What's new

Loving the New Excalibur But........

JD-GA

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
467
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is there anyway to get around having to run my detector over my scoop to reset the threshold noise after going over an iron target? I have my setting on 2 which discriminates iron, i here the null in the threshold then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8 times louder and more obnoxious sounding buzz and the only way to reset is to drop my scoop near the detector to reset the noise. Ive tried playing with the sensitivity, threshold, and volume but I get the same issue + or - how loud is sounds.

Is there no way to tell when this thing is recharging? No light or anything to tell you its plugged in and charging? Ouch.

Other than that I absolutely love the choice. Ive found a couple fake hoop earings, 1 plated gold ring, and a handfull of change in only 3 hours total use with 0 previous water hunting experience. Lots and lots of 1970s and 1980s pull back pop tops and budweiser beer caps so I think im in a good spot. If I could figure how to keep from resetting my sound after nulls every 10 seconds I would probably make love to the machine.... that is how much I like it.

P.S of course everything ive been willing to make love to before this point has also not been willing to shut up or turn the volume down every 10 seconds either.
 
Upvote 0
JD-GA said:
Is there anyway to get around having to run my detector over my scoop to reset the threshold noise after going over an iron target? I have my setting on 2 which discriminates iron, i here the null in the threshold then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8 times louder and more obnoxious sounding buzz and the only way to reset is to drop my scoop near the detector to reset the noise. Ive tried playing with the sensitivity, threshold, and volume but I get the same issue + or - how loud is sounds.

Is there no way to tell when this thing is recharging? No light or anything to tell you its plugged in and charging? Ouch.

Other than that I absolutely love the choice. Ive found a couple fake hoop earings, 1 plated gold ring, and a handfull of change in only 3 hours total use with 0 previous water hunting experience. Lots and lots of 1970s and 1980s pull back pop tops and budweiser beer caps so I think im in a good spot. If I could figure how to keep from resetting my sound after nulls every 10 seconds I would probably make love to the machine.... that is how much I like it.

P.S of course everything ive been willing to make love to before this point has also not been willing to shut up or turn the volume down every 10 seconds either.
The excal is a great machine as for the thresh hold you can keep hunting and it will go back to normal. The Excal will automatically null on Iron period with out setting disc on mine I run at 1 on disc don't want to miss the thin gold. as for the charger the only way to tell is if the bat.pack is warm I know it sucks but it's the only way .low and slow is the way to go with the Excal if you are going to fast and it nulls you can pass over some good targets because of the recovery time.
hope this helps GL & HH
drewan
 
Thanks Drew. You are saying to not even move the discrimination at all and it still nulls iron?

As for the moving slow that is no problem since i havent hip mounted the controls yet so its really not possible to move fast. Im still learning the tones but so far everything sounds very much the same. Occasionally I get some really small squeaks almost always followed by the obnoxious threshold going up. Its as though its an iron target that made a slightly different noise at first. <shrug>
 
JD-GA said:
Thanks Drew. You are saying to not even move the discrimination at all and it still nulls iron?

As for the moving slow that is no problem since i havent hip mounted the controls yet so its really not possible to move fast. Im still learning the tones but so far everything sounds very much the same. Occasionally I get some really small squeaks almost always followed by the obnoxious threshold going up. Its as though its an iron target that made a slightly different noise at first. <shrug>
Yup. after a while you will beable to tell the different tones High tones are coins really low soft tones can be lead
Med. tones with no break in threshold are the ones you dig. But to get used to the Excal dig all tones even the ones that null and comeback with a sig. Why? because you could have a good target next to iron. I have had this happen to me. What settings are you running at?
drewan
 
JD-GA said:
Is there anyway to get around having to run my detector over my scoop to reset the threshold noise after going over an iron target? I have my setting on 2 which discriminates iron, i here the null in the threshold then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8 times louder and more obnoxious sounding buzz and the only way to reset is to drop my scoop near the detector to reset the noise. Ive tried playing with the sensitivity, threshold, and volume but I get the same issue + or - how loud is sounds.

Is there no way to tell when this thing is recharging? No light or anything to tell you its plugged in and charging? Ouch.

Other than that I absolutely love the choice. Ive found a couple fake hoop earings, 1 plated gold ring, and a handfull of change in only 3 hours total use with 0 previous water hunting experience. Lots and lots of 1970s and 1980s pull back pop tops and budweiser beer caps so I think im in a good spot. If I could figure how to keep from resetting my sound after nulls every 10 seconds I would probably make love to the machine.... that is how much I like it.

P.S of course everything ive been willing to make love to before this point has also not been willing to shut up or turn the volume down every 10 seconds either.

Drew is correct, the Excal will reset the next time you hit a target, your losing nothing with the different sound of the threshold..... If it was me I would not use any descrimination at all, if you do your going to descriminate out some gold due to the different basemetals in the varying grades of gold. (10,12,14,18,22,24K).

As far as telling when the battery is charged you can buy a charger that has an led to tell you it is charging, you can also check the charger and battery with a volt meter............I replaced my stock battery with a NiMH battery, charge lasts hours longer than the stock battery...... The charger has LED to tell you it's charging and when it has a full charge.....

check this link out.......... http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=48
 
Turn the threshold down a bit more, or wait till the hum goes away.
I bought an ohm meter at Harbor Freight fer a couple bucks. When fully charged it will read 14+ volts. But I charge it the nite before I go hunting, just to not have problems. NOTHING more disgusting than a dead battery. and with the new batteries with no memory, why not recharge?
HH Gayle
 
Threshold should sound like a pesky mosquito in your ear, if it is too loud it is hard to hear faint target signals.....
 
I also use a technique in Clive's book. Just turn the detector on, without any threshold, sensitivity high, volume up, disc low in disc mode. This will also eliminate that threshold change you're talking about. This is the technique I use in heavily iron infested areas, and it seems to do well. GL.
 
Lookn4Seated said:
I also use a technique in Clive's book. Just turn the detector on, without any threshold, sensitivity high, volume up, disc low in disc mode. This will also eliminate that threshold change you're talking about. This is the technique I use in heavily iron infested areas, and it seems to do well. GL.

The only problem with that method is without the threshold it is hard to hear very faint targets as sometimes it is the break in the threshold that gets your attention and tells you something is there.... With the Excal he doesn't have to worry about the iron.

The Sovereign GT has option called Silent Search, you set it up normal with your threshold, then turn the switch to "Silent Search", threshold is gone, but even faint targets sound off. I have tested it while out hunting when I heard a very faint target, switched it to slient and still heard the target...

I wish Minelab would make the next version of the Excal a waterproofed Sov GT with the options of the SOV GT still there... :icon_thumright:
 
"I wish Minelab would make the next version of the Excal a waterproofed Sov GT with the options of the SOV GT still there... "

This would be the Ultimate Detector for Everyone except the eyeball people that need a screen to think they have fun. Your gonna dig it anyway at the beach, why waste time looking at a screen to wonder if you should expend the calories to dig. :laughing7:

The Excal nulls on small iron so you can scoop everything else. Set Disc as low as it will go. Threshold where you can barely hear it, and volume as high as you can take it as this is the sound you'll hear when going over a target. Sensitivity can be run in Auto at some places but I try to run mine as high as I can. Some hunt in Pinpoint and switch to disc to see if it is iron.
 
JD-GA said:
Is there anyway to get around having to run my detector over my scoop to reset the threshold noise after going over an iron target? I have my setting on 2 which discriminates iron, i here the null in the threshold then grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8 times louder and more obnoxious sounding buzz and the only way to reset is to drop my scoop near the detector to reset the noise. Ive tried playing with the sensitivity, threshold, and volume but I get the same issue + or - how loud is sounds.

Is there no way to tell when this thing is recharging? No light or anything to tell you its plugged in and charging? Ouch.

Other than that I absolutely love the choice. Ive found a couple fake hoop earings, 1 plated gold ring, and a handfull of change in only 3 hours total use with 0 previous water hunting experience. Lots and lots of 1970s and 1980s pull back pop tops and budweiser beer caps so I think im in a good spot. If I could figure how to keep from resetting my sound after nulls every 10 seconds I would probably make love to the machine.... that is how much I like it.

P.S of course everything ive been willing to make love to before this point has also not been willing to shut up or turn the volume down every 10 seconds either.

WAYYYYY more information than I needed to know...please avoid bad visual phrases in the future... :help: :laughing7: :help: :laughing7:
 
Just 1 point to add to the great comments.... To "reset" your threshold all you have to do is simply switch from Disc to Pinpoint and right back and then your threshold will be back to "normal". Thats what I do when hunting in Discriminate mode and it works great. You can wait and the threshold will go back to normal in about 30 seconds but it will return with a "squeal" and make you think you have gone over a target 'til you realize it is simply the threshold returning to "normal". Hope this helps.
 
put a coin in your shoe. scan it to get back to high tone.
 
JD , Would just like to add how important I think it is to keep that slight hum of the threshold. I can't begin to tell you how many good targets I would miss without it. Many times at the end of a swing you'll hear a slight raise or change in the hum. This is usually the machine telling you that a target was just out of range to make an audible signal, and is worth going back to investigate.This works the same with the Soverign GT. For the loud buzz. I just pass the coil over my scoop and adjust down to just audible. Last week I used the charger from the link Treasure_Hunter posted and it's worth the $25.00. No more guessing if your battery is charged. Thanks TH. Good Hunting , Kevin
 
Kevin in IN said:
JD , Would just like to add how important I think it is to keep that slight hum of the threshold. I can't begin to tell you how many good targets I would miss without it. Many times at the end of a swing you'll hear a slight raise or change in the hum. This is usually the machine telling you that a target was just out of range to make an audible signal, and is worth going back to investigate.This works the same with the Soverign GT. For the loud buzz. I just pass the coil over my scoop and adjust down to just audible. Last week I used the charger from the link Treasure_Hunter posted and it's worth the $25.00. No more guessing if your battery is charged. Thanks TH. Good Hunting , Kevin

Kevin what breed is your parrot, is it an Amazon? I have a Vosmaeri Eclectus and a Quaker....
 
treasure hunter has got the business

i have 3 of those chargers......1 is like 5 years old.........i bought 2 more about a year ago for spares.....1 of those is still in the box.....the newer ones are much more heavy dutier that the older one.....meaning much heavy wire used in construction........for 18 or 19 bucks they are the real deal.............and they are fast charging tickets also.

some here hunt like lookin4seated posted.......just click on and go.......i do also, but only in 1 iron infested area.

the hum is needed.......it has a purpose as others have commented on.

good luck
 
If the (buzzing) threshold is loud after you have gone over iron , you have set the threshold too loud. Lower it a bit, when you go over another target other than iron the pitch will change. The threshold pitch also helps you know what the target may be.
 
Very interesting. I just purchased an excal II and am searching for answers too. Maiden hunt week of july 4th VA beach Va. woohoo!! Tell me guys, It was said set disc as low as possible?? does that mean number 1 ?/ or is there a trick to it?? same question with setting sensitivity?? high as possible??/ I dont quite get it? thanks.
 
cellar dweller

if u have 10" coil.......set sent......at noon or 6pm.......but it will run much nicer at 5 or 5.5 in va beach

8" coil.........noon.....straight up....6pm

discrimination..........there is no 0....set leave it at 1..........

turn it on and go..........only change u will ever need to make is volume and threshold hum.

once u get the volume where u like it...........then all u will ever do is turn in on and start hunting........

good luck, 4th of july ....YOU WILL SEE MANY MANY HUNTERS in the lane......two from ohio........diamond jim and mr roger.....they come for 1 week.......or have come for many many years........toddy from england is due to arrive as well. the lane will be full of pirates and depositors.

see u there

good luck
 
cellar dweller said:
Very interesting. I just purchased an excal II and am searching for answers too. Maiden hunt week of july 4th VA beach Va. woohoo!! Tell me guys, It was said set disc as low as possible?? does that mean number 1 ?/ or is there a trick to it?? same question with setting sensitivity?? high as possible??/ I dont quite get it? thanks.
Yes, set it all the way down (#1). It will null on iron but pick up everything else. I believe there is a video for Excal that gives the tones and sounds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom