Lunchtime hunts for March-update 3/16-old whatsit??PBK??

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Today was this year's first lunchtime hunt for me. I returned with my DFX to an area where last year I had dug a 1792 Irish Half Penny, silver thimble. musketballs and pewter spoons.
I found an old looking bullet, a small part from ?? mechanical device and two what look to be Colonial Era buttons in the same hole.
I know I have seen this button design somewhere...PBK...where are ya man?

40 min of finds
3-12lunch.jpg
Button face
turkeyeaglebutton.jpg
button back
backside.jpg

Upvote 0
Re: 3/12 Lunchtime hunt at Colonial site-help IDing button...PBK??

I think the button is Albert's #NY 10. At any rate, it's an early 1800's New York State Militia button. Nice find!

PBK said:
I think the button is Albert's #NY 10. At any rate, it's an early 1800's New York State Militia button. Nice find!

Not quite Colonial, but I'll take it!...wonder what that was doing in NE Ohio??

Here's a similar variety that sold for $52 on eBay a while back:
excelsior_1.jpgexcelsior_2.jpg

PBK said:
Here's a similar variety that sold for $52 on eBay a while back:

How many varieties were there approx?
The spacing from the bottom of the Globe's base to the "Excelsior" seems off on the ones I have seen (including the two you have pictured) and on the back, the word "rich" is oriented backwards from your example.
Still...seems clear that it is a NY Militia button.

As always PBK...you're priceless and an asset to this website!

Danimal said:
Including both coat and cuff sizes, there are at least 46 varieties (mostly differing backmarks) of this basic pattern: oval lined field, eagle on hemisphere, EXCELSIOR motto below.

There are many other New York Militia buttons with some of the same design elements— for example, similar but lacking either the oval lined field or the motto.

PBK said:
Including both coat and cuff sizes, there are at least 46 varieties (mostly differing backmarks) of this basic pattern: oval lined field, eagle on hemisphere, EXCELSIOR motto below.

There are many other New York Militia buttons with some of the same design elements— for example, similar but lacking either the oval lined field or the motto.

PBK...I am constantly amazed at your researching speed. I rememeber back to the day you said you might be leaving TNet...twas a sad day indeed. :'(
Then I recall your decision to stay! :D

Re: 3/12 Lunchtime hunt-early 1800's NY State Militia buttons

Now normally I don't get to excited about buttons but this one gets the thumbs up! ;D Very cool.

Ditto the kudos to PK.

Hey, my lunchhour is usually open....possible to join you...tomorrow I have an all day telecon but Wendsday.....

Yep! Can't do without our PBK! :)

GREAT button, Dan!!! :o Congrats!!!

Nana :)

Now thats is a sweet button. excellent find !!

Hey..it gets better. I went back after work and found a few more keepers. At almost 10" just a few feet from where the buttons were I dug what I THOUGHT FOR SURE was going to be a quarter (man oh man I had visions of Seated quarter dancing in my head...the DFX was singing that high tone and VDIs were just about 84-86)
Out popped a nice (but bent) solid siver thimble!
A few more feet away I dug a small cal. lead ball. Darkness beckoned and I went home.

I Love my DFX!!

Thimble and small cal ball
3-12hunt 002.jpg
Closeup of thimble's sterling mark
3-12hunt 003.jpg

Love the thimble and the button!

Rock on!

Ridley

Great finds Dan.
Love that button.
Congrats.
-MM-

Dang you did great there... :)

Danimal said:
PBK said:

Not quite Colonial, but I'll take it!...wonder what that was doing in NE Ohio??

Those NY boys got around... I've found similar buttons way down here in Vicksburg.

Hill City Rebel said:
Those NY boys got around... I've found similar buttons way down here in Vicksburg.

I guess so....I wonder what two were doing in the same hole??

Also, it makes me ponder why I have found three thimbles scattered around this wooded area. I would think if they were random drops I would be finding more coins. I'll be back there today at lunch for another 45 min!

Re: 3/12 Lunchtime hunt-3/13 update-1900 IH found (only my 5th)

Went out today (man...60deg and sunny!!!) back to the same spot (naturally) and ended up with a very rough 1900 IH cent. This is only my 5th IH I have found since I started this hobby 15 months ago, so I was pretty excited.

Attachments

• 1900IHobverse.jpg
    1900IHobverse.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 588
  • 1900IHreverse.jpg
    1900IHreverse.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 582
Re: 3/12 Lunchtime hunt-3/13 update-1900 IH found (only my 5th)

Good recovery, bud! That DFX is already starting to pay for itself in old finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back