dvdtharaldson
Full Member
- Joined
- Sep 19, 2012
- Messages
- 246
- Reaction score
- 178
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Massachusetts
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,
This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.
Thanks,
David
This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.
Thanks,
David
Last edited:
Upvote
0
Was out in central Vermont (Plymouth/Bridgewater) yesterday. If you do venture, be aware that the ice shelves over and around the rivers/streams are very unstable now. Many winter trails used by snowshoers and skiers appear solid but are just waiting for the slightest of additional weight to give out and this could make for one heck of a bad day. The snowpack also changes during the day, an hour hike out yesterday took 2hrs on the return as the going was slowed by post holeing (falling through top hard pack into thigh high base layer) every three steps. Ended up having to go all Bear Grills and make a fire to warm up my frozen wet feet. Prospecting was limited due to availability of exposed area (beggars can't be choosy) but still nice to get out on an adventure and pull a little shiny Vermont gold out of the river. 










