Attachments

• 8-1-11 dive2 marbles.JPG
    8-1-11 dive2 marbles.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,410

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
schweet!! how bout another shot of the one in the center below the blue swirl dead center...it looks like its got a spirial on half...is it porcelin?// that may be highly collectible

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Duffytrash,

I wish I could do that but I am trolling the forum tonight to see what I can post based on photos on my hard drive. I have sooooooo many marbles that I am not sure I could separate that one out from where it is stored. I recover between 10-30 on every dive and I have them sorted by 'color' in several large tackle boxes. I am a bottle collector who loves everything glass so marbles are always recovered. I will post my collection tomorrow and maybe you can tell me what I am sitting on.

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the only other photo I have of this marble at the moment.

Attachments

• 8-1-11 dive2 marbles close-up.JPG
    8-1-11 dive2 marbles close-up.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,297

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
duffytrash said:
schweet!! how bout another shot of the one in the center below the blue swirl dead center...it looks like its got a spirial on half...is it porcelin?// that may be highly collectible
that is the exact same marble that stuck out to me being possiblly worth a small fortune...lol

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi duffy and creeper,

I am finally home and trying to capture the true colors of this little guy. It appears to be a red clay marble that has a pea green salt glaze on one half and 3 purple bands on the other half. Since i am nort a big fan of fleabay, how would you guys suggest I find a buyer for this marble if it is what you think it is?

Here are some close ups of some others from the same spot but different dives.

Attachments

• Resampled_2011-07-18_19-51-29_647.jpg
    Resampled_2011-07-18_19-51-29_647.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Resampled_2011-07-18_19-51-15_899.jpg
    Resampled_2011-07-18_19-51-15_899.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Resampled_2011-07-18_19-50-49_428.jpg
    Resampled_2011-07-18_19-50-49_428.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,118
  • red clay banded and glazed marble from 2011.jpg
    red clay banded and glazed marble from 2011.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,109

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
if theres any damage its value is diminished......maybe you could try craigs list and maybe you would get a hit...i would try brian graham on the akronmarbles website....he maybe be able to hook you up...at least he could give you a heads up on the price...tell him i sent you!!!

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Duffy,

I just emailed Brian over at Akron...I had emailed Joan of the "Marbleforum" prior to seeing your post, she stated she had never seen a yellow bullseye china before but felt that the marble in question is a china bullseye and very old...So who knows, I will keep searching and the right buyer will come along eventually and get what they want and I will return to the site in the spring and "harvest" the rest of the marbles as there is one area of bottom that is fairly loaded with them. Here is a photo of my box of river/lake recovered marbles from New England.

Attachments

• Marble Bin 1 .jpg
    Marble Bin 1 .jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 664

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

At the risk of sounding less educated (which I am), how do so many marbles end up in rivers and lakes?

H_S

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
riverdiver

i have never been to this marble side, i post on the beach side and found what i think was a cats eye yesterday, but

one of my hunting budddies who has not puter is our local marble guru and has many many many marbles, many of which are very rare and expensive......i will show him and get back to you.
max

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx Max,

On a side note I really enjoy watching your videos of VA beach. Ask your friend about the little clay looking striped one in the middle please as some think it might be rare but I am having little luck proving that fact. Check out the added photos Max.

HS-I believe that there are so many in the water here in NH because boys will be boys and use them as ammo maybe in a slingshot. Most of my recoveries of u/w marbles are in the immediate vicinity of river bridges and boat harbors/marinas.

Attachments

• Glazed Bulls Eye China 2.jpg
    Glazed Bulls Eye China 2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • Glazed Bulls Eye China 3.jpg
    Glazed Bulls Eye China 3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Glazed Bullseye China1.jpg
    Glazed Bullseye China1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,296

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
diver..it is a rare htf marble ,but the condition hurts it in a big way.....collectors rarely buy damaged marbles....if it was in good shape it would sell easily...in that condition it could be a filler for a set ..in marble collecting condition is everything.....put it on ebay with good pictures and describing the damages..an interested party might jump on it....you may get $20 or more for it if you start it low enough....in pristine condition i would expect less that $50....

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
riverdiver said:
HS-I believe that there are so many in the water here in NH because boys will be boys and use them as ammo maybe in a slingshot. Most of my recoveries of u/w marbles are in the immediate vicinity of river bridges and boat harbors/marinas.

That makes sense, thanks for the reply.

H_S

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Duffytrash,

Thanks for the info, care to expand on the meaning of "rare htf marble" as in what does htf stand for and as there are others like this one still on the bottom what could you suggest I do to preserve them during the salvage and recovery part to prevent more damage?

Better yet how about I give you a call instead, I am in NH so look for a cp # starting with 603 in your caller id.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent some time underwater myself, and never found anywhere near that many.

I do find an occasional one MDing or just plain lookin down.

Marbles were a great pastime in the 50's, but after that, the popularity went down. Maybe then is when they got used for slingshot ammo.

The champion marble player in my town had an entire dresser drawer of them, but I suppose that most got lost by brothers, the scourge of every boy.

Guess most ended up lost.

jibb

Feb 9, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious but are you actually using scuba gear and diving in rivers? Thats awesome if so! I wanna do that!

OP
OP
riverdiver

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jibb,

Yes, I am using scuba gear in rivers, only we don't swim, we walk around on the bottom with weighted boots. We use less air and stay down much longer.

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread