What's new

Love the gun, but need help-updated pics

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
I think this is a cool find, but I'm not sure what it is. I can't find anything similar on the internet. I'm still sick about nicking it and taking the patina off of one side of the stock. It is cast but I don't know the metal. Not magnetic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scratcher

I hope these new pics help.
 

Attachments

  • gun 001.webp
    gun 001.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 707
  • gun 002.webp
    gun 002.webp
    5.6 KB · Views: 728
  • gun 003.webp
    gun 003.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 714
  • gun 005.webp
    gun 005.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 699
  • gun 007.webp
    gun 007.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 588
  • gun 013.webp
    gun 013.webp
    20 KB · Views: 549
  • gun 012.webp
    gun 012.webp
    44.6 KB · Views: 559
  • gun 011.webp
    gun 011.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 539
Am curious as to how the trigger/hammer assembly would work to have the striking power to fire a cap. It looks like a one piece operation that would depend on the power of the finger pull rather than a spring equipped one as the larger cap guns.
Thanks for the info on the "pin fire" gun. I never owned one but sure would like to find one now. The picture was because of the similarity(slight) in appearance.
 
Upvote 0
Here are some closeups, BCH. I'm certainly not sure that is supposed to be a native American.
BB, it was found at a remote site where my brother found a cut reale last week(1788 I think). I recovered what I believe to be a very early folding knife nearby also at approx. the same depth. It's not the kind of place you would see young children playing often anytime in the recent past. Thanks for the interest and let me know if anyone has anymore info.

Scratcher
 

Attachments

  • guncloseups 003.webp
    guncloseups 003.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 233
  • guncloseups 005.webp
    guncloseups 005.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 232
Upvote 0
silverswede said:
Am curious as to how the trigger/hammer assembly would work to have the striking power to fire a cap. It looks like a one piece operation that would depend on the power of the finger pull rather than a spring equipped one as the larger cap guns.
Thanks for the info on the "pin fire" gun. I never owned one but sure would like to find one now. The picture was because of the similarity(slight) in appearance.

Silverswede, it appears to me that there is a separate iron pin for the trigger and hammer to rotate on separately. That makes me think there was a spring assembly of some kind inside. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom