What's new

lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Re: found in my e mail box - lost treasure " apology" for running -graveyard hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I wish people looked as the internet as a toy they take things to seriously. :tongue3: Even if it has nothing to do with them, Why can't people just mind their business. ??? :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!!

Because it IS serious when it's printed here. Posts here are read by just as many or MORE people as lost treasures magazine is.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

MD Dog said:
in our efforts to wipe away the image of grave robbers that have so erroneously been pinned to our backsides by the Archeologists and elitist left.

I didn't know all Archaeologists "left wing." But it stands to reason, since all MDists are card waving republicans (as shown by our fake little Tnet "vote" here), and since it is clearly a case of US or THEM.


Of course Archaeologists are all Elitist since they know something that they went to school for. Damned Educated people. They suck. And I'm scared of them too. :D




-Buck
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Monty said:
Aside form all this I have often  wondered why the metal detecting businesses and manufacturers haven't been more responsible for taking on the archies who actively seek to destroy our hobbies.  I don't mean all archies, just those who think artifacts should lay in the ground and rot.  I can't remember any of the aforementioned group ever doing anything to support our hobby.  Maybe they have and I just haven't seen it and maybe  they don't tell us because they are preaching to the choir but I'd like to know. 


Well, you'd think that they should take some ownership of the hobby.  After all, they make the Big Bucks on us--and they have the power and financial sway to go to bat for us when needed. 


But you know what?  Typical Big Businesses.  When it comes right down to it, they will allow the hobby to be legislated against, and cut their own throats in terms of sales.  In a way, it's partly their fault.  In the old days, mainly responsible old timers were detecting.  After the market scheme of making cheaper units ($100-200) and making up for narrow profits by saturating the market with them, just about any idiot can buy a Wal-Mart detector and go dig up a graveyard.


The last time I made a post about detector manufacturers needing to take an active role in our hobby, the post was deleted.  Let's see what happens here.  :wink:



Regards,



Buckles
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I'd like to see the manufacturers and big businesses of the detecting world get involved like the firearms manufacturers do with the NRA. Every year they sponsor dozens of activities for shooters and firearms owners and even have lobbyests in congress. But to the contrary, if one the metal detector companies is asked to sponsor an event they send a dozen plastic aprons, a few hats and maybe a carrying bag and offer some kind of discount on a detector for a prize. In the firearms industry they give away guns and ammo and have factory reps at every shooting event, and sponsor dozens of tremendous events throughout the USA every year. I'd like to see Garrett, or White, or Minelab, or Fisher or any of the big companies to even show up at a metal detecting event. But you say, they aren't as big as the firearms people. Maybe not and they will never be they way they do business. How many of you have ever even had the opportunity to talk to one of their reps in person? I don't know anyone who has. Anyway, Food for thought. Didn't mean to steal the thread. Monty
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I just made a post two days ago About manufacturers and Publishers taking responsibility for the sport and it got, one response From Monty. Thank you Monty. It would seem to me judging by that one post, it may very well be that it is the Detectorists and they're lazy attitudes that are partly at least to blame. Too many seem more than willing to sit back and let others fight their battles for them. If I'm right and that's the case then the whole thing is a mute point. It's kinda like going to Amish country and seeing a biker gang terrorizing the populace, if they won't lift a finger in their own defense then neither will I. I can find another hobby/sport just as easy as anyone else. :icon_scratch:
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I've never even given a thought to detecting a graveyard. But............

There are folks who hunt in the San Fransisco area for artifacts from the great quake. There are others who go to the Titanic to get artifacts from people who died. The treasure ships all met their doom and many people died. The Treasure Coast constantly gives up coins that were part of a great human tragedy of many deaths due to hurricanes. The Outer Banks is known as the graveyard of ships with many thousands of deaths. People died on those beaches. And the beaches are detected almost every day. In Europe, ancient battles where many died are detected.

Much of the Treasure is there because of the misfortune of others in the past. A lost 5 dollar gold piece was for most a weeks wages. His family probably did not eat that week. A broken sword was evidence of a life and death struggle. Human tragedy is everywhere. And yet we detect to find those things lost.

And lets face it. The dead know nothing. They care not if you dig around. It is the living we have to worry about.

Not that I am supporting digging in a graveyard. I would think that general public opinion would make anyone with common sense rethink their thought about graveyard detecting. The future of metal detecting depends on it.

Graveyard metal detecting is a no no if we want to keep detecting.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting arti

MD Dog said:
I just made a post two days ago About manufacturers and Publishers taking responsibility for the sport and it got, one response From Monty. Thank you Monty. It would seem to me judging by that one post, it may very well be that it is the Detectorists and they're lazy attitudes that are partly at least to blame. Too many seem more than willing to sit back and let others fight their battles for them. If I'm right and that's the case then the whole thing is a mute point. It's kinda like going to Amish country and seeing a biker gang terrorizing the populace, if they won't lift a finger in their own defense then neither will I. I can find another hobby/sport just as easy as anyone else. :icon_scratch:

I didn't even see your post. Is it posted in a section that I have set to "ignore"? Can you share a link?


Regards,


Buckles
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

BuckleBoy said:
MD Dog said:
in our efforts to wipe away the image of grave robbers that have so erroneously been pinned to our backsides by the Archeologists and elitist left.

I didn't know all Archaeologists "left wing." But it stands to reason, since all MDists are card waving republicans (as shown by our fake little Tnet "vote" here), and since it is clearly a case of US or THEM.


Of course Archaeologists are all Elitist since they know something that they went to school for. Damned Educated people. They suck. And I'm scared of them too. :D




-Buck
I am an educated person just like other detectorist. If educated detectorist scare you, then you might want to find another hobby. I am one person that would not desicrate a graveyard by considering hunting them. All of us have that code and education is what the code is based on, to educate us on keeping the wierdos from passing laws to limit our hobby.

It's the people that print articles on graveyard robbing that don't have a code of ethics. No code of ethics, no education. Now THAT scares me. ???
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

Montana Fireball said:
It matters not what side of an issue that a person believes, what matters most is respecting the rights of others to voice theirs without attacking them just because they see things differently.

I agree. I think the article should have run with Lost Treasure running a disclaimer.

Me personally, I won't hunt IN a cemetery but I will hunt on the perimeter of one.
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting arti

BuckleBoy said:
MD Dog said:
I just made a post two days ago About manufacturers and Publishers taking responsibility for the sport and it got, one response From Monty. Thank you Monty. It would seem to me judging by that one post, it may very well be that it is the Detectorists and they're lazy attitudes that are partly at least to blame. Too many seem more than willing to sit back and let others fight their battles for them. If I'm right and that's the case then the whole thing is a mute point. It's kinda like going to Amish country and seeing a biker gang terrorizing the populace, if they won't lift a finger in their own defense then neither will I. I can find another hobby/sport just as easy as anyone else. :icon_scratch:

I didn't even see your post. Is it posted in a section that I have set to "ignore"? Can you share a link?


Regards,


Buckles

I don't know why you would have this area off limits Buckles ??? ::)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,233672.0.html
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting arti

MD Dog said:
BuckleBoy said:
MD Dog said:
I just made a post two days ago About manufacturers and Publishers taking responsibility for the sport and it got, one response From Monty. Thank you Monty. It would seem to me judging by that one post, it may very well be that it is the Detectorists and they're lazy attitudes that are partly at least to blame. Too many seem more than willing to sit back and let others fight their battles for them. If I'm right and that's the case then the whole thing is a mute point. It's kinda like going to Amish country and seeing a biker gang terrorizing the populace, if they won't lift a finger in their own defense then neither will I. I can find another hobby/sport just as easy as anyone else. :icon_scratch:

I didn't even see your post. Is it posted in a section that I have set to "ignore"? Can you share a link?


Regards,


Buckles

I don't know why you would have this area off limits Buckles ??? ::)
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,233672.0.html

Yep. It had the word "politics" in the title--which is not something I care to stress over on a fourm such as this.

So I'm sure I saw that and didn't even click on it.

:(


But that is a Very good post--and if I'd read it at the time, you can bet your bottom dollar I would've replied.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I took the word "political" out of the title and re-posted it with a bump. We'll see if it gets more attention this time around or not. :P ::)
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

MD Dog said:
I took the word "political" out of the title and re-posted it with a bump. We'll see if it gets more attention this time around or not. :P ::)

I hope so. Even though I know I don't say it very often to you, I'm in total agreement with what you said in the post.



Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

ivan salis said:
the point is that "the article on hunting graveyards" should not have been ran in the first place * -- magazines articles like that are just what anti metal detectorist want as "ammo" when they go into a law makers office trying to ban the hobby. --- yes i think "lost treasure" learned a important lesson here -- but we detectorist did too --that we need to "police" our own actions and deeds --that is f we don't want others to do it for us via "new" laws and regulations.
I am glad to see that "We Detectorists" have someone like you to speak for the masses. Don't the animal right activists have something like this as well????
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I can speak for myself and My "personal" hobby rights --I do not claim the right to speak for others * - however if no one speaks at all who will know anything about anything?

if you like to detect please take note --articles like this are used as "ammo" by anti metal detectorist types when they visit law makers trying to get metal detcting barred or outlawed --they use articles like this in a attempt to paint normal hobby metal detectorist as "graverobbers" and robbers of history with no respect for things --- saying their merely a bunch of money grubbing yahoo's and pillagers -- see read this article in one of THEIR MAGAZINES on "graveyard hunting"

and yes there are "animal right" type folks --and no I'm far from one of em -- I like hunting and eating the flesh of animals --- my ideal of PETA is (people eating tasty animals) *
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

I believe there is already a group called DAMMAU.

Detectorists
Against
Malicious
Magazine
Artical's
United
 
Re: lost treasure magazine sends " apology" for running -graveyard hunting article

steve from ohio said:
I've never even given a thought to detecting a graveyard. But............

There are folks who hunt in the San Fransisco area for artifacts from the great quake. There are others who go to the Titanic to get artifacts from people who died. The treasure ships all met their doom and many people died. The Treasure Coast constantly gives up coins that were part of a great human tragedy of many deaths due to hurricanes. The Outer Banks is known as the graveyard of ships with many thousands of deaths. People died on those beaches. And the beaches are detected almost every day. In Europe, ancient battles where many died are detected.

Much of the Treasure is there because of the misfortune of others in the past. A lost 5 dollar gold piece was for most a weeks wages. His family probably did not eat that week. A broken sword was evidence of a life and death struggle. Human tragedy is everywhere. And yet we detect to find those things lost.

And lets face it. The dead know nothing. They care not if you dig around. It is the living we have to worry about.

Not that I am supporting digging in a graveyard. I would think that general public opinion would make anyone with common sense rethink their thought about graveyard detecting. The future of metal detecting depends on it.

Graveyard metal detecting is a no no if we want to keep detecting.


Couldn't have said it any better myself. The problem for me in hunting graveyards is the public perception of it. I personally would never do it for that reason. A person not familiar with detecting would be likely to think you're a graverobber.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom