What's new

Love Findin Em on Dort Roads...

Huskerhunter

Full Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2011
Messages
113
Reaction score
468
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Love Findin' Em on Dort Roads...

Found a smoker of a Hardin this morning on a dirt road. The Indian Gods sure like to give up artifacts to me when I have my son along. He's definately my good luck charm! Found in S.W. Iowa
 

Attachments

  • 1438539880925.webp
    1438539880925.webp
    174.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 1438539899926.webp
    1438539899926.webp
    141.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1438539917775.webp
    1438539917775.webp
    143.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 1438539933235.webp
    1438539933235.webp
    112.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 1438539946325.webp
    1438539946325.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 150
Upvote 0
Killer find. Were you actually walking the road looking for artifacts or did you spot it from the car? Also, it looks more Woodland/Hopewell to me that a Hardin.
 
Dandy piece and stuck out like a sore thumb. Good fortune that the grader didn't hit it. I'd check those dirt berms around there but you probably already did. Congrats......
 
Killer find. Were you actually walking the road looking for artifacts or did you spot it from the car? Also, it looks more Woodland/Hopewell to me that a Hardin.

I was just around looking for random dirt roads and I found one that looked promising. I did some bohemian trolling, which is driving really slow with my head out the window, and found a flake. So I unloaded the boy and walked almost a mile in one direction and found nothing. I decided to walk behind my car and 10 feet behind my car on the passenger side, I saw it looking up at me. I'm glad I decided to walk back a little ways otherwise it would still be there.

And I am just guessing Hardin. What type would you say it is?
 
Nice looking point :icon_thumleft:
 
Wow! Now that's a beauty! Talk about the right place at the right time and having your lucky charm by your side is the best of times!
 
Good eye HH There is a lot of roads that blaze on through camps here , the road grader can drag stuff for miles of origin.
 
Holy crap!! I didnt think the point was all that big, (but nice), and then i looked at the picture with your hand jn it... Wow!! What a dandy... :thumbsup:
 
That is a very nice find. I found a lot of points on a dirt road that went into my grandfather's farm many years ago. Some of the best points I have ever found came from where the dirt road crossed over a small creek.
 
nice one,nice story also
 
Excellent Find! :icon_thumright: I have found two points in the manner that you said by driving along slowly through the sagebrush flats.
 
If I had found that here in southern Ohio I would classify it as a Middle Woodland/Hopewell type. It not really a Snyders, but it's in that cluster of Point types with the large notches and no grinding.
 
I do the drive by to while going in the fields. Its a dirt road I laughed when you said you were hanging your head out the window cause I do that.
 
I agree Grim, we have some Hopewell sights scattered about that must have trickled up from KC. You can definately tell the fifference between the Glenwood culture sites and Hopewell sites because of the lithics and size of artifacts. It looks like a Stuben to me. And Rock, it is a lazy way to cover some ground. I think of it as maximizing my hunting time though so I don't feel bad. It is easy on the legs and back, but super hard on my clutch.
 
I drive till I see some debitage then park and get out. Most of the area is woodland to Mississippian so the points are all small so the debitage is a great head start to finding something. I have walked every inch of the fields out there but am always hoping to find a new camp site that I might of missed in the past. That's a nice big point you found.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom