What's new

Magician coins

Lasivian

Hero Member
Joined
May 23, 2003
Messages
552
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I noticed in another post some of you found the magicians coins that were nested sets. How did you manage to tell these apart from real coins?

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
they sound hollow when dropped on the pile, and if that fails the coin counters I use won't take the dam thangs. HH Mark
 
Lasivian said:
Ahh haaa.

How many have you found out of curiosity?
Over 100 in 3 years of hunting but I search alot of coin. Matter of fact I found one this morning while dumping and one this evening while searching. HH Mark
 
good grief, I had no idea there were that many in open circulation.

what do you do with them?
 
Guy on here trades me a 40%er for each one a couple times a year. HH Mark
 
I found one (or the obverse only) last night. A Lincoln cent. It was my first.

apush :read2:
 
You find them by their sound when you drop them. I have found two, one mexican and one british. Neat little pieces.
 
Lasivian said:
good grief, I had no idea there were that many in open circulation.

what do you do with them?
If there are that many wouldn't that be like, like "counterfeiting" the currency,no?
 
obediah said:
Lasivian said:
good grief, I had no idea there were that many in open circulation.

what do you do with them?
If there are that many wouldn't that be like, like "counterfeiting" the currency,no?

They are still legal currency. I think counterfeiting would be intent to commit fraud. These can still be spent anywhere i presume.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
obediah said:
Lasivian said:
good grief, I had no idea there were that many in open circulation.

what do you do with them?
If there are that many wouldn't that be like, like "counterfeiting" the currency,no?

They are still legal currency. I think counterfeiting would be intent to commit fraud. These can still be spent anywhere i presume.
Wish we could do that with the paper FRN's, copiers make making paper money soooo easy.
 
Lol, funny story about this....magic is a hobby I've done since I was around 15. I had one of the sets you are talking about and had been keeping it with my normal halves....long story short, a brother's friend stole them not knowing what he was getting. :laughing9: Can laugh at it now but man was I pissed, that set me back some cash as a teenager.
 
If there are that many wouldn't that be like, like "counterfeiting" the currency,no?
[/quote]
Counterfeiting is making currency more valuable than face value.

Since these magic coins are made by destroying 2 coins to make one coin of the same value you're not breaking any laws. The added value is only to magicians who pay 15$+ for them.

I like them as party tricks, it's pretty impressive if you pull it off right.

Has anyone found any gold dollar/quarter sets, penny/dime sets or quarter/2 pence sets? I'm interested in getting some of those in good condition. I'm also looking for a 2-tailed quarter.

Thanks.
 
I just released a half dozen back into the wild today. Most were backed with Mexican coins. Neat things really. :dontknow:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom