ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings, I'm new to the forum, but I've been following it for a few years.

I'm looking for suggestions on magnetometers. Geotech is out of the budget for now. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the ones from Aquascan? How well does the Fishers unit work?

Also does anyone have suggestions for pulling a sidescan and a mag at the same time???

I've got a Marine Sonic side scan if anyone in the Carolinas has a project where it might be helpfull let me know.

Thanks
NC Brad

Hi Brad, I have limited experience with the Fishers Proton 4 mag, it seemed like a nice piece of equipment, but I don't really have a lot of mag experience to compare it too. I can tell you that I love my Fishers Pulse 8X metal detector, and it appears that their mags are of the same quality.

Check out the R/V Deep Scan at www.alldeepblue.com - I think you will find their towing rig interesting. I believe they use it to tow an array of mags but it should work well for a mag / sonar combo I would think.

Good luck, someone with years of experience will hopefully come along and add more to this.

Jason

look into a "planet electronics" proton mag, there out of england, I have an older one that was owned by Steve Singer and its found me 3 wrecks so far, and alot of other stuff that was recycled into diving cash. I can find an engine block at about 40ft away.

Any idea how much $$$ they are?

Thanks,
Brad

I just recently got a mag from a company called Shark Marine out of Ontario. This thing is the chipper chicken but it seems to work okay. It was 4,500 new. Not a proton mag though. Im on my way to the Bahamas next week actually to test it out. Ill let you know how she runs.

I also have the JW Fisher 8x and I love it too. I got the towable 4 foot wide coil and it is actually a good little piece of equipment if your working on sand.
I also dont have any experience in the JW mags, but like ScubaFinder said, I sure do like my 8x!

-theGOLD

Hi Brad,
I use a Klein 595 SSS with a computer because the thermal paper printer broke
and was cheaper to use a laptop and a new program to run it. Try to find a used
GEM 19 M because they don`t build it anymore, used with the SSS are a great
machine and wreck finder. Any time you see in the SSS a black dot and few seconds
the Mag shows variations, dive!! there is a piece of shipwreck.
Best regards
Ruso

theGOLD
I AM CONSIDERING THE FOUR FOOT COIL AND WANTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU COULD TELL ME ABOUT IT. IS IT THE ONE WITH THE SKIDS UNDER IT?
SEAHUNTER

Hi brad,
I just answered Voldjerg about Mags. I use the combination of mags with S.S.Sonars and
is a great machines. you put both in a computer and you find everything underwater.
My combination is the Klein 595 upgraded with a computer program and a Canadian GEM19M Overhauser Magnetometer this Mag works great. I had a bad expirence with a PROTON 2 mag.
Regards
Ruso

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back