What's new

Maine slate

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my collection of slate...They are what I get the most excited about because the possibilities are mindblowing...Theres a couple of full slate points.Also in the mix are pieces of hexagonal bayonets...a few broken adze bits and pieces of rods
 

Attachments

  • 20200101_115835.webp
    20200101_115835.webp
    767.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200101_115850.webp
    20200101_115850.webp
    757.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice collection love the Bone Point .
 
Tried to edit this and got double pictures turned sideways...I give up..mjm
 
No bone that is slate bleached white...
 
02C5A93C-620F-473F-9A69-6F3454AE0E7A.webp

Awesome stuff, what is this one?
 
Good eye..not sure if it's a plummet or some kind of pendant...
 
Maybe you have seen that pic of a cache that had whole rods and several gouges in the making. Not sure where I seen it but it was cool.
 
I think I might of on PBS or somewhere...I'm not sure what the rods are for..They made rods that were like 3or4 feet long......I'm keeping my eye out...There are plenty of wild things to find here in Maine for sure..
 
I think I might of on PBS or somewhere...I'm not sure what the rods are for..They made rods that were like 3or4 feet long......I'm keeping my eye out...There are plenty of wild things to find here in Maine for sure..

I am so out of my element up here. Can you suggest a resource book or anything that could help me figure out what to look for? The materials are radically different than either Maryland or Virginia.
 
Theres information on line..also look for museums with archeology displays..Mt.Kineo Rhyolite was a stone of choice for a lot of Maine...where are you?
 
Theres information on line..also look for museums with archeology displays..Mt.Kineo Rhyolite was a stone of choice for a lot of Maine...where are you?

Hey Mainejman! on an island in the East Penobscot Bay area. I had a super-busy summer, and am now just beginning to really think about artifacts up here.
 
That is one fine collection of slate artifacts! It's interesting to know that there are several colors of slate that they would have used.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom