M6 question

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a whites m6 today from craigslist. Its all stock. I have been using a bounty hunter 505 for past 2 years. I bought the m6 for the pinpointing trigger and the vid # as well as salt water sand capabilities. Side by side open air test my bounty hunter depth wise and identification is about even, (actually the BH 505 seems to detect about 1 inch deeper). Can anyone tell me what I could expect with the 10x12 SEF coil? I'm considering getting one, I just would like to get a little deeper. is it worth the 225$?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should see alot more depth over the BH, what coil does the M6 have on it, also you can turn the sensitivity up past the preset as long as it stays stable. Good headphones help as well as those deep targets don't give but a whisper tone but those are the ones that can be the deep old coins. HH

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the coil that comes stock on it, not sure which that would be. It was purchased new by previous owner at kellyco in October of 2010. On my kitchen table with a sheet of paper with measured inches it sounds and identifies quarter at 6 ". It will barely sound sometimes but not identify or give me vid# at 7". My bounty hunter will sound and identify at 7". Of course my bounty hunter has no vid#. I was a little disapointed at first but I do like the trigger pin pointing and the vid# and I am really looking forward to take to florida with me this year at the beaches. I hate to buy another coil but if it would get me a little deeper I would be happy to do it. I have read nothing but good reviews on this detector which is another reason I pulled the trigger so to speak. My plan was to sell my BH 505 to help cover the cost of the m6 but wanted to delay that a bit until I'm sure this is what I want. I don't want to go to this much more expensive detector but have same or worse results.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The big 9+ inch concentric stock coil is good and deep, no prob on copper cents and silver dimes up to 8" or more. If you want to spend the wad of cabbage on a big SEF, go for it, its a great coil too.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
In my experience the M6 needs to run hot to get real depth...that means with a bit of chatter. If I set mine to "P" or silent, I get disappointed too. Try that as a test and see. martin

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where in IND are you? I have a friend that runs one. HH

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Terre Haute. Where are you and your friend?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to lock tracking when air testing also that could make a difference. HH

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you McKinny and Wingmaster! I turned the sensitivity up to the triangle which is about 3 o"clock position and locked the tracking and WOW! I can get the quarter at 9" to sound and identify repeatably with a 83 VDI and most time at 10". I have a silver quarter I tried as well and it sounds and identifies at 10" with an 85 VDI and most time at 11". I'm not getting another coil now. I'll stick with this one for awhile. Just need the ground to melt! lol , I also tried penny and it sounds and identifies at 9" as well! I'm happy with that. :)

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have another question. Where is the depth readout on the lcd display? I dont see it anywhere.

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Whites 6000 di pro sl, Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you push the pinpoint button it will give you the depth readout.

OP
OP
jibb

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you push the pinpoint button it will give you the depth readout.
Oh ok, I haven't actually used anywhere except kitchen table. lol , That makes sense, thank you. I think I'm going to like this detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread