pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got my Manticore yesterday. Charged it all up and experimented with some bone conduction low latency wireless headphones that I was able to connect to a little BT 5.3 transmitter I plugged into the wired output of the Manticore. It seemed to work pretty well but I couldn't tell if the latency was sufficiently short to be workable or not. I'll have to experiment with that some more. My biggest gripe is that the wireless low latency BC headphones I found only have a 4 hour run time before they need a re-charge and the transmitter is probably about the same. Neither have any way to tell how close to the end the charge has gotten although I can recharge them fairly quickly with a portable 26,000 MWH power bank I have in the field. But including the detector and power bank I now have 4 devices I need to charge up regularly. I suppose I need to find a 4+ charge port plug-in device to connect them all to or just use the ML-105 headphones while it is cool outside. I also have a detector low latency transmitter/receiver combo that I could plug some open-ear headphones into but that will still leave me with about 4 devices to charge up to use them.

Since I only tested the detector and the audio arrangement in my yard, I ran into unbelievably strong EMI interference. I've used other detectors in my yard and I know there is EMI but it seemed especially strong with the Manticore. I did ground balance several times, tried auto ground balance on and off, and regularly did the long-noise cancel. Still I couldn't run with Sens. over about 18 without TIDs jumping all over the place constantly.

I know there are utility power lines, pool light power lines, cable lines and sprinkler valve power lines running all over under my yard. I guess I just can't get away from them. Tomorrow I'll go to a park and see if I can get the Mani to run quieter.

Ah, the life of 1st world problems. LOL

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got my Manticore yesterday. Charged it all up and experimented with some bone conduction low latency wireless headphones that I was able to connect to a little BT 5.3 transmitter I plugged into the wired output of the Manticore. It seemed to work pretty well but I couldn't tell if the latency was sufficiently short to be workable or not. I'll have to experiment with that some more. My biggest gripe is that the wireless low latency BC headphones I found only have a 4 hour run time before they need a re-charge and the transmitter is probably about the same. Neither have any way to tell how close to the end the charge has gotten although I can recharge them fairly quickly with a portable 26,000 MWH power bank I have in the field. But including the detector and power bank I now have 4 devices I need to charge up regularly. I suppose I need to find a 4+ charge port plug-in device to connect them all to or just use the ML-105 headphones while it is cool outside. I also have a detector low latency transmitter/receiver combo that I could plug some open-ear headphones into but that will still leave me with about 4 devices to charge up to use them.

Since I only tested the detector and the audio arrangement in my yard, I ran into unbelievably strong EMI interference. I've used other detectors in my yard and I know there is EMI but it seemed especially strong with the Manticore. I did ground balance several times, tried auto ground balance on and off, and regularly did the long-noise cancel. Still I couldn't run with Sens. over about 18 without TIDs jumping all over the place constantly.

I know there are utility power lines, pool light power lines, cable lines and sprinkler valve power lines running all over under my yard. I guess I just can't get away from them. Tomorrow I'll go to a park and see if I can get the Mani to run quieter.

There was a video on the machine yesterday, the tester said the EMI stopped at 30-best he's seen.
4 hrs for a charge time-there must be something wrong with the headphones, the control is 10 hrs approx.
Having to carry a charger to go on a hunt-nope I'll pass if this is the run time.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pepperj -- that's not the run time of the machine, or the Minelab headphones. It's the run time of a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver (non-Minelab equipment) that he is using WITH his Manticore...

Steve

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
2-Nokta/Macro Legend Pro Pack
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Nokta Pulse Dive 2in1 kit
Garrett AT Pro (not Used)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I have not read anything you stated that there is an Issue with the Manticore, EMI is an issue with all detectors some worse than others the issue you are seeing with the transmitter is and issue with the transmitter not the Manticore LOL

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm having no issues with EMI with my Manticore. If anything it seems to run more stable than my Equinox 800 concerning EMI. I can run sensitivity around 24-25 with no issues. Are you using the factory supplied headphones when this is happening? Did you try doing a factory reset to see if it helps?
My Manticore doesn't like my Fisher pinpointed when I use it & becomes very chatty when I use it. But has no problem when I use my Deus MI-6 pin pointer.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj -- that's not the run time of the machine, or the Minelab headphones. It's the run time of a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver (non-Minelab equipment) that he is using WITH his Manticore...

Steve
Thanks for clarification on that Steve.
I got mixed up from reading this:
" My biggest gripe is that the wireless low latency BC headphones I found only have a 4 hour run time before they need a re-charge and the transmitter is probably about the same."

From the tester video tester on the Manticore vs 900 I understood it that a user had to use only the headphones that came with the machine.

OP
OP
P

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not read anything you stated that there is an Issue with the Manticore, EMI is an issue with all detectors some worse than others the issue you are seeing with the transmitter is and issue with the transmitter not the Manticore LOL
You are right, oldkoot. I probably should have said something like "Manticore Personal Issues" because what I am talking about is just my yard (the EMI here is especially nasty) and my testing some audio options I want to make work with the Manticore. They have nothing to do with the Manticore headphones. Although many of us wish Minelab would have made the wireless headphone transmission compatible with other low latency devices.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, oldkoot. I probably should have said something like "Manticore Personal Issues" because what I am talking about is just my yard (the EMI here is especially nasty) and my testing some audio options I want to make work with the Manticore. They have nothing to do with the Manticore headphones. Although many of us wish Minelab would have made the wireless headphone transmission compatible with other low latency devices.

Did you take it out of multifreq and try individual freqs? Many times the eq would have trouble with EMI in multi freq from something electrical close, but could find a single freq that ran smooth.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I got my Manticore today. Tested it in my home coin garden snd mine it also chatty as all git. I can test my Equinox, both 600 and 800. Sensitivity runs smooth at 21. Getting this Manticore smooth requires a sense setting of 19. Maybe a full charge on the battery will help. That should not be it though frustating to have all the chatter, even after several noise cancels and ground balances. Is there an auto mode to set this thing up with?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
McKinney_5900 -- here's something to try to get the machine to quiet down. LONG-PRESS noise cancel. To do this properly, ground balance first, and then...run your sensitivity up to where the unit is just on the fringe of being "chatty." Then, hold the coil about 16" above the ground, parallel to the ground (i.e. in "detecting position"), and PERFECTLY STILL, and then press and HOLD the noise cancel button, while watching the screen. Eventually, while STILL PRESSING THE BUTTON, the machine will begin to settle onto a couple of channels, and then, eventually, onto one (or maybe two). Keeping the coil perfectly still, watch for the unit to finally settle on ONE channel (or, if it won't choose the one it seems to like "best"), and THEN release the button. Now, see if you can't run sensitivity up a few more notches (until you hit that "edge of chatty" place).

And, don't be shy about using that "long-press noise cancel" procedure FREQUENTLY, while hunting.

Hat tip to Tom Dankowski (one of the engineers that is -- and has been since the beginning -- working with Minelab on Manticore's development) for sharing this "trick."

Steve

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
McKinney_5900 -- here's something to try to get the machine to quiet down. LONG-PRESS noise cancel. To do this properly, ground balance first, and then...run your sensitivity up to where the unit is just on the fringe of being "chatty." Then, hold the coil about 16" above the ground, parallel to the ground (i.e. in "detecting position"), and PERFECTLY STILL, and then press and HOLD the noise cancel button, while watching the screen. Eventually, while STILL PRESSING THE BUTTON, the machine will begin to settle onto a couple of channels, and then, eventually, onto one (or maybe two). Keeping the coil perfectly still, watch for the unit to finally settle on ONE channel (or, if it won't choose the one it seems to like "best"), and THEN release the button. Now, see if you can't run sensitivity up a few more notches (until you hit that "edge of chatty" place).

And, don't be shy about using that "long-press noise cancel" procedure FREQUENTLY, while hunting.

Hat tip to Tom Dankowski (one of the engineers that is -- and has been since the beginning -- working with Minelab on Manticore's development) for sharing this "trick."

Steve
Is the auto noise cancel good? I have always selected manual with every machine I owned. This one is very fast. I have it set to auto now but not much test time yet.

OP
OP
P

pspr

May 24, 2012
Flower Mound, Texas
Detector(s) used
Manticore
Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
Other

Steve
Hi Steve,

It looks like McKinney_5900 is having the same issue I am with the noisy Manticore.

I didn't try individual frequencies but I did do the long noise cancel several times. I've been reading NASA-Tom's suggestions and trying to apply them.

I'll give the individual frequency suggestion a try next time I get out in the yard.

Thanks, Steve and Treasure_Hunter.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the auto noise cancel good? I have always selected manual with every machine I owned. This one is very fast. I have it set to auto now but not much test time yet.
McKinney -- did you mean to say "auto ground balance?"

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Playing with the ground balance isn't going to do anything to help EMI. Two different issues.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
McKinney -- did you mean to say "auto ground balance?"

Steve
My Etrac and Explorers ran continuous tracking of some type. I likely confused ground balance with noise cancel in my post. It is the one setting that gives the squiggly symbol at the top of the display. It seems to lean to "positive" in my swings but I've only tested it with the Manticore for half a day here at home. Thanks.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my Manticore today. Tested it in my home coin garden snd mine it also chatty as all git. I can test my Equinox, both 600 and 800. Sensitivity runs smooth at 21. Getting this Manticore smooth requires a sense setting of 19. Maybe a full charge on the battery will help. That should not be it though frustating to have all the chatter, even after several noise cancels and ground balances. Is there an auto mode to set this thing up with?
Did you continuous noise cancel to find the best channel?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I can't find the auto lighting feature in the general setting. The on-line instructional show it in Utube, but mine never displays the word "Auto" in the lighting menu.

Do you see it?

Last edited:

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the auto lighting feature in the general setting. The on-line instructional show it in Utube, but mine never displays the word "Auto" in the lighting menu.

Do you see it?
Once in General Settings push top right button on key pad. Then you see Lighting & settings for Display , keypad & flashlight. There is no word Auto shown in my lighting settings adjustment.

Last edited:

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I understand what you're asking . On page 34 of the manual there is suppose to be manual or Auto setting for lighting that works with the light sensor on keypad. But I don't see it in the lighting adjustment settings. When I put my finger over the light sensor the brightness does change on my keypad. So I am thinking the auto & manual settings work independently and there might not be a adjustment we make for the auto setting?

Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Now I understand what you're asking . On page 34 of the manual there is suppose to be manual or Auto setting for lighting that works with the light sensor on keypad. But I don't see it in the lighting adjustment settings. When I put my finger over the light sensor the brightness does change on my keypad. So I am thinking the auto & manual settings work independently and there might not be a adjustment we make for the auto setting?

Wow! That works. I just tested it. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread