What's new

Low Mint Mark on Penny

jason4kstate

Full Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
245
Golden Thread
0
While searching $10 worth of pennies my wife found a 1986 D penny with a very low d mint mark. The mark is about down to the lower right corner of the coin. Has anyone else run into this or have any information on this error? Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I've seen many low mint marks before. They're not special. It all depends on where the mintmark was placed on the die. A doubled die is a different story but not machine doubling.
 
Can you get a pic of it? Sounds special to me. I search lots of pennies and I've never seen one.
 
A pic is definately needed. Since all mint marks of that era were hand-punched into the working dies individualy, there is a large variation in placement. Mint marks that touch other devices or are exceedingly misplaced can be worth a small-moderate premium but it always depends on condition and whether you can find a buyer or preferably buyers.

Post us a pic for a better opinion.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom