Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal. It issn't on the market yet, constant revisions as new evidence coms on line -- mostly on Jesuit involvments, Such as the insurrection , and the movement of dore' bars to Rome via the Caballo mt and the rio del Norte, however you have been added to my list of friends for an autographed copy -- if it ever comes, however will have to stop the progression of it some day.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchase Oro?? nah , since when does an associate need to purchase a book which he helped to develop , sides you already have more critical - secret - information than is in the book.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, I believe that the unholy posted on that one with pictures of the marking on the sea ward coast

Good story Mal, keep it up "sir" -- after all Being a capt of a vessel larger than most ships in ww 2 , rates a salute and respect.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, since this is your 50 th birthday, I'll send you a copy of the book whenever it is printed as a birthday present.

"I turned 50 today"

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal. It issn't on the market yet, constant revisions as new evidence coms on line -- mostly on Jesuit involvments, Such as the insurrection , and the movement of dore' bars to Rome via the Caballo mt and the rio del Norte, however you have been added to my list of friends for an autographed copy -- if it ever comes, however will have to stop the progression of it some day.

Compadre, just change the title to "Tayopa The Never Ending Story", and print the dern thing.:tongue3: cafesito? :coffee2::coffee2:

Homar

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
RdT: If I may offer you some free advice (guaranteed to be worth what you pay for it!) - no factual book is ever finished. And this can be a classic case of the great being the enemy of the very good.

Don't wait. Put what you have out there and call it the "first edition." It can always be revised, expanded, corrected, enlarged, expanded, etc.

This is the old university professor trick! Put out a new edition each year and your faithful scholars must purchase the latest edition - not the more inexpensive used previous version (for which an author gets no royalty)...I remember a teacher at SF State who required students to buy the hardcover - not the paperback.

Anyway - as one with many unfinished books "in progress" (so I'm an expert on the subject) - don't wait! Publish before you perish.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Thank you!

I have a small addition to my Lost Arch thread coming up soon (speaking of works in progress).

And a new thread about the book on the JFK assassination that was just published. The protagonist was, early in his career, a treasure diver...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
SSM: There are four general categories of treasure hunting literature:

I. Fact: Perhaps this is the rarest. There are excellent "how-to" handbooks and manuals, works of history that are factually correct, biographies and autobiographies, etc.

II. Folklore:
Prof. J. Frank Dobie is the obvious example here. Often founded in fact, these yarns and legends will generally have a good deal of barren rock mixed in with the valuable ore.

III. Fantasy: These are the stories written by those who claim to be successful treasure finders - but the writers fail to produce any real evidence to back up the claims. F.L. Coffman, Lieut. Harry E. Rieseberg, Frank Fish (including that name won't make me any more popular here!), Jennings in the book by Robin Moore, the much more recent W.C. Jameson is their direct literary heir, and far too many more to count. In many respects these are the least worthwhile contributions to the literature because serious people may well mistake them for fact.

IV. Fiction: Novels and short stories can be very instructive. There's a great deal to learned, for example, from the classic Treasure Island. Recently here on TN a thread was started asking for the desirable traits in a treasure hunting crew. Being lucky wasn't mentioned - but generals from Napoleon to Blackjack Haskins have valued that trait above all others. Many of the posts reflected the hard won knowledge found in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (and as good as the movie is, the book is still better). A recent personal favorite is the first-rate Plunder of the Sun.

Where does an author such as Harold T. Wilkins and his many accounts of pirate treasure maps belong? Keep him out of "Fact" and he'd fit into either Fiction or Fantasy.

Now - to determine in which category any book or article belongs? That's the art, now isn't it...?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ole bookaroo. believe that it would be confined to catagory1 along with 'non verifiable' facts.

as for Dobie, I doubt that he ever was there, but compiled his stories from others.

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
SSM: There are four general categories of treasure hunting literature:

I. Fact: Perhaps this is the rarest. There are excellent "how-to" handbooks and manuals, works of history that are factually correct, biographies and autobiographies, etc.

II. Folklore:
Prof. J. Frank Dobie is the obvious example here. Often founded in fact, these yarns and legends will generally have a good deal of barren rock mixed in with the valuable ore.

III. Fantasy: These are the stories written by those who claim to be successful treasure finders - but the writers fail to produce any real evidence to back up the claims. F.L. Coffman, Lieut. Harry E. Rieseberg, Frank Fish (including that name won't make me any more popular here!), Jennings in the book by Robin Moore, the much more recent W.C. Jameson is their direct literary heir, and far too many more to count. In many respects these are the least worthwhile contributions to the literature because serious people may well mistake them for fact.

IV. Fiction: Novels and short stories can be very instructive. There's a great deal to learned, for example, from the classic Treasure Island. Recently here on TN a thread was started asking for the desirable traits in a treasure hunting crew. Being lucky wasn't mentioned - but generals from Napoleon to Blackjack Haskins have valued that trait above all others. Many of the posts reflected the hard won knowledge found in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (and as good as the movie is, the book is still better). A recent personal favorite is the first-rate Plunder of the Sun.

Where does an author such as Harold T. Wilkins and his many accounts of pirate treasure maps belong? Keep him out of "Fact" and he'd fit into either Fiction or Fantasy.

Now - to determine in which category any book or article belongs? That's the art, now isn't it...?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

What category will your book fall into?

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding Richard Latcham and the book shown:

http://thegreatlosttreasure.info/Page5.html

I found this website a bit difficult to follow - rather like some of Harold T. Wilkins' books. However, the overall thrust is made quite clear!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old bookeroo

Harold T Wilkins to me was never a really treasure hunter only a author who got on the treasure hunting band wagon to flog books. After the treasure hunting craze died down in the late 1930's he went on to wrote about UFOS. It is clear he was prostituting his writing out to what sells at the time. He I believe did not care what he really wrote as for him the REAL treasure was writing books about it not actually searching for it.,

As for this other guy the graal finder general I wonder why Tayopa was not included in the great lost treasure theory? He seemed to have added everything else?

Don Jose you never said what first got you interested in finding the Tayopa complex?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, I believe that the unholy posted on that one with pictures of the marking on the sea ward coast

Good story Mal, keep it up "sir" -- after all Being a capt of a vessel larger than most ships in ww 2 , rates a salute and respect.

Thanks for the compliment but the real compliment should go to you guys the unsung heroes out there pushing the boundaries of understanding forgotten parts of history and daring to dream.

Mal

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Howdy!

My preference is always for "Fact." Back in the day I published a number of magazine articles - including the first documented history of the Brother Jonathan. Yes, there was an Army payroll aboard. Unfortunately - at least for treasure divers - it was not specie. It was paper money. I wrote the story of the loss of the Yankee Blade, a" frequently mentioned "treasure wreck. She did have gold aboard - and it was salvaged very soon after she went onto the rocks at Rio Honda. I wasn't able to prove a negative and document there wasn't any treasure aboard the City of Rio de Janeiro when she was lost in the fog of the Golden Gate. But there is no documented evidence there was any silver loaded in the Far East, either. "Chinese silver," perhaps - or, as we know it today, "tin." This is an interesting wreck because it's a registered Historical Landmark yet it's location is secret.

I did write the first article summarizing the shipwrecks in Lake Michigan's Manitou Passage. That was supposed to be "fact" but, unfortunately, my research was a bit faulty (I was just out of high school - a poor excuse) and it wasn't as accurate as I'd prefer...

As for the works in progress - fact as well as reprints. It's best to not talk about such projects, as discussion becomes an epigoneous substitution for action...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Er is that the famed El candelabra you mention in southern Peru?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy!

My preference is always for "Fact." Back in the day I published a number of magazine articles - including the first documented history of the Brother Jonathan. Yes, there was an Army payroll aboard. Unfortunately - at least for treasure divers - it was not specie. It was paper money. I wrote the story of the loss of the Yankee Blade, a" frequently mentioned "treasure wreck. She did have gold aboard - and it was salvaged very soon after she went onto the rocks at Rio Honda. I wasn't able to prove a negative and document there wasn't any treasure aboard the City of Rio de Janeiro when she was lost in the fog of the Golden Gate. But there is no documented evidence there was any silver loaded in the Far East, either. "Chinese silver," perhaps - or, as we know it today, "tin." This is an interesting wreck because it's a registered Historical Landmark yet it's location is secret.

I did write the first article summarizing the shipwrecks in Lake Michigan's Manitou Passage. That was supposed to be "fact" but, unfortunately, my research was a bit faulty (I was just out of high school - a poor excuse) and it wasn't as accurate as I'd prefer...

As for the works in progress - fact as well as reprints. It's best to not talk about such projects, as discussion becomes an epigoneous substitution for action...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Good to read your very astute with your research.

Mal

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Only after I eat a large bowl of chili...

[Sorry - I couldn't resist.]

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread