What's new

lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

ivan salis

Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
16,836
Reaction score
3,817
Golden Thread
0
Location
callahan,fl
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

yep folks they heard those of us that protested their article "on hunting graveyards" "loud and clear" ---no more articles on hunting old / abandoned "graveyards" or graveyard hunting will be gracing the pages of LOST TREASURE metal detecting magazine. according to the "apology" E Mail post I got back from their editor---

Yep I read em riot act -- articles in metal detecting magazines on hunting "graveyatds" --- is just the kind of "image" we do not want or need to project ----a printed article in a "detectorist "magazine that says go into graveyards looking for stuff * --talk about perfect fodder for anti metal detectorist to take to a law maker to try and use to shut down our hobby by painting us as "grave robbing ghouls" --- dumb -dumb --dumb!!! ----- you gotta think before printing in ink.

Ivan
 
Re: found in my e mail box - lost treasure " apology" for running -graveyard hunting

I remember that post .I thought what a stupid post . some people don't think
 
Re: found in my e mail box - lost treasure " apology" for running -graveyard hunting

I wish people looked as the internet as a toy they take things to seriously. :tongue3: Even if it has nothing to do with them, Why can't people just mind their business. ??? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
Re: found in my e mail box - lost treasure " apology" for running -graveyard hunting

This article I read in the magazine, in fact the subject about hunting in grave yards was brought up in the monthly club meeting that I am a member of. There is this one guy that he finds old coins, he told the others he hunts a grave yard. With me and the members in the club say its taboo to hunt in these places even the subject doesn't normally come up. And then I get the magazine and a story is printed in it, gives me the chills to even think about hunting in a cemetary ( got to respect the families and dead ).
~Audiz~
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

yep LOST TREASURE MAGAZINE sent me and many others too I gather --an E mail -- that basically said --- we're very sorry and we will NOT run any more graveyard hunting articles ever.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

the article was about huntung in clearly "known" to be graveyard areas --- thus in my veiw was in bad taste , and not in the overall best interest of the hobby as its "bad press" that could easily be turned against the hobby.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

ivan salis said:
the article was about huntung in clearly "known" to be graveyard areas --- thus in my veiw was in bad taste , and not in the overall best interest of the hobby as its "bad press" that could easily be turned against the hobby.
Well thats the point, some hobbists is wanting to get his day in the sun so badly that they submit an article of questionable merit. The magazine is prepared by people who are only concerned with making a deadline for an issue. Business today casts aside ethics when the dollar sign is factored in. The magazine industry only knows about making magazines, they know and can care less about the actual hobby of metal detecting.
Now then, what are the chances this magazine article was seen by anyone but someone who partakes in metal detecting? I think the answer is pretty slim, given the fact that free issue cards are tossed in each metal detector ordered thru outlets such as Kellyco. In the past, just two years ago, phones were being answered across America, the home owner discovered it was just another telemarketer. This one was different, this one was asking if folks were interested in subcribing to "Lost Treasure Magazine!" Expect this one to fold in the near future folks.
I really doubt that anyone cares if our rights to metal detect amongst the dead is being challenged, this is called a "red herring." The real issue that stirrs folks up about this is the fact that simple little parks and public places are being made off limits, permission is required and asked for. The answer given is "NO!" Let those who make money off the hobby pick up the battle! We see folks who swing the coils and post their finds complaining, but where are the metal detector manufactors? Their making their money with every purchase, they could care less if anyone has anywhere to hunt outside of ones own yard. Maybe the advantage for the hobby is those folks who live outside of the big cities. Big cities seem to have the most restrictions, big cities also seem to have issues with folks digging holes in their parks, not their cemeteries.
I for one believe "Lost Treasure Magazine" has little blame for the bad image this hobby has. The battle to save the hobby's image is going to be a tough one, when some seeker of prestige believing that a key date coin is over on property that doesn't belong to them and will stop at nothing to get that coin! Finding something rare and valuable has been the drive behind all of us at some point, to deny this is telling ourselves lies!
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

agreed much bad press comes from bad detectorist types ( folks that tresspass -- dig holes and do not refill em --- dig up junk and leave it laying there on the surface ) agreed this type of activity hurts the hobby a lot --but we don't need even MORE bad press is my point -- we need to police ourselves a bit if we don't want others doing it for us.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I for one will never purchase another copy of Lost Treasure Magazine. To have allowed such an article to make it to print shows their total lack of knowledge about the treasure hunting community in general and more specifically the morals and high standards to which we all aspire. They have effectively set back the Metal Detecting community by at least twenty years in our efforts to wipe away the image of grave robbers that have so erroneously been pinned to our backsides by the Archeologists and elitist left. For this grave error in judgment a simple OOoopppss I'm sorry just doesn't cut it. I will be drafting a letter and demanding the print a retraction with full appology and explanation >:( about our code of conduct and a definitive action with which they can contribute to educate the public as well as the archeology community that we are not now nor have we ever condoned hunting in such areas for any reason. If need be I'll work to organize a grass roots opposition to said magazine as well as it's author.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I would agree its wrong to hunt graveyards, but being a Veteran I would say they can print anything they want, otherwise it would be Unconstitutional. I thought the article was informative, but I will exercise my right and my choice to stay out of cemeteries.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

It is wrong to hunt graveyards period. That being said, that article by Lost Treasure was
not well thought out, from a business point of view. In that their primary costumers are people
who metal detect. Just my thoughts I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they
do something like that. :icon_scratch:.

Roadquest
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Put a lid on it. Don't add fuel to it. Let it die.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I doubt that any actual grave yards were damaged by anyone reading this article. Lost Treasure magazine has apologized and I concider this issue closed.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

the point is that "the article on hunting graveyards" should not have been ran in the first place * -- magazines articles like that are just what anti metal detectorist want as "ammo" when they go into a law makers office trying to ban the hobby. --- yes i think "lost treasure" learned a important lesson here -- but we detectorist did too --that we need to "police" our own actions and deeds --that is f we don't want others to do it for us via "new" laws and regulations.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

It matters not what side of an issue that a person believes, what matters most is respecting the rights of others to voice theirs without atacking them just because they see things differently.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Aside form all this I have often wondered why the metal detecting businesses and manufacturers haven't been more responsible for taking on the archies who actively seek to destroy our hobbies. I don't mean all archies, just those who think artifacts should lay in the ground and rot. I can't remember any of the aforementioned group ever doing anything to support our hobby. Maybe they have and I just haven't seen it and maybe they don't tell us because they are preaching to the choir but I'd like to know. And by the way, I wouldn't hunt a graveyard, but would hunt the perimeters and parking areas adjacent. I wouldn't want someone digging on top of my grandfather's grave. Monty
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Personally I wouldnt even consider,detecting a grave yard. Thats sacred ground,disturbing the peace. That was nice of LT for apologizing though. I subscribe to both LT and WE Treasures for years,but WE is clearly my favorite magazine :thumbsup:
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I think the manufacturers and publications aren't worried about what we want because they all think they can live off of there European market. One day they all plan to move there and use cheap Chinese labor and parts to make everything and just sell it for Euros, since most of the U.S. will be owned by Chines and Eropean special interest groups. Hell the U.N. Already has rights to all our national parks which is why we'll never get to hunt them. >:(
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Maybe the makers of metal detectrors really don't care what happens to our rights to metal detect, their only concern is sales after all.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

we lose our rights they lose their sales --simple math, folks that can not dig do not need detectors or treasure hunting mags. --now do they? ???
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom