What's new

Lots of Yellow!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting beach day for me. This particular stretch of my local beach just delivers on a regular basis.

I prefer hunting the wet sand but usually turn on my Dual Field a few yards from the wet. First sweep and the target in the scoop is a gold crucifix earring from the dry sand.



I'm thinking...hmmm maybe the other one is here too. Earrings are a lot more interesting in pairs. AND lo and behold just about two feet away I grabbed the other one! Total weight...about 11 grams.



The next 30 minutes in the wet sand it's just coins but I am not proud ... I accept them graciously. Then a huge signal and I had to get down to about 10" before it was in my scoop. AND it was huge! An Indian chief ring at about 9 grams.



I was about at the extreme edge of my range which is a lifeguard tower. There at about 6" deep a nice glittering gold chain bracelet. Weighed in at 15.6 grams.



So in my pouch along with quite a few coins I have these yellow items. Whenever I make a good find I am usually careful about not advertising it too loudly. No victory dance for me. I slip the item in my pouch and usually wait till I get back to my car and then try to locate the all important marks...like 18K or 14K or PLAT.

Darn..couldn't make out any marks on these items at all. Well I figured at home. But sadly...it appears the Indian chief is brass...it has a crystalline structure. No marks at 15X magnification on the earrings or chain.

SO..not my best score but a fun hunt where the dream stayed alive ... for a little while.

 
Upvote 0
Did you acid test those earrings? They look like they have a screw on type backing.....usually a good sign. The Indian ring is dam cool....even if its just brass.
 
Nice hunt, to bad about the ring. Don't know how many times I've been told "gold earrings will have a screw on holder" or something more substantial, instead of just a wire for the pierced ear.... I was really hoping you could prove that wrong.....those looked good to me!
Cliff
 
Dr. Joe, those are real nice finds; maybe check out those earrings further..they look so good !

I like that Indian ring and the bracelet , also:hello2:

HH

Lorraine
 
Love the Indian Head ring.
 
You might want to change your name to Dr. Feelgood for the day. Those are some nice finds !!!! Get a gold and silver testing kit they are cheap. I found an Indian Chief ring last month that I thought was trash because it had no markings and tested positive for Silver.
 
Joe, Congrats on an adrenaline filled day hunting!!
get the acid test kit!


SnT
 
WOW!! What a day's haul!!
 
Nice finds! It will always be the thrill of the hunt and watching the sand sluice away from those yellow tickets in the scoop.
 
I actually have several gold items that are not marked but test positive for 14k. Not all gold is marked, particularly if it is custom made, or made outside the US. Those finds look good to me.... Keep it up. Beach Papa
 
Nice finds even if there not gold...congrats on a good hunt.
 
Joe, When I ran into you this evening, I now know why you didn't disclose which beach you were at prior.
NICE finds !! - TomB
 
Great hunt even if they turn out to be costume jewelry.
 
I have seen these Indian rings posted before and I would so love to find one. Hard to find men's rings that are distinctive, and yours certainly is.
 
Your on fire Doc! Your on fire. :occasion14: :occasion14:
 
I hate when that happens, it's like pulling out those stainless steel rings. At first you think you have a nice men's silver wedding band then boom, your balloon pops and you realize it's just stainless. Still gives you enough of a thrill to keep you coming back though :-)
 
WTG,,Dr.Joe,you did well,awesome Hunt,,many more:headbang::spam4:
 
Hey another neighbor..

Hi Joe

All very nice pieces... especially the ring, but you should test them. I got the adrenalin going last week when I pulled a big fat, what I thought was, an awesome gold bracelet...but noooo!. Just a gold plated stainless steel knock off....it fooled me until I got home.

Rich
 
Imagine my excitement when I dug this. It's stamped 14k, has the air holes for the stones, thought I had a beauty until I had it tested. It's 14k but the stones are glass :-( It was still an awesome find though :-)

ForumRunner_20131017_234458.webp



ForumRunner_20131017_234528.webp



ForumRunner_20131017_234551.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom