MAP TO LDM FOR SALE!

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found three versions of the Perfil Map and I bet there have been more. Can anyone post an image of what is considered to be the original?

Bill

Alaskabill,
You asked for it in your post on Nov 15th, the original map. As you will see, the original is on cowhide. Almost all of the various printed copies are tracings and have data added by others, sometimes purposely to confuse the reader such as the N at the top.
PM me for details not stated here.

I just got a new 27inch monitor with an iMac computer yesterday and can't manage to resize my Cannon Rebel T1-I 15 megapixel pictures down to an acceptable size for posting here. I will email the (.jpg) photo (reduced to 15 or 20% but still rather large) to anyone who asks. (or better yet, someone tell me how to resize the photo small enough for posting it here.) All of my programs are for PC's and don't work on my new Macintosh.

dustcap -Ken Chichester

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
dustcap said:
I just got a new 27inch monitor with an iMac computer yesterday and can't manage to resize my Cannon Rebel T1-I 15 megapixel pictures down to an acceptable size for posting here. I will email the (.jpg) photo (reduced to 15 or 20% but still rather large) to anyone who asks. (or better yet, someone tell me how to resize the photo small enough for posting it here.) All of my programs are for PC's and don't work on my new Macintosh.

dustcap -Ken Chichester

Hi Ken,

Let me know if the iMac suggestion worked to resize your pix. Also you might check any software that came with your Cannon Rebel. My Cannon came with the PhotoStudio app that I use.

Bill

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found three versions of the Perfil Map and I bet there have been more. Can anyone post an image of what is considered to be the original?

Bill

Bill, :hello:

I finally found a way to send photos from iphoto file via the 'share' drop-down menu as you suggested. :notworthy: It would not give me an option to send to a file folder on my computer and had a heck of a time trying to find out just where it went. By sending it to myself in email I can now forward it (them) to you. (so I have another copy for later???) If I had your email address I could have sent it directly. :sign13:
I have over 20 versions, related information, etc. of that map.
Reply to me directly at my email address [email protected] as an email with only three pictures was over 2MB... too big for here.!? (unless the max attachment size allowed is 12 TIMES 1000KB. I understand it to be 1000KB max for all attachments per post. ) :read2: :help:

"Maximum attachment size allowed: 1000 KB, per post: 12" :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

I will try to attach the original leather map. :icon_pirat: :o

-Ken

Attachments

• profil map cowhide small.jpg
    profil map cowhide small.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 609

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...that came with your Cannon Rebel. My Cannon came with the PhotoStudio app that I use.

Bill

Finally got that leather map to post.

The software that came with the Cannon was listed on my virus alert as having a 'KEY LOGGER' embedded so I won't be putting it on the new computer. That is the reason I went with Macintosh this time. Too many snoops on the old PC. (249 adware, key loggers, spyware, etc. along with 27 worms.)

-Ken

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
dustcap said:
Bill, :hello:

..... I have over 20 versions, related information, etc. of that map.

Reply to me directly at my email address ......

I will try to attach the original leather map. :icon_pirat: :o

-Ken

Hi Ken,

My email address is on the way for you to send back larger images. Thanks in advance and have a great Holiday Season.

Bill

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
RGINN said:
Bill, you must come up with that book and read it sometime; it's a good read. We could probably all make more money writin about treasure than actually findin it. I think the only more lucrative form of writin would be ransom notes, if everything worked out alright.

Hi RGINN,

Well, I found a copy of hillbilly bob's book, Shadow of the Sentinel on Amazon, got it a week ago and have since read it through twice! I am now a "born again" Dutchman Researcher. I consider his book authoritative, extremely well documented, and arguments mostly convincing. In fact, his evidence and discussion about the KGC has convinced me that there is a high probability that the other great lost mine legend in the US, the Lost Adams Diggings, is a cover story for an operation executed by Confederate soldiers or sympathizers.

I guess these thoughts should be on the LAD and other threads.

I'd like to ask him a couple of questions. Do you know if he has an "open" email available to his readers or other way to contact him?

Bill

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

If you are interested in both sides of the story, I would reccomend that you pick up a copy of:
"FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION" by A.J. Hanna. It's been published in hardback and paperback, so prices are wide ranging.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
cactusjumper said:
Bill,

If you are interested in both sides of the story, I would recommend that you pick up a copy of:
"FLIGHT INTO OBLIVION" by A.J. Hanna. It's been published in hardback and paperback, so prices are wide ranging.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

Hi Joe,

And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also. Thanks for the recommended reading. I'll check the libraries and see if a copy is available to me.

I scanned the book's toc and index available on Amazon. There were three references (only 7 pages) available on the "Confederate Treasure" and nothing about the KGC.

From the information available about the book it appears to be a very interesting and detailed report about the destiny of Clay's cabnet members that never made it into the usual history books about that period in our history.

When you indicate "...the other side of the story" , to what are you referring?

Always learning,

Bill

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

I took a brief look into the KGC legend some time ago. As I understood it, the treasure aspect of the story began with the Confederate Treasurey, and what became of it.

"Flight Into Oblivion" tells that story, as it was written by the men who lived it. Here is a short passage from the book:

[The subdued unrest of the morning had completely vanished. Confusion was everywhere as members of Congress, various underofficials, and dignitaries clamored for places on all available trains of the Richmond & Danville Railroad which began leaving the Confederate capital late in the afternoon. About $5OO,000 in double eagle gold pieces, which had been seized in the United States mint in New Orleans in 1861, in copper coins and in silver bricks, gold ingots and nuggets, packed in sacks and boxes—all that remained of the treasure of the Confederacy and the private treasure of the banks of Richmond—had been loaded, during the afternoon, on one train under the supervision of Walter Philbrook, Senior Teller of the Treasury Department, and a group of his assistants. It was guarded by sixty young midshipmen from the Confederate States Naval Academy who were told by their Commandant, Captain William H. Parker, that they had been selected for this dangerous service because they were known to be brave, honest, and discreet young men, and gentlemen. They had been rushed up to Richmond from their school ship, the Patriot Henry, on the James River, and had arrived just in time to prevent what might have developed into a serious pillaging of the treasure by a mob. On another train were Brigadier General Josiah Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance, and a large number of employees from the armory which he had established at Richmond with the machinery captured at Harper's Ferry."

The rest of the book details what became of the that loot...... and the men who were fleeing the Government, a bite at a time. I have a nice first edition, signed by Hanna. It's an interesting piece of history and I have read it a couple of times.

I am no expert, or even a fan, of the KGC so my conclusions as to how they got their start could very well be all wrong.

Take care,

Joe

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Thanks, Joe,

I had read some anecdotal information about the missing Confederate Treasure or the remaining assets in the Confederate Treasury several times in the past, but nothing to the detail that this book appears to provide about the period immediately following the surrender at Appomattox.

I'll have to go to the library.

On the hunt,

Bill

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bill,

If your library doesn't have a copy, you can pick this one up from Abe Books for under $19. which includes shipping:

Flight Into Oblivion
Hanna, A.J.
Bookseller: Chop Suey Books
(Richmond, VA, U.S.A.)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 1959. Rae, John (illustrator). Reprint. Near Fine hardcover in a Very Good+ dust jacket. Pages and text are clean and show little age. Numerous b&w illustrations. Chipping to the corners and spine of the jacket, otherwise an attractive copy. 306 pp. Bookseller Inventory # 2006128

It's well worth owning, even though I would prefer a first edition from 1938. I have used mine for source material a number of times.

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, Bob Brewer has a blog web site. There is an email contact there: [email protected]. John and Anita London wrote back and said Bob does not reply to emails anymore because he has trouble with his eyes.

alaskabill

Jan 5, 2009
Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Salvor6 said:
Bill, Bob Brewer has a blog web site. There is an email contact there: [email protected]. John and Anita London wrote back and said Bob does not reply to emails anymore because he has trouble with his eyes.

Salvor6,

Thanks for the lead. I think I'll try anyway. If he still keeps his blog online, he probably is just selective about responding. I'm sure he gets inundated with requests. I've got some information to pass along to him.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread