarine, intercepted radio messages, indicate the following items were aboard at the time of loss:

(a) Number of gold bars: 146 (Packed in 49 metal boxes)
(b) Total weight of bullion: 2,000,299 gram?s.
(c) Purity of bullion: 2,000,003 gram?s.
(d) Fineness: over 995% fine
(e) Inherent value in then current Japanese money: 7,700,128 yen.
(f) Tin, molybdenum and tungsten: total of 288 metric tons
(g) Opium: 2.88 metric tons
(h) Quinine: 3 metric tons
(i) Raw rubber: metric 54 tons

The purpose of the gold shipment, according to radio messages sent from the Foreign Exchange Department of the Ministry of Finance, to Financial Commissioner Yumoto, was for ?replenishing the Special Gold Fund Account in Germany?. Meanwhile another secret cablegram stated the gold was sent to Germany ?to defray the costs of purchases made in Europe by Japan?. Both messages were intercepted and decoded by American intelligence which quickly evolved into a plan by U.S. Navy forces to destroy the submarine at the rendezvous point with the German submarine. While the Americans were busy perfecting their attack strategy, the Japanese Naval Attach? in Berlin sent following message to the I-52 on June 9th or 10th.

?Anglo-American armies have been landing on the coast of France between La Harve and Cherbourg since June 6th and present time both sides are engaged in fierce fighting. Your port of destination is still Lorient, but depending on the situation, it may have to be changed to Norway. Rendezvous point is 15 00' and 40 00' west; time of rendezvous is June 22nd at 2115, at dusk (Greenwich mean time or G.M.T). Your ship will surface and proceed back and forth along the parallel of latitude with the rendezvous point as center and await the German submarine. In case the rendezvous is unsuccessful, you will carry out the above operation at high speed during the first ten minutes of every hour from 0000 to dawn on June 23rd.

?The German submarine will be submerged during this time and will pick you up with its hydrophone and attempt a rendezvous. If the rendezvous is unsuccessful the first day, it will be attempted in the same manner until dawn of the second day. If it is still unsuccessful, report by radio. Route after rendezvous: You will proceed north along longitude 40 west, and then from position 38 00' north and 40 00' west, you will head for 43 00' north and 30 00' west. From there on you will proceed to the coast of Spain, following the instructions of the Liaison Officer. The German submarine is of the Satsuki class, but has no main battery. A 3.7 centimeter gun and two twin-mount 2-centimeter guns are on the bridge. If necessary, recognition signals will be exchanged in accordance with the prescribed recognition signal table.

?Aboard the German ship is a Liaison Officer and the latest type radar search receiver with two operators. Its approximate position on June 6th was 35 00' north and 23 00' west. Take special precaution against enemy planes. Always travel submerged during the day. Recently an enemy aircraft carrier appeared in the vicinity of position 15 00 north and 30 00 west and was sunk by two German submarines. In the event that you do not make the trip to Norway and should run short of fuel, it would be very difficult for Germany to supply you, so they hope you will avoid this unless it becomes necessary?.

On June 11th responding to this information, the captain of the I-52, radioed the Naval Attach? informing that the sub?s location was latitude 10 00' north and longitude 31 00' west; and was proceeding as scheduled to the rendezvous point. The captain added the sub had enough fuel remaining to travel another 12,000 miles if a speed of 11 knots was maintained; and also had sufficient provisions for three months. In the end the American warships Swenning, Willis, Robinson, Haverfield, Janssen were waiting near the meeting point and at 0043 hours catapulted aircraft from the Haverfield which sighted the I-52 bearing 240? and about 55 miles from the carrier. After the first bombing sortie a large oil slick was seen on the water in latitude 15? 12' north and longitude 40? 00' west, indicating the ambush was indeed successful.

It was found. It had approximatley 1 million dollars worth of tin cast into bars on its wet deck, and other boxes with unknown contents. No gold was recovered it is believed to be inside of the subs hull. There was a show on the history chanal about it.

Paul Tidwell purchased the cargo manifest listed in the story from me years before the discovery of the sub. Our group withdrew from any further efforts as the cost of salvage probably exceeded the value of the cargo.

Alan R. Riebe, Author

In July of 2010, Gene Birdsong (Paul Tidewell's #2 guy,) named me the "Public Awareness Officer" on the project. My role was to attract investors and I was to receive a percentage of their investment. However, after several months of working to attract investors yet still not given a hard "percentage" number, I resigned and moved to other projects.

The gold is there, and Tidewell has the rights to it, but elsavador is correct, the cost of the salvage exceeds the value of the cargo.

Hello Yates. Do you know if the initial photos taken of the sub were done via the Russian MIR submersibles?

The value of the gold was estimated at $25 mil. in 1995. Today it would be worth twice that. You mean it would cost more than $50 mil. to return there today?

Personally I have been linked to a case of an Axis submarine lost near the Strait of Gibraltar with a cargo of platinum (territorial waters of Spain). In 1996 I investigated with regard to the history of German submarines and visited the WWII submarine museum in Cuxhaven. Very interesting.
But there are two stories and facts about German WWII submarines: official (with their numbers) and the extra official. In fact have built more submarines of the official numbers.
About the I-52 gold, there are rumors that gold was transshipped to German submarine.

Personally I have been linked to a case of an Axis submarine lost near the Strait of Gibraltar with a cargo of platinum (territorial waters of Spain). In 1996 I investigated with regard to the history of German submarines and visited the WWII submarine museum in Cuxhaven. Very interesting.
But there are two stories and facts about German WWII submarines: official (with their numbers) and the extra official. In fact have built more submarines of the official numbers.
About the I-52 gold, there are rumors that gold was transshipped to German submarine.

I forgot: interestingly, the closest place where is the submarine with platinum is called "German Creek." But even more curious is the fact that Prince Borghese (former head of the X [tenth] Italian MAS in the WWII), an ardent fascist, he was exiled nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back