Manicore VID and Gold Ring Weight (grams).

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Gold Ring Size vs Manicore VID.png

I plotted Manicore VID to Gold ring weight (g) as shown below. I also calculated the correlation (R) between the weight and VID and it was R= .60, which is very high and significant; as weight increases Manicore VID increases. What is really important to note is that the real heavy clunkers are in the same range as CENTS! Dig them cents and perhaps you will hear clunking at the bottom of your scoop.

I also looked at the 2-D image for 7 gold rings in my, errr, my wife's possession. The same relationship applied; as weight increased so did VID. But I found the 2-D image most interesting; when in close range (say 6-8") the screen gave a 2-D circular image of about 2-3mm. HOWEVER, as the gold ring is increased in distance from the coil, the circular image on the display starts to elongate along the horizontal line, and continues to elongate over several inches. At near threshold in terms of detection, the gold ring image fragmented into light colored blobs centered all along the horizontal line.

Just yesterday morning I was detecting a beach at low tide with the Manicore and I recall several instances where I got a near threshold image of horizontal blobs. I passed because I thought it was noise. No doubt deep, but that gold drops like an anchor and soon disappears forever.

My only problem with Manicore is the musical sounds; can't hear the dang things. Only in seawater boost can I hear the signal. Yea, moderate hearing loss. But 800 sounds are better.

Happy hunting

Upvote 3

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have done some testing with my Manticore and saw the same results ID range 10-70. However, when I did the test I did not take into account weight nor Karat of the rings. Were all your ring one Karat? If not It might be interesting to re-test sorting the rings by Karat instead of weight. Love everything that shows up on the horizontal line...........................
Thanks for the info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread