Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
The following article is submitted for anyone interested:

THE LOST DUTCHMAN'S MINE --History and Bibliography
Courtesy of Tom Kollenborn and the Superstition Mountain Historical Society

Does the Dutchman's Lost Mine exist? To answer the question we must examine the history and various documents about the region closely.

Superstition Mountain and the Dutchman's Lost Mine are synonymous with Arizona lost mine lore. We must first ask ourselves is the Dutchman's Lost Mine a myth or is there some truth to this lingering tale from the past? Probably the most difficult part of this question is the separation of fact from fiction. The two have been so entwined over the past one hundred and twenty years it is almost impossible to separate the truth from the legend . There are several well documented facts associated with the story as well as outrageous lies.

It is told a prospector named Jacob Waltz had a rich gold mine deep in the rugged mountains east of Apache Junction. The story tells of a German prospector who made periodic trips into the Superstition Mountains and returned to Phoenix with small quantities of bonanza gold ore. This old prospector braved the dangers of the marauding Apaches prior to the 1886 surrender of Geronimo at Skeleton Canyon.

Barry Storm, an early author on the subject of lost gold mines, believed Waltz had found a Peralta storehouse or cache. Storm suggested Waltz's gold was too rich to be from a mine. He further believed the gold had been hidden by the Apaches after they massacred a group of Mexican miners. Many of Storm's aficionados believed his popular scenario. Therefore, many early prospectors believed Waltz's mine and the Peralta cache were all one in the same.

There is not one shred of evidence to suggest the Peraltas ever mined in the Superstition Mountains or that they were massacred by the Apaches. Alfred Strong Lewis, in his manuscript, Rain God's Gold, theorized the Peraltas or Spaniards worked the rich goldfields four miles northeast of present day Apache Junction and were massacred by the Apaches as they were preparing to leave the area and return to Sonora in 1847. Lewis' scenario safeguarded Storm's unproven theory. Alfred Strong Lewis was a mining engineer who was totally convinced the Goldfields were the source of Jacob Waltz's bonanza gold ore. This theory continues to linger today unproven, but a logical choice.

To study the story of the Dutchman's Lost Mine we must first examine the facts and tales about Jacob Waltz, the alleged owner of the mine. Furthermore, we must establish his existence and actual role in the story. To do this requires extensive research in national, state, county and municipal records.

Jacob Waltz, according to documents, was born near Oberschwandorf, Wuttenburg , Germany around 1810. No existing church records support this date, however many census records do. According to documents Jacob Waltz crossed the Atlantic Ocean in 1839. He departed the Port of Bremen on October 1, 1839 and arrived at the Port of New Orleans in Louisiana on November 17, 1839 . The ship Waltz made his crossing of the Atlantic on was the Ship Oblers and its captain was H. W. Exter. His manifest listed Jacob Waltz as being from Horb, Wuttenburg , Germany . Waltz probably traveled to the gold fields of North Carolina and Georgia after arriving in New Orleans . From the gold fields of Georgia Waltz returned to Natchez , Mississippi . The gold fields had taught Waltz he had to be a citizen of the United States to file or stake a claim on a gold vein. Realizing this Waltz filed his letter of intent to become a citizen of the United States on November 12, 1848 , in the Adams County Courthouse in Natchez , Mississippi . After this letter of intent it is possible Waltz traveled to Texas and from there to California .

Jacob Waltz arrived in California about 1850. His name appears on several California census records. He prospected and worked as a miner in the mother lode country of California for eleven years. It was on July 19, 1861, in the Los Angeles County Courthouse, Jacob Waltz became a naturalized citizen of the United States of America. Waltz worked as a miner on the San Gabriel for a man named Ruben Blakney. It was probably here he met Elisha M. Reavis, later to become the "Hermit of Superstition Mountain."

Waltz departed California in 1863, with the Peeples-Weaver Party or a similar group of prospectors headed for the Bradshaw Mountains of Arizona Territory. Waltz was one of the earliest pioneer prospectors in the Bradshaw Mountain area. Waltz's name appears on the Gross Claim which was filed in Prescott, Arizona Territory on September 21, 1863. His name also appears on a special territorial census taken in 1864. On this census Waltz is listed as a miner, 54 years of age, and a native of Germany. Waltz's name also appeared on a petition to territorial governor John N. Goodwin soliciting a militia to control the predatory raids of hostile Indians in the Bradshaw Mountains. Jacob Waltz's name also appeared on the Big Rebel and the General Grant claims in the Bradshaw Mountains. Waltz was very active in the Bradshaw Mountain area between 1863-67.

Jacob Waltz moved to the Salt River Valley in 1868 and filed a homestead claim on 160 acres of land on the north bank of the Salt River. It is from here Waltz began his exploratory trips into the mountains surrounding the Salt River Valley. If Waltz had a rich gold mine or cache he had to have discovered it on one of these prospecting forays. Old timers claim Waltz prospected every winter between 1868-1886. Waltz died in Phoenix, Arizona Territory on October 25, 1891, in the home of Julia Thomas without revealing the source of the rich gold ore found beneath his death bed.

Jacob Waltz did exist. There are many government documents that support the fact Waltz lived in Arizona Territory from 1863-1891. The question still remains. Did Jacob Waltz have a rich gold mine in the Superstition Mountains?

Shortly after Waltz's death Julia Thomas, Rhinehart and Hermann Petrasch traveled to the Superstition Mountains to locate Waltz's rich gold mine. After several weeks in these rugged mountains Thomas and the Petrasches returned to Phoenix empty handed and broke. Disappointed and broke Thomas produced several maps with misinformation on them. She sold these maps hoping to compensate for her losses. The Petrasch brothers hunted for Waltz's mine for the rest of their lives. Julia Thomas was the first searcher for the Dutchman's Lost Mine. The origin of the Dutchman's Lost Mine may have started with Julia Thomas.

Many Arizona pioneer historians believed Julia Thomas gave an interview to Pierpont C. Bicknell, a free lance writer and lost mine hunter, shortly after her return from the Superstition Mountains in September of 1892. Bicknell probably paid her a token fee for the story. Ironically Julia Thomas and the Petrasches walked over the rich gold deposits at Goldfield in September of 1892 without discovering them. The rich Black Queen was discovered in November of 1892, and the rich Mammoth Mine was discovered on April 13, 1893. The Mammoth Mine produced about three million dollars worth of gold bullion in four years.

Peirpont C. Bicknell , more than any one person, may be responsible for the tale of the Dutchman's Lost Mine. P.C. Bicknell was the earliest writer to associate Weaver's Needle, the Peraltas and Jacob Waltz with the Dutchman's Lost Mine in his writing. Bicknell's first major article on the Dutchman's Lost Mine appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle on January 13, 1895, revealing several clues to the location of the Dutchman's Lost Mine. These clues closely paralleled those that Julia Thomas and the Petrasches often alluded to.

Bicknell may have also been responsible for the variety of names Weaver's Needle has had. He called the needle Needle Rock, Sombrero Peak and El Sombrero in different articles he wrote about the Dutchman's Lost Mine. Actually Weaver's Needle is a prominent pinnacle that towers over much of the region east of Superstition Mountain and had played a major role in the legend of the Dutchman's Lost Mine. This famous landmark was named after Powell (Paulino) Weaver, a mountain man, guide, prospector and early Arizona pioneer. Weaver first visited the area in 1825 when the region was still part of Mexico. Weaver's Needle appeared on military maps as early as 1853, making it one of the oldest anglo-American named landmarks in the Southwest. Weaver's Needle appeared on maps almost two decades before Superstition Mountain did.

There is little doubt among historians that Peirpont Constable Bicknell took a writer's liberty to exaggerate the truth in much of his written material about lost mines. Any separation of fact from fiction must start with Bicknell's published works.

It is doubtful that Barry Storm or Oren Arnold thoroughly researched Bicknell's early work on the Dutchman's Lost Mine. Since 1895, thousands of periodicals have appeared on the Dutchman's Lost Mine and much of the legend can be traced back to Bicknell. Bicknell may have had the earliest impact on the legend itself, but Barry Storm embellished all works he found on the Dutchman, Peraltas or Jesuits. His work impacted the thinking of more contemporary prospectors than any other individual except for the man who perpetrated the infamous Peralta Stone Maps.

The one book that probably had the greatest impact on contemporary prospectors and treasure hunters in the Superstition Wilderness Area was Barry Storm's Thunder God's Gold , published in 1945, by the Southwest Publishing Company. Storm suggested in his book, Waltz's mine was one of the eighteen Lost Peralta Mines. Storm struggled desperately to link the Dutchman's Lost Mine to Spanish lost gold in the Southwest.

Barry Storm's first book, On The Trail of Dutchman, was published by Barry Goldwater and most of the photography was done by him. Storm used Goldwater's money and also used his first name.

Barry Storm, better known as John T. Clymenson, was one of the most celebrated writers and promoters of the Lost Dutchman Mine and the Peralta Mines in the early 1940's up to the early 1960's. His stories and tales fired the imagination of an entire generation of lost mine hunters.

The two hundred and forty-two square miles of rugged terrain found in the Superstition Wilderness makes it a difficult task to systematically search or prospect the region. Most professional geologists will insist there is little geological evidence to suggest a rich gold deposit exist in these volcanic mountains. Jacob Waltz, the alleged owner of the Dutchman's Lost Mine, claimed his mine was located where no other miner or prospector would search for gold. A recent U.S. Geological Survey could possibly support this clue Waltz left behind. The application of the mercury vapor test over the Superstition Wilderness Area found the region to be highly mineralized. The report is indicative of deep seated mineral deposits. Who knows for sure, maybe one of those highly enriched mineralized bodies reached the surface by way of an intrusion. This report could explain why a man would devote his entire life to searching for gold in this land of barren ash and basalt.

Since 1891, more than one hundred and thirty-seven people have claimed to have found the Dutchman's Lost Mine. The first claim was made on December 7, 1895. The story of the Dutchman's Lost Mine was well rooted in pioneer history long before the first tourist visited Arizona.

Fake maps, lies and imagination formulate the foundation of many tales told about the Superstition Mountain region. During the past three decades investors have lost millions of dollars to unscrupulous con men and promoters. The naive investor better not take the written word of authors or periodical chroniclers without knowing their credentials. Authors and periodical chroniclers often take a writer's liberty to tell a story. Oren Arnold once said it all, when he said, "Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story."

No landmark in the history of the Southwest has generated so many interesting tales of lost gold and resulted in more deaths than Superstition Mountain. According to some, Weaver's Needle towers high over the surrounding terrain east of Superstition Mountain and serves as monument to those who have searched and died for the gold of Superstition Mountain.

Prospectors and treasure hunters continue their search of this vast mountain wilderness for gold and lost treasure. Stringent rules for prospecting have limited their activity in recent years, but still they come to search for gold and lost treasure. The United States Department of Agriculture closed the Superstition Wilderness Area to mineral entry, at midnight, on December 31, 1983, to comply with the National Wilderness Act approved by Congress in 1964. This law stifled the search for the world famous Dutchman's Lost Mine or did it? Men and women still search for the Dutchman's Lost Mine.

The clues to Waltz's gold mine still ring clear through the towering peaks and deep canyons of the Superstition Wilderness Area. "No miner will find my mine." "To find my mine you must pass a cow barn." "From my mine you can see the military trail, but from the military trail you can not see my mine." "The rays of the setting sun shine into the entrance of my mine." "There is a trick in the trail to my mine." "My mine is located in a north-trending canyon." "There is a rock face on the trail to my mine." These and many other clues have fired the imaginations of men and women for more than a century.

Just maybe it is not so much the finding as it is the searching.

BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE SUPERSTITION MOUNTAIN
AND THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE

(revised Aug. 1995)

Courtesy of Tom Kollenborn

Minstrel

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Minstrel,

If you are going to quote anyone on the LDM, it would be hard to find a better source than Tom Kollenborn.

Hope you continue to post.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Well this was going to be just a TAG post, but I am in full agreement with the statements of my amigo Cactusjumper - so "DITTO" - and yes please do continue posting! I look forward to reading more. :thumbsup:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
Minstrel

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
cactusjumper said:
Minstrel,

If you are going to quote anyone on the LDM, it would be hard to find a better source than Tom Kollenborn.

Hope you continue to post.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Thank you for your kind comments from both.---I personally think he is one of the best sources of information.
Minstrel

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Minstrel,

Have you searched for the LDM yourself? Do you know Tom? Care to give us some history about yourself?

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Minstrel

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
cactusjumper said:
Minstrel,

Have you searched for the LDM yourself? Do you know Tom? Care to give us some history about yourself?

Thanks in advance.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
I wish I could answer yes to both your questions but cannot do honestly. How I came to make my personal decision goes all the way back to the 1970's, an old prospector, what things he saw and was told by his father etc. It would take a very long time to type it out here and would be glad to give you my phone number (877 Toll Free Number) so no cost to you to call if you would like to talk on the phone about it including my background history--Victorio Peak so to speak (also connected to the old prospector) and more.
Just send me an email and I will send the number back to you---rather not post it on open forum.
Minstrel
Dennis

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Lost Dutchman--Superstition Mtn Historical Society and Tom Kollenborn,Yes

I have corresponded with Tom K a couple times and Bob Corbin as well. I even map dowsed the location of the mine and hope to make a trip out to Arizona soon to check my spot out. I can locate some native gold deposits via map dowsing, not all , but some. I have recovered some placer gold doing this.
My question at this point is, even if the mine was located, what could any of us do with the gold since it is on Wildnerness land and we cannot mine it/or stake a claim? I see the Tonto NF has a treasure trove permit, but what does that entitle the treasure hunter to do and can he keep what he finds or not?

-Tom,ps, any recommendations on chaps? to keep from getting stuck by cactus thorns and prickly trees and brush? What critters do I need to watch out for in the desert besides snakes? Does pepper spray work on cougars as well as bears? I will be on the lookout for Spanish trail markers.I got my Treasure Hunters University book already.

pss, the email for Superstition Mtns Historical Society doesn't work?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA amigos,

tvanwho
wrote
My question at this point is, even if the mine was located, what could any of us do with the gold since it is on Wildnerness land and we cannot mine it/or stake a claim? I see the Tonto NF has a treasure trove permit, but what does that entitle the treasure hunter to do and can he keep what he finds or not?

I see no one ventured to answer your questions amigo so will try, and welcome any corrections and/or edits by anyone here with better information. First part,

tvanwho wrote
My question at this point is, even if the mine was located, what could any of us do with the gold since it is on Wildnerness land and we cannot mine it/or stake a claim?

For most people the "treasure" of the Lost Dutchman is in the search, or for the fame or honor of being the person(s) who finally solved the mystery once and for all. As it may well be within the Wilderness Area, it would not be open to mining entry so you could not claim it, however it may be possible to get a lease by some special arrangement with the Federal government, which might entail enlisting the aid of a good lawyer and obviously would have much 'red tape' and hoops to jump through, but it MAY be possible IF you could build a good enough case and the government would stand to benefit in a large way (royalties). On the other hand it is just as possible that the actual mine is NOT within the Wilderness Area, in which case it would very likely be open to mineral entry so you could claim it - if it lies outside the wilderness area. <begin RANT> (A good argument against the government declaring any more "wildernesses" that seal it off forever. We have lost too much gold country this way already. )</end RANT>

The next part, tvanwho wrote
the Tonto NF has a treasure trove permit, but what does that entitle the treasure hunter to do and can he keep what he finds or not?

There is a good thread here on T-net in which a fellow member explained this in good detail, *see link below* basically IF you could prove that a treasure exists, and go through the necessary red tape, if the Forest Service did issue a Treasure Trove permit you would have legal ownership of one-half of all the treasure(s) recovered. (The Fed gets half.) A major problem here is that raw natural gold in the host rock, (gold ore) if found in place, would not qualify as a "treasure" under legal terms, however if it were melted and cast into bars or ingots then a Treasure Trove would apply. A very GREY area is the supposed "caches" of high grade ore that Waltz was said to have left hidden in the hills, which is obviously not a natural deposit of gold ore, yet is not a processed or refined gold so may legally qualify as treasure, or may not. In that case, again obtaining the services of a competent attorney would likely be worth the cost.

Like I said earlier, for most folks searching for the infamous Lost Dutchman mine, they seek the honor and recognition (and satisfaction) for having solved the mystery, the actual mine and gold are not a major factor in their quest.

***(I do NOT place myself in that category, the gold IS valuable in my view and our nation would be enriched if that gold were to be mined and put into circulation rather than leaving it to dissolve slowly into the environment, but then I have been called "greedy" and a "born liar", a "narcissist" among many other less flattering things. Gold is real money, anyone who wants to call me greedy I invite to come along on the next search and see just how much greed is involved. *** :tongue3:)

Here is the thread on Treasure Trove permits, posted by a member of the Forest Service to help explain the process:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59828.0.html

Good luck and good hunting, I hope this has gone some way to help answer your questions. As always, I hope you (and everyone here) find the treasures that you seek. :thumbsup: :coffee2:
your friend,
Oroblanco

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks ORO

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer some of my questions ! I have also been called some bad things in relation to my map dowsing for gold. Been tempted to give up numerous times cause few if any th'ers believe this is possible and boy do they ridicule me for trying. Dunno any other methods to cover thousands of square miles of land from home on a shoestring budget tho and my skeptics cannot give me any help, so I keep refining my methods and trying some more. Need some solid finds now for proof it can work? I will give the mine hunt a go of it in a few weeks, even just a 1 shot try, and go from there with my dreams..Aty least I am learning how to check out land ownership and mining claims from out of state on my own as a side benefit,another tool in my arsenal. I am looking for an Arizona partner to go out with me for a day or two to hunt/metal detect for the yellow stuff,somebody I can trust ,nonsmoker preferred,who knows the desert and has an open mind to boot?

-Tom

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA mi amigo Tom,
Pay no attention to the skeptics when it comes to dowsing - it just works! I am convinced it is related to electrical charges, but that is just my personal theory, others say it has to do with tiny muscle movements of the dowser - but figuring out how it works is not really important, it works and that is the bottom line. Anyone who doubts it, just check with your local utility companies, oil and water well drillers to see how many of them use dowsers to locate things and save money and time. If it didn't work, they would not be paying them to do it.

I wish I could volunteer to join you on your next trip amigo, but as I now live in Dakota it is a bit out of my range and worse (for me), I am among the tobacco addicts. (Also a hopeless coffee addict, sorry to admit.) I am sure there there are other members here who would happily join you in the quest. I am writing you a private message, will do that now - good luck amigo I hope you find that lost mine! :thumbsup:
your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
made some money,gold

I made a profit of almost 3 grand on a stock position I took 2 weeks ago, put in 600, took out 3400 net, decided not to get so greedy this time.every time I get greedy, I usually get wiped out. I forecast Disney stock to rise to around $26 a share on Wed, May 6, which it did.
we found a pinhead size flake of yellow gold in a gravel sample I took last fall from a creek in Illinois. My first real proof of gold in the area I have searched and map dowsed for 2 years now, YIPPEEE.....
Another small gravel sample from a creek in southeast Indiana showed 4 small colors, too bad the area is all flooded out right now ..

-Tom,making progress a little bit at a time with or without a good partner

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
It is sad that many of the early books that were first circulated soon after the life of Jacob Waltz and his companion Joseph Weiser, are no longer available to most folks. There are a number of them in the archives in the library in Phoenix, Arizona. When I last visited there in the 1980's, they kept a copy machine just outside the heavy iron gates of the archives, but photo copying was not allowed. I thank God for the librarian that decided to take 5 and go for coffee while I was there; never have I dropped coins into a copy machine so fast.

I have mentioned before on this website and others that some of my family members were around in the area along the Salt while all of the magic was taking place, and how you accept this either way means little to me personally.

Some of the family on my dad's side ran cattle along the Salt River between Globe and Show Low, Arizona. The man my father's only sister married, was a direct descendant by marriage of a German fellow by the name of George Mason Adams; The real deal. George had one daughter by the name of Martha Louise Adams ( I hope my memory serves). The ranch foreman Joseph who resided in Show Low on a 40 acre parcel with his Parents, fell madly in love with Martha. At the time, the hot spot to cool down in there on the trail was the Old Military Saloon in Show Low. There was talk around in the 1880's of some German or Dutch fellow who had found an existing Mexican gold dig somewhere between the Superstitions and Apache Junction. After Joe and Martha grew close and were married, Martha and her father let the family in on a closely guarded secret of theirs. George was alone in the desert at one time and was forced to take cover due to a violent lighting storm. From where he sat out the storm was a small grove of trees in a canyon. As he waited out the storm and with little notice, a wall of water came crashing down the little tributary nearly costing him his life. As the water flow receded, George looking down just below him noticed what appeared to be numerous glints of gold in the bottom. Upon scooping his hands through the sand, he realized the sand bar was packed with gold nuggets. The rest of the story is pretty well known in history. From family legend handed down to me, Adams made 5 trips into the area before he was struck down by an Apache arrow. One afternoon, Joe his son in law was sipping one in the saloon when all of a sudden there was a loud disturbance of voices from outside the bar. Here comes George bursting through the saloon doors and flopping onto the floor in front of Joseph. He was covered in blood and the arrow was still in his gut and had been for 3 days. My uncle told me back in the 80's that as a boy, he was told the story over and over again and that it was the main topic at every Thanksgiving gathering. Uncle George had returned from the desert 5 times with horses packed with nearly raw gold in pink rose quartz. Some of his best friends were killed on the trail by the Apache during his first attempts leaving the area. I don't recall hearing anything about a mine for sure but it is mentioned in some of the books. The year he discovered it was 1883.
Personally, I believe that Jacob Waltz and Joseph Weiser of Phoenix as well as George Adams of Show Low were all acquainted with each other being that all three were of German decent. There is a real chance that they may have met while digging on one of the canals in Arizona sometime earlier. Either way, members of my family saw and handled the gold themselves and until the ranch in Show Low was dismantled some years after George's near fatal brush with the Natives, they retained a hand drawn map leading to the site. It was know that it was 3 days ride down onto the Salt River somewhere and located in a tributary near a canyon unusually filled with cactus. Lightning was also a real concern in the area due to the various metals present in the surroundings. Martha's husband Joe died around 1893 and she remarried one Dusty Rhoades (Roads), The new couple moved on taking her father George with them and I believe the settled in Spanish Fork, Utah. The Map has not been seen since.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted Fork said:
It is sad that many of the early books that were first circulated soon after the life of Jacob Waltz and his companion Joseph Weiser, are no longer available to most folks. There are a number of them in the archives in the library in Phoenix, Arizona. When I last visited there in the 1980's, they kept a copy machine just outside the heavy iron gates of the archives, but photo copying was not allowed. I thank God for the librarian that decided to take 5 and go for coffee while I was there; never have I dropped coins into a copy machine so fast.

I have mentioned before on this website and others that some of my family members were around in the area along the Salt while all of the magic was taking place, and how you accept this either way means little to me personally.

Some of the family on my dad's side ran cattle along the Salt River between Globe and Show Low, Arizona. The man my father's only sister married, was a direct descendant by marriage of a German fellow by the name of George Mason Adams; The real deal. George had one daughter by the name of Martha Louise Adams ( I hope my memory serves). The ranch foreman Joseph who resided in Show Low on a 40 acre parcel with his Parents, fell madly in love with Martha. At the time, the hot spot to cool down in there on the trail was the Old Military Saloon in Show Low. There was talk around in the 1880's of some German or Dutch fellow who had found an existing Mexican gold dig somewhere between the Superstitions and Apache Junction. After Joe and Martha grew close and were married, Martha and her father let the family in on a closely guarded secret of theirs. George was alone in the desert at one time and was forced to take cover due to a violent lighting storm. From where he sat out the storm was a small grove of trees in a canyon. As he waited out the storm and with little notice, a wall of water came crashing down the little tributary nearly costing him his life. As the water flow receded, George looking down just below him noticed what appeared to be numerous glints of gold in the bottom. Upon scooping his hands through the sand, he realized the sand bar was packed with gold nuggets. The rest of the story is pretty well known in history. From family legend handed down to me, Adams made 5 trips into the area before he was struck down by an Apache arrow. One afternoon, Joe his son in law was sipping one in the saloon when all of a sudden there was a loud disturbance of voices from outside the bar. Here comes George bursting through the saloon doors and flopping onto the floor in front of Joseph. He was covered in blood and the arrow was still in his gut and had been for 3 days. My uncle told me back in the 80's that as a boy, he was told the story over and over again and that it was the main topic at every Thanksgiving gathering. Uncle George had returned from the desert 5 times with horses packed with nearly raw gold in pink rose quartz. Some of his best friends were killed on the trail by the Apache during his first attempts leaving the area. I don't recall hearing anything about a mine for sure but it is mentioned in some of the books. The year he discovered it was 1883.
Personally, I believe that Jacob Waltz and Joseph Weiser of Phoenix as well as George Adams of Show Low were all acquainted with each other being that all three were of German decent. There is a real chance that they may have met while digging on one of the canals in Arizona sometime earlier. Either way, members of my family saw and handled the gold themselves and until the ranch in Show Low was dismantled some years after George's near fatal brush with the Natives, they retained a hand drawn map leading to the site. It was know that it was 3 days ride down onto the Salt River somewhere and located in a tributary near a canyon unusually filled with cactus. Lightning was also a real concern in the area due to the various metals present in the surroundings. Martha's husband Joe died around 1893 and she remarried one Dusty Rhoades, The new couple moved on taking her father George with them and I believe the settled in Spanish Fork, Utah. The Map has not been seen since.

Do you have any specific books you're referring to that you were able to get information from?

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
The best are in the archives in the Library in Phoenix and one should plan on several days visit. Take your pencil, believe me. This was 25 years back. Most of my notes rely on memory as I burned most of my stuff years ago to keep it from the hand of certain undesirables I was acquainted with at the time. Part of the reason was the realization of some of the areas in my travels. It is a big step for the searcher to study topos marked with historic records of known mineral zones in the State in question. Most concealed portals are quite near to existing abandoned mines which prospectors found as the Dons left them in the open as decoys. Another plus with this is that many of them have some sort of road near. TerrServerUSA offers decent free Aerial photos on line 24/7. A watchful eye may see old burro trails that stand out to some degree. Consider the animal's ease of access, pasture, water and the like. They had to be shackled some where near the portals. Smelters and tool sharpening blacksmiths needed a water source as well. It has been my experience that most smelters are within around 1/4 mile away average from the mine for reasons of secluding the mines location. These guys were Masons and followed a code. The oldest books are the best for sure. Think for the period ruffing it and the strategies of surviving everything in their path with regard to some level of a hard man's comfort zone. I know of it to be in the Tontos and if you reveal the exact location to anyone, you will get screwed, to put it lightly.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Twisted Fork said:
... Most of my notes rely on memory as I burned most of my stuff years ago to keep it from the hand of certain undesirables ...

How convenient - guess we'll have to just sit at your feet and swallow your theories blindly.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twisted Fork said:

Personally, I believe that Jacob Waltz and Joseph Weiser of Phoenix as well as George Adams of Show Low were all acquainted with each other being that all three were of German decent. There is a real chance that they may have met while digging on one of the canals in Arizona sometime earlier. Either way, members of my family saw and handled the gold themselves and until the ranch in Show Low was dismantled some years after George's near fatal brush with the Natives, they retained a hand drawn map leading to the site. It was know that it was 3 days ride down onto the Salt River somewhere and located in a tributary near a canyon unusually filled with cactus. Lightning was also a real concern in the area due to the various metals present in the surroundings. Martha's husband Joe died around 1893 and she remarried one Dusty Rhoades (Roads), The new couple moved on taking her father George with them and I believe the settled in Spanish Fork, Utah. The Map has not been seen since.

Came across this which seems to fit...

Husband: George Mason ADAMS
Birthdate: 1 October 1856
Birthplace: Northampton, Northamptonshire, England
Death date: 19 December 1927
Place of death: Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
Father: David ADAMS
Mother: Maria THETFORD

Marriage date: 10 April 1876
Marriage place: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Wife: Martha DEVEY
Birthdate: 9 August 1859
Birthplace: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England
Death date: 14 July 1907
Place of death: Show Low, Navajo, Arizona
Father: William DEVEY
Mother: Ann KERSHAW

CHILDREN

Child No. 1: Martha Louise ADAMS
Sex: F
Birthdate: 8 June 1877
Birthplace: Alpine, Utah, Utah
Death date: 24 July 1961
Place of death: Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
Marriage date: 17 August 1891
Marriage place: Show Low, Navajo, Arizona
Spouse's name: (1) Joseph SPONSELLER (2) Dusty RHOADES

They had 9 other children as well, so there should be some family legends and stories in there somewhere if someone wanted to do a bit of geneological research and try to contact any of them.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Mr. Fork,

"It is sad that many of the early books that were first circulated soon after the life of Jacob Waltz and his companion Joseph Weiser, are no longer available to most folks. There are a number of them in the archives in the library in Phoenix, Arizona. When I last visited there in the 1980's, they kept a copy machine just outside the heavy iron gates of the archives, but photo copying was not allowed. I thank God for the librarian that decided to take 5 and go for coffee while I was there; never have I dropped coins into a copy machine so fast."

Would you mind telling us the names of some of those books or manuscripts?

Many thanks,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Paul,

Mr. Fork's story about George Mason Adams is fascinating, to say the least.

I know a bit of the history of this family, and in the many accounts of the ancestors, there is no mention of George finding gold, getting an arrow in his gut, or anything resembling Mr. Fork's story. George and Martha had ten children, and I have read the personal history of the entire family. :read2:

It is detailed enough that I know about Georges accident when he was 16 years old, as well as his attempt to scare/slash teach Martha a lesson, he was supposed to be in St. Johns, by banging on their door late one night to see what she would do. He was nearly shot. She was 5'-5" tall and weighed 130 lbs, but stood much taller with a rifle.

The personal history of this family is a wonderful read for those interested in the history of Arizona. The personal letters and the written family memories are priceless.

I am not saying that Mr. Fork fabricated the story, just that it is not what was told in the family's written history. I would love to hear more from T.F. What is written and what is passed down by word of mouth is often at odds.

The family's history was compiled by Emma H. Adams in 1972.

Take care,

Joe

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
Excellent hunting on all of your parts guys. Your digging has proved more than ever. Sponseller was George's son in law and the foreman of the cattle ranch. I believe that the legends of Spanish gold in and around Spanish Fork canyon took them to Utah (Rhoads mines) as Dusty's relative Caleb Rhoads was hauling Spanish gold out of the mountains at the time for his own purposes as Brigam Young had died years before. Chief Wakara had made a deal with the church to get gold from one of 7 ancient Aztec mines which were known of by the Utes. Caleb and his father Thomas hauled over 20,000 pounds of ore on horseback over a period of around 40 years. Caleb died with the secret of their locations under oath to his native friends. I think the Adams gang moved there accordingly. A Sponseller told me about Arizona and I have walked in the canyon and seen the markers. Found a Spanish burro shoe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread