man vs.wild busted

Tricia said:
So you're saying everything you see on TV is real?

If it's a survival show where the host appears to be trying to survive by himself/herself it's just them against the wilderness?

If they have a handheld camera then it's just them and a tripod?

If anyone answered yes - you are the bread and butter of television. I'm sure the television and movie industries thank you.

In the case of survivorman....yes (except for his emergency sat phone). What I expect is that when a show is presented as one thing, IT SHOULD BE THAT ONE THING! Not something else. MvW has always been presented as Bear getting parachuted into the wilderness, or boated onto a glacier, or something of the like, and he is shown as if he is living off the land. When that is shown not to be the case, the show loses much of it's credibility. How much ya wanna bet it doesn't last too much longer?

Best,

Mike

How much ya wanna bet the show was going to get the axe and this "rumor" was sent out to get the show more publicity so more viewers would tune in and see for themselves. ;)

Now wait a minute. I've seen this show in question on one occasion that I can remember. The host gut was practicing throwing a stick at a tree stump for a half hour so he said, and as proof they showed the video of him starting out missing allot. And then cut to thirty minutes later and the guy is plinking the stump with a whack everytime. Then he crouches down and slowly makes his way out into a overgrown grassy Field, jumps to his feet and throws his stick, followed by a whack sound and a little bunny scream. Then cut to a shot of our glorious hunter carrying this rabbit by it's ears back to make a tasty morsel of his innards. And there are people who actually wanna debate whether this guy and his show are for real ? :D :D :D :D :D

I've also sampled the afore mentioned Survivor man show, and although I do believe poor Les is actually trying to do as he says and survive for a week until he's actually rescued. That is most certainly all he does, and only barely. It would seem the poor fellow has been poorly trained and equipped in most situations with some bad advice and/or wrong instruction. So what is the point of any of these shows if they are neither truthful or riddled with innaccuracies ?

I like both shows but I enjoy MvsW better. He shows you the way to survive. I don't care if he sleeps at a hotel at night. I have seen him jumped into quicksand and get out on his own. I have seen him jump into freezing water and teach you how to get out. SurvivorMan would be dead if he was out for 2 weeks instead of one. He starves the whole time because he can't catch fish or animals to eat most of the time. When he was in Alaska, he couldn't even catch a salmon in the water right in front of him. MvsW actually shows you how to survive by doing things that he does not need to do at that moment. Like drink water from a camels gut or drink water out of elephant crap.

Thats really a bummer . I liked that show a lot but I will not watch it any more. I always wondered if the camera man was eating hotdogs while the other guy ate snakes and raw fish. LOL

O.K., maybe his SHOW is busted but Bear is the real thing! He is an athlete of the highest caliber. Having been a U.S. army special forces soldier myself, I speak from some knowledge on the subject. As gypsyheart has said so well (where did she get all that info on him?), Bear himself is no phony! Joe

I also agree with gypsyheart and Joe. Bear is awesome. It is great TV. If you liked it before, why not still watch. You can still learn some good survival tips. Don't get mad at the guy, you try doing some of the stuff he does and has done and see how well you fare. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin to it. Bryan

I thought that Les Stroud from Survivorman was alone on his adventures too , that is until I saw some of his out takes on youtube.com. He didn't look to alone to me. I still like to watch both shows though. Not everything is as it appears on T.V.

I remember the first episode that I watched. He was getting ready to jump out of a hellicopter that was hovering some 60 feet or soo above the water and he was talking about how dangerous it was to jump into water from that high........"Have the pilot lower the chopper you loser" LOL 8)

Attachments

• dumb-promotional03.jpg
    dumb-promotional03.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 249
  • dumb-promotional03.jpg
    dumb-promotional03.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 245
...... and eating the highly poisonous Puffer Fish just doesn't seem as dangerous when it's being served as the second of a five course meal in one of the hotels finer eating establishments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back