Lost Lake, Maybe, and Hornstone Blade.

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these two authentic beauties hidden among a neglected collection just filled ….FILLED….with gaudy reproductions. So I was on my guard, as best as I could be. Widowed owner was interested to learn about authenticity and patina, and agreed to sell me these two pieces for a fair, reasonable price.

No provenance at all. But authentic artifacts speak for themselves! Plus, I ‘scoped them when I got home.

The projectile point exhibits significant patination, including iron deposition, throughout the piece. Even the interior of the notches have iron deposition/patina. The steep angle and depth of the notches, and those long barbed shoulders that result, have me typing this 1.75 inch piece as a Lost Lake. Extremely thin! About 3 or 4 mm. I appreciate any input from the more experienced folks here. Would it be safer to just call it an ‘early archaic corner notched point’? I have to admit I like the thought of owning a true Lost Lake: this would be my only one. At any rate, to think of those barbs remaining intact for 6000-9000 years is awe inspiring. And under the microscope, I see lots of blue inclusions. Could this be Coshocton flint? Not sure about the type of rock here.

The second piece I picked up just because I really like Indiana Hornstone. This 2 inch blade looks to be in really good condition, although I am not quite sure about the base. Is it ‘finished’ or does it show some breakage after it manufacture? Not sure, but a pretty blade.

Thanks for your viewpoints!

Attachments

• lake1.jpg
    lake1.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 59
  • lake2.jpg
    lake2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 61
  • lake3.jpg
    lake3.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 58
  • lake4.jpg
    lake4.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 57
  • horn1.jpg
    horn1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 56
  • horn2.jpg
    horn2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 11

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah, it is pretty easy to spot repros indeed. One of the best compliments I ever got was from an archie expert on my watershed that told me NOTHING in my collection (all found by me/family) raised any doubts. No G10's by the way... as if! Give me a field grade any day!

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My understanding - I'd say that wonderful save is a Kirk corner-notched rather than a Lost Lake due to it's beveling. Kirk's are bi-beveled as I believe that's what I'm seeing in your find and Lost Lakes are beveled on one side of each face--even when resharpened.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread