What's new

Lost Key Ring

baywalker

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
432
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on a set of keys at a yard sale the other day. I researched the name and all I could find was that the company was founded in the 1920's and made coke from coal and other chemicals. :BangHead: My question is: was this an employee key ring or a lost key ring return for customers. Also, the time the company would have been at the address on the tag.
Thanks for any help or information you can give me.

Jonnie
 

Attachments

  • koppers tag back.webp
    koppers tag back.webp
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • koppers tag front.webp
    koppers tag front.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,013
Interesting find, you should be able to locate the location of the maker if you want to do some research. 8)
 
Upvote 0
It could have belonged to an employee of the Kopper's Chocolate Company of NY. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
It could have belonged to an employee of the Kopper's Chocolate Company of NY. Breezie
Breeize I don;t think so the koppers co. that was at 16 court st. made coke from coal and that is all I now about that.

Jonnie
 
Upvote 0
So I did some digging on my school's databases...I found a few things. Looked like it was formed around 1917 based on the research I found. It was in PA for a while (1st pic), and apparently had other facories (2nd pic). Looked like 16 court street was a bank/lawyer complex in the late 1800s. Not until 1920 did i find the 3rd pic which indicates there were factory buildings at 16 court st. No reference of kopper's in connection with 16 court street though.
 

Attachments

  • Untitled.webp
    Untitled.webp
    17 KB · Views: 483
  • Untitled2.webp
    Untitled2.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 514
  • Untitled4.webp
    Untitled4.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 570
Upvote 0
I also have spent some time trying to link a Koppers Company to 16 Court Street and haven't found anything except a mention in a superfund ad. There is considerable history available on the Pittsburg Koppers Company that made coke, among other ventures, but no reference to having an office in Brooklyn. Same with the Koppers Chocolate Company, it appears that it's been at it's present location since opening, on Clarkson Street.

The Montague-Court Building (16 Court Street) was built in 1928 and is still Brooklyn's tallest office building. Because of it's location near the courthouse, it attracted many legal firms. (possibility one was called Koppers??)

I also looked into the logo on the back, and couldn't find much on that either. It resembles the Koppers Chocolate logo more than the Pitsburgh Koppers one.

Gotta love a good mystery.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom