May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I posted this coin over in the "What is it?" section because I had no idea what I had found (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,283123.0.html)

Paco, John and I went to an old farm that we had hit many times before and stumbled across a colonial site of some sort - we ended with 11 colonial coins for the group (which I'll put up with pics in another post) but this one by far was in the nicest shape and from what I'm hearing has some potential to be "special".

It seems the Machins Mills people stamped this KGIII on a NJ planchet - very cool ...
(notice the "UM" clearly visible on the cheek of the bust)

thanks to everyone who put some time in identifying it; kylePA, IP, johnnyi, and especially Don in Jersey - I 'm gonna send it over to him for some friends of his to look at ...

take care,

vp

www.Treasure-Valley.net

Attachments

• munro110.jpg
    munro110.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • munro111.jpg
    munro111.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1,381
  • munro110.jpg
    munro110.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,357
  • munro111.jpg
    munro111.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • munro112.jpg
    munro112.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 1,331
Upvote 0
Re: Update on New Jersey struck over a Machins Mills

Don in SJ said:
Vpone was kind enough to send the coin to me for myself and a few experts to study this coin and determine some facts about it. As of this date the experts have not gotten to see the coin yet, but I have been busy looking at it and photographing and rephotographing the coin and despite its condition, this coin is turning out to be a very interesting happening.

I cannot say the results yet, since the experts have not verified what I have found, but I have ID'd the variety of the NJ copper that was struck on this Machins Mills Planchet and today I discovered on the other side of the Machins (Reverse side) that there is evidence of the Horse Head/Plow side strike on that coin also, and it looks like it was a normally centered strike, unlike the shield and NUM we see on the Obverse side.

So, hopefully by next week, we might know what type of new discovery Vpone's coin is, and from what I see, it will be a interesting story, concerning the mint or mints involved and the relationship with the die maker...............

This has the potential for being a new discovery type of overstrike, with some historic (numismatic that is) value.

Don

Don, your assistance on the forums over the years is greatly appreciated by all.

Is the horse head only identifiable in person? I can't seem to make out it on the pics here.

Re: Update on New Jersey struck over a Machins Mills

KylePA said:
Don in SJ said:
Vpone was kind enough to send the coin to me for myself and a few experts to study this coin and determine some facts about it. As of this date the experts have not gotten to see the coin yet, but I have been busy looking at it and photographing and rephotographing the coin and despite its condition, this coin is turning out to be a very interesting happening.

I cannot say the results yet, since the experts have not verified what I have found, but I have ID'd the variety of the NJ copper that was struck on this Machins Mills Planchet and today I discovered on the other side of the Machins (Reverse side) that there is evidence of the Horse Head/Plow side strike on that coin also, and it looks like it was a normally centered strike, unlike the shield and NUM we see on the Obverse side.

So, hopefully by next week, we might know what type of new discovery Vpone's coin is, and from what I see, it will be a interesting story, concerning the mint or mints involved and the relationship with the die maker...............

This has the potential for being a new discovery type of overstrike, with some historic (numismatic that is) value.

Don

Don, your assistance on the forums over the years is greatly appreciated by all.

Is the horse head only identifiable in person? I can't seem to make out it on the pics here.
Ah, should have been more specific, on the Horse head/Plow side of the coin I see something:
On the photo on this forum and actually looking at the coin it is almost not seeable, but on the photos I took in bright sunshine yesterday, not the horses head, or plow, but the Scroll that is directly under the horses head is visible, about 90* angle from Brittania. I am still looking for traces of the plow or horses head, so far just the scroll, but that appears to be on the coin where it should be if struck normally.

Attachments

• NJScroll.jpg
    NJScroll.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 812
nice one vp!!! very intresting. i think when i find one in question im going to do the same thing. don seems like the man 8) willy

This is a SWEET and very interesting copper! Congrats and definitely a BANNER find :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink:

Not This Topic Again!! I am drunk and kidding !! MaineRelic.

Machin's Mills overstruck by New Jersey Copper in STACKS auction!

Vpone sent the coin to me for evaluation and identification, with the assistance of a few colonial experts for confirmation of my findings, the coin was determined to be a 1787 Machin's Mills Halfpenny, 17-87B variety that was overstruck on both sides by a 1788 New Jersey Maris 77-dd (Running Fox) variety copper. I spent many hours studying the coin and still am not done with my final report that will be in my NJ circulation survey sometime this year.

When I was done studying the coin, Vpone asked me to send the coin directly to STACK'S which I did and now it is listed in their upcoming Auction this month, the Americana sale.

http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lsid=AN00000754&asid=AN00000297&lrid=AN00164345 (Unfortunetly Stacks made quite a few erroneous statements concerning the coin, I don't know if they rushed to write something without studying the coin or what but quite a few false statements are in the writeup.) 8)

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back