DSC04473 (4).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 345

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Military, could be several things. Execution of a murderer, traitor, deserter, horse thief, rapist? Military use to hang prisoners convicted of capital crimes.

Upvote 3

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to hang horse thieves and cattle rustlers I've pictures like that hangin in peoples homes

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would rather be shot if I had to choose.......

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to be a poet and learned I shouldnt doet

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not entirely convinced that's an authentic hanging/lynching.

There was unfortunately a dark time in America's history when hanging and lynching pictures were big business, including "hanging postcards" too, which were sold in the thousands. Often these pictures were of people who had been hanged but with the scene recreated after the event for a better picture. That looks to be the case here, with the over-dramatic observers and the guy pointing. It was also not unusual for the poor victim to be 'transferred' to a telegraph pole alongside a railroad (for maximum public exposure), having been hung somewhere else. That looks like a telegraph pole, and there's a "Railroad Crossing" sign to the extreme left.

However, here, I suspect the whole thing may have been artificially staged for the purposes of generating a 'saleable' picture. The 'victim' appears to be in an unnatural posture for someone who has been hung. Usually the toes of hanging victims point downwards as least a little, which is not the case here. The neck here is unusually 'bunched up' rather than stretched by the bodyweight pulling down on it. The arms also don't look as if they're limp. I could be wrong, and maybe this poor guy was hung a couple of hours earlier and has gone into rigor mortis (no sign of it around his mouth though), but that's my take.

Are those US Cavalry uniforms? That's what they look like to me.

Upvote 6

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Red-Coat. This looks like a staged or prop photograph for whatever purpose. All the dramatic poses of men standing in one straight line so they'd all be in focus.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While the others are definitely soldiers (Notice the leggings on the enlisted, pants tucked in the boots of the officer) the hanging individual is not wearing leggings. Also the legs of the one being hanged are pinioned above the knees.

It is possible that "IF" this is an actual hanging, it's just starting, and they are still hoisting him up. I've seen pictures of soldiers hung during WWII, that their necks aren't elongated and their feet are still rigid when they were first pulled up, or short dropped off a truck.

Just food for thought........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
agreed maybe a scene from a spaghetti western

these guys look familiar
spaghetti westerns.png

the rifle is staged
gun.png

Upvote 0

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Actually, the "Lynchee"is standing on a boulder, and the way the haulers are standing and pointing, I think it is a bunch of fellers goofing off. At least I hope they were. Lynchings happened.........

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread