MA/VT/NH Panning

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I couldn't stand it no more. Even though it was only in the 20s, even though the rivers were frozen solid, even though there was a three foot ice pack, I just had to put a shovel in the stream. Since there is virtually no gold where I live, it was just about going through the motions. It was good practice for when it really matters.

DVD nice idea but I need it a little warmer... I got my gold n sands on the way... I hope that will be a sign of spring.

LostinBolton,

I got my goldnsands for xmass and am eager to try it out. Unfortunately they are not legal to use in Vermont. Those regs drive me up a wall. I am still psyched to try it out, probably around the Charlemont area. I think I will wait until it warms up a little, at least to the mid thirties.

LostinBolton, I got my goldnsands for xmass and am eager to try it out. Unfortunately they are not legal to use in Vermont. Those regs drive me up a wall. I am still psyched to try it out, probably around the Charlemont area. I think I will wait until it warms up a little, at least to the mid thirties.

VT regs don't allow sluices either, I been going to NH for my fever... Mid 30s are about two weeks away but it seems so far. By then I should have the goldnsands but I might try it local in CT first as a day trip. Might be too cold for the popup for another month.

I have been thinking about trying the Baker River, maybe up by Mt. Moosilaukee. Everybody talks about the wild am. What river system do you prospect in NH?

I have a little pop up as well, I am hoping I get to use it quite a bit this year, but you never know. I wanted to use it a lot last year and hardly ever got the chance.

Last edited:
Lots of Pent Up Panning Desire in these last few posts, so why don't the last few People on this thread, including myself, plan a little get the rust off/ try out the
Xmas Gift/New 'Stuff' and plan a get-together somewhere to meet up and do some prospecting/panning/sluicing? Yeah its going to snow tonite but tomorrow is the
first day of spring!!!

So This Sunday or the Next out in the Couch/Keets Brook area??

Lets do it, I am dying to finally get out.

Y'all need a road trip to CO. Spring comes early here and the gold is good. LoL, good luck and I hope you do get together for an outing!

Kevin, I would love a road trip to CO, but it is not in the deck of cards right now. Leave some gold for me when I get a chance to get out there...

A few of the people who read this thread have expressed an interest in meeting at Couch Brook this Sunday weather/wife permitting. If any body is interested pm me and I will pm you with the time. Six days and counting.

I plan on being at Couch Brook around noon. I hear its supposed to rain Sunday morning so noon sounds good to me. I drive a blue Toyota Highlander. If I am not in my truck I will be down by the brook. I will be the guy with all the gold in his pan.

David T

Save some gold for the rest of us... Maybe I have to be early to get the worm... Lol...

Last edited:
Yup our trip tomorrow is going to get washed out. But it is nice right now. I'm going to take a short trip to Gold Mine Brook on the Chester line. I will be there between 10 and 2. We will reschedule.

David

Last edited:
I tried to prospect Gold Mine Brook off of Rte. 20, but it was still iced out and the surrounding hillsides had 2 feet of snow. Looks like the sluice will have to stay put for a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the try and update... We have all sorts of flooding in CT right now.... Maybe next week, I heard 60's for this week....

I tried to prospect Gold Mine Brook off of Rte. 20, but it was still iced out and the surrounding hillsides had 2 feet of snow. Looks like the sluice will have to stay put for a couple more weeks.

Well after 4 inches of rain and the snow melt half the state is under flood warnings and all other streams and rivers are running very high
But in a few weeks we can look forward to meeting and panning in steams like this

image-1333396389.jpg

Shattuck Brook in Leyden

Anyone see anything odd in the large rock on the right????

2 faces and a softball size piece of quartz... Nice easy following water also, not around here right now, water is high and fast....

Ok, I drove by a few local brooks on my way to the store..... Wow, the water was high and fast... Last nights rain jumped the levels.... When does the draught begin, can't wait to get out and try some new toys.... Maybe next weekend...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back