Mano/Metate

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my recent find…the mano.
It was found within feet of the metate, which was found a year earlier and apparently saw little use.

I’m not sure if they are a pair or not.

The mano was dug out by family pets recently, which was convenient. Unfortunately it bears scars from heavy equipment. Not sure how that could be restored or hidden. Rains may bring a few points as well.

Will photos convincingly show what I see?

The mano exhibits the characteristics that I’ve felt is necessary…a stone that is hard, yet will wear to match the metate and is porous enough to retain a “cutting edge” as it wears.
Second and third photo highlights the trailing edge which bears the most wear.
Always, opinions welcomed.

762DF663-400B-43ED-9D3F-4F89514A580E.jpeg

CE195427-6EC5-4AFF-BDE4-5A212952F67A.jpeg

5AB88416-6807-4DE1-B0DF-1E69848C83EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks almost like lava stone. Nice

Likely is lava stone. Not something that is laying around here, but it could easily have been packed in. Seems like it would not have been very comfortable in the hands if used for an extended length of time. But I’m sure it fit the bill somehow. Maybe the pores were plugged with ground acorns making it a little more comfortable to handle.

Last edited:

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With metal scars and scratches you can leave the artifact out in the weather and the sunlight and elements will even up the surface over time, blending the scratch into the the rest... not completely but if you leave it protected the situation will remain inert.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With metal scars and scratches you can leave the artifact out in the weather and the sunlight and elements will even up the surface over time, blending the scratch into the the rest... not completely but if you leave it protected the situation will remain inert.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread