MA/VT/NH Panning

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mass Hole No.59

Feb 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There I sat on the banks of backyard brook, my snuffer bottle devoid of any real color. Truth be told I probably had about 30 real small colors which didn't even add up to the same weight as one of my colors from the week before. The week before that was even better. The strange part of this "happen-stance" is that I was feeling quite content with my less than mediocre find.

The stream was high, fast, and cold. The day was cool and dry.

The real find that day was in realizing that more colors didn't translate into a happier dvdt. The truth is that when I found more gold, I really wasn't content with what I had found. I was bound and determined to find more and more. This day was different, it kind of reset my "mind-set" back to where finding any colors was something to celebrate.

I usually close with happy trails and best colors; but this time, may your trails be rocky and steep, the wind be in your face, and you find few colors. Maybe you will find contentment as I did.

"MH#59" or "dvdt" or "that weird guy"

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I SSOOOO love this David. You are the best!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Such much wisdom. David you are amazing!
#worth2comments!

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We traveled to VT for a Saturday outing to Buffalo Brook. Four gold crazy members of our club happily dug with our hand tools on this beautiful brook. I found some stone fingers at the waters edge. A great natural riffle. I worked the cracks at the waters edge with my trusty cheapo bent screwdrivers and my turkey baster. I also used a very narrow trowel to scoop the gravel 6" below the waterline. My buddies are now getting very suspicious of my takes because I dowse the area with my brass L-rods before i dig. I did a lot of less work digging than they did all day, maybe this old dog has the wisdom to look four times dig once. Great first trip of the 2017 season in the VT/NH cold northern waters. AU Buffalo Brook.JPG

Mass Hole No.59

Feb 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weather permitting WMG and I will be doing one of our annual outings to central Vermont. We plan on staying at Coolidge State Park on Wednesday June 28 for about 3 days. If anybody is interested in talking shop, cooking burgers, or getting some digging done, we would like to see you. Campsite No.11

Happy Trails and Best Colors,
dvdt

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Weather permitting WMG and I will be doing one of our annual outings to central Vermont. We plan on staying at Coolidge State Park on Wednesday June 28 for about 3 days. If anybody is interested in talking shop, cooking burgers, or getting some digging done, we would like to see you. Campsite No.11

dvdt

Joined them in 2015 so I can say: do it! Fun times:)

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found some gold on Pinney Hollow Brook just outside the Coolidge State Park and North Brook (N of Ottauquechee River at Bridgewater Corner) .

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found some gold on Pinney Hollow Brook just outside the Coolidge State Park and North Brook (N of Ottauquechee River at Bridgewater Corner) a few years back.

Mass Hole No.59

Feb 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just returned from my annual trip to central Vermont. I already miss being there. The drive up was filled with all the anticipation I could hold. I was wondering how much gold I would find, what kind of animals I would spot, what new trails I would hike, and what new experiences I would encounter.

Upon arrival, we quickly set out to the Ottauquechee River in Bridgewater. The "Ott" turned out to be the best producer for me, time wise. I was finding quite a bit of small specks in the first place I put my shovel. We didn't stay there long because we wanted to prospect different spots along the river, hoping to hit a honey hole somewhere. After that, we hit the junction of the Ott and Broad Brook. Finds there where rather meager. After that we went into the mountains of the North branch of the Ott. It was the only place where I completely struck out.

The next day we hit the place we couldn't wait to get back to, Buffalo Brook. If you never had a chance to prospect there, I highly recommend trying it. In my opinion it is far and away the nicest place in which to spend a day. It is a serene little stream that is easily hiked in the lower stretches and then becomes quite mountainous in the upper stretches. My plan was to hike up to the junction with Reading Pond Brook and continue up RPB for as long as by back would hold out. I ended up finding a beautiful water fall with a still pool beneath it. I found a few colors in the bedrock where the water cascaded into the pool and a few more pieces at the deposition zone at the end/side of the pool. The main attraction was the character of the spot itself. I ended up sitting there and meditating for a good while.

I ended up walking back down the trail to the parking spot. WMG had left the brook to prospect other streams in the area. We met up at the campground about an hour later where he confessed he wasn't "feelin it" and he departed Vermont.

I ended up driving up to The White River in Stockbridge. The White River is a water course that I find to be quite complexing. Sometimes it is a slow moving medium-sized river and other times it is a large behemoth. I don't have a lot of experience prospecting larger rivers but decided to try it any way. Hopefully, I could learn something and gain from the experience. I was able to add it to the list of rivers that I found colors in. I couldn't stay long because by this time I had pushed my aching joints well past their limits.

I returned to the campsite and spent the night totally alone. There was one other party in the campgrounds a few sites over but by-and-large I had the whole mountain to myself. If you have never spent time alone, without any distractions present, I will tell you that it has a profound effect on one's being. I was hesitant to stay at first but after a while I realized that this was to be a positive experience and plan on repeating it many times this summer.

MH#59

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice ride along, thanks for sharing so much. Makes me wish I was there with you again :)

Gold pics or other pictures??

Mass Hole No.59

Feb 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was lucky enough to do a bit of prospecting last week. I was up at 5 AM to try and beat the heat. I bounced around the area up-stream from the stone wall for awhile. I found a few pieces in the 30 to 50 mesh size, which leads me to believe that there is a pay streak around somewhere. I just haven't found it yet.

As I was driving back I saw a prospector digging in a well known spot. It was a spot that I considered played out. I stopped to talk with him, hoping that I could learn something. That was the best decision I made all year. He turned out to be geologically very well versed. Not only that, but he was very willing to share info about any spots that we had in common.

He went on to tell me that he has enjoyed major success in this "played -out" area. He also told me his secret. It is so simple. He said that he digs where other people can't or wont. He gave me specifics that I can't share. He also seconded some information that I heard about areas I prospect in Vermont. It seems that I have been in the right general area, but not specifically so. Just in case your wondering there are some very nice size pieces left in MA/VT/NH.

Happy trails and best colors
MH#59

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been fortunate enough to get a day or 2 off from work on absolutely beautiful days here in Massachusetts and have headed out to the Shattuck Brook area to do some prospecting. Despite a wet spring and early summer, flows are down and Townline Creek was totally dried up. So did some exploring and prospecting and found a productive spot which warranted a return visit or two
Bumped into an old friend the first time ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503098404.164181.jpg

WesternMassGold stopped by to see what was going on

I have dubbed the spot The Log Flume, not that far from Mr.MH59' Stone Wall

First time back got this
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503098529.588881.jpg

The gold was small compared to the 1st few pans I had gotten the first time but fairly productive

Went out yesterday and worked the same spot and got similar results
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503098658.186085.jpg

The area is sitting on a heavy clay layer so getting down to this and scraping the top layer is working out quite well. Brought a 12v pump and washed the dirt
While classifying 1/8 inch then panned. One thing I do which yields, I believe, more gold, is to suck up that line of concentrates in your pan even if you do no see any color. The amount of -50 and smaller gold I am finding using a well lit microscope on dry paydirt is substantial and is what appears to be typical of the gold in Massachusetts. What is left in the pan I dump into my Angus MacKirk sluice which has also demonstrated its ability to capture fine gold as well.

Looking forward to some successful fall trips
Shout out to all my TNet friends

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This post just makes me happy!

GrizzlyGoldTrap

Feb 24, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really like the display squares for gold with the penny! What a great way of showing captured color and size - really stands out against black. Nicely done, and like Kevin, I enjoy your outlook on prospecting and being in outdoors.

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was on vacation last week and my wife and I spent 5 wonderful days in Boothbay Harbor Maine. If you have never been there I highly recommend a visit. Did some Beach Prospecting near some large swaths of rock but found nothing but bright red garnets. So on Sunday decided to head out to the Log Flume to end the vacation doing some digging. The spot had gotten popular judging by the amount of digging that was new. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504050838.616256.jpg

The MacKirk sluce setup in low water conditions

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504050948.792165.jpg

The area that has been producing steadily, under those rocks is a heavy gray clay layer with gravel on top.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504051035.432423.jpg

I have found that washing while classifying to 1/8 inch breaks up the clay stuck to gravel rocks etc and yields a nice consistency to pan and sluice.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504051148.881846.jpg

This trips results, again a lot of small gold, it's getting a bit less with each trip but the larger pieces do get bigger than the previous trips finds.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work, I'm a bit jealous of those big pieces!!

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I invited Mr.MH59 to join me at the 'LogFlume' for an almost Fall Like day of prospecting on the 1st day of September. The water was low so we both pressed our MacKirk sluices into use
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504358677.325468.jpg

Working a hole down to the clay layer adjacent to the stream flow

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1504358735.641338.jpg

Some of his take for the day, a pleasant surprise from an area long thought to be pretty much worked over.

It was good seeing each other and catching up on things, and most of all getting some gold.

Mass Hole No.59

Feb 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was standing in the middle of my garden wondering why my vegetables don't look like the ones pictured on the seed packets. A bit later, EMassAuMan called and asked if I was ready to hit backyard brook again. I thought about it for a half a second and agreed that it was time.

I had seen his posts of the chunky and super-chunky colors (by Massachusetts standards) he was unearthing and was a bit curious about his new found pay streak. So you say,you want to know what the Mass standards entail? Okay, chunky gold is plus 50 and super chunky is plus 20.

Anyhow, when we got there it was quite evident that the area had been well worked. What was equally clear was the prospectors hadn't dug down to the clay layer. Dealing with clay is a pita, but in this area that's where the gold is. So after digging thru a foot of tailings and another foot of cobble the clay layer revealed itself. I ended up with about 80 pieces in about 4 hours. Digging for me that day was exceptionally slow due to advancing age and bad joints. I had a great time digging with EMassAuMan that day, and am looking forward to doing it again, hopefully soon.

Happy Trails and Best Pans,
MH#59

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread