N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Catch,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
You might get more positive results if you are more specific in your search. For example, request 'old railroad routes in Oklahoma' or 'ghost towns of Oklahoma' or ...........whatever you're looking for. If you believe this Forum can assist, just ask.
Don.......

OP
OP
C

catch

Nov 1, 2012
PONCA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have goggled sanborn maps, historic town maps ect... but found no good site. I am specifically interested in the old maps of homesteads or structures on farms. I know that after the land run the owner had to make improvements to the land (structures) so each farm should have a house or barn or something. I just cant find the site to find the info or maps. Any help is appreciated. FYI i am in northern oklahoma around the Tonkawa area

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we used to be able to get sanborn maps online but they locked them under password a couple years ago. Sanborns are som eof the best maps you can use if you are hunting inside a town.

My suggestio would be to start spending times in every library and local history museum you can find.

Xtina

Oct 7, 2012
Indian Territory
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a couple of sites I have used:

McCasland Digital Collection of Early Oklahoma and Indian Territory Maps

Home - BLM GLO Records

On the BLM site, go to "Survey Plats & Field Notes" & you can search by township & range by county. I don't know how detailed the surveyors were in Oklahoma Territory, but the area where I live (the old Choctaw Nation) are pretty detailed. They show the location of old roads, some of the residences of people where they surveyors must have stayed & some old churches.

Here's another site I've used:

Maps 'n' More

Some of the links may be broken on this last site, but if you keep pecking away, you can find some things. I think this last site has the old 1915 atlas maps that show the railroads & locations of towns which may not exist anymore. There's also the more recent maps by township & range that are of more recent vintage.

Last edited:

Xtina

Oct 7, 2012
Indian Territory
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh..and let me add something: if you use the BLM plat maps, choose the maps done around the turn of the century as the 1870's maps are short on details.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Catch, I was turned on to HistoricArials.com. It mostly only gors back to 1955 some have gone as far as 1931 here. Oky might no offer it but give it a try, I really enjoy it. I see if the parks were there in 55 , ball fields and old homesteads. I have seen old home steads that used to be there before the golf course was built. I just havent figured out to dig in the fairways yet . LOL

OP
OP
C

catch

Nov 1, 2012
PONCA CITY, OKLAHOMA
Detector(s) used
TESORO CIBOLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL It would be difficult diggin and dodging balls at the same time

mapman

Jun 10, 2006
Lakewood, Colorado
Yes, BLM has survey plats available on line and some very interesting old mapped plats. You will need to know what file to look at. If you have any trouble then contact me through my web page oldusmaps.com and I will be glad to give you some free sample and information. (once) Lewis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread