Marbles I have picked up over last few months!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been saving marbles for many years now but always give them away.Never really thought of them being worth much!$I remember my grandfathers telling me how they shot marbles alot when they were kids.My dad did to and I recall him and me playing a little.But that was simpler times it seems.Anyway started keeping them again and was wondering if there is any value on these! Other than toys from past days!The top two one clay found were I find arrowheads and one I'm guesing porcelian.The others have came from old home sites.I also posted a question in what is it awhile back on why a black light made some glass glow.Because some of these older marbles would glow to. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 2009_0218GlowingGlass0002.JPG
    2009_0218GlowingGlass0002.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 837
  • 2009_0225Marbles0002.JPG
    2009_0225Marbles0002.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 832
  • 2009_0225Marbles0001.JPG
    2009_0225Marbles0001.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 860
  • 2009_0218GlowingGlass0002.JPG
    2009_0218GlowingGlass0002.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 830
  • 2009_0218GlowingGlass0001.JPG
    2009_0218GlowingGlass0001.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 816

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
uranium oxide is usually the element that makes the marbles glow....some companies added that to the mix to create a softer white....most marbles were made from cullet instead of batch mix due to the cost of the elements.....sometimes they needed to batch for the base glass....the other glass colors that glow will mostly be from metalic elements used for different colors....like sulpher oxide for yellow...ive got a chart round here someplace that explains this but i haint seen it for years...lolol..... ill look for it....most companies used recycled glass in their marbles......clear green 7-up bottles....red glass....brake light lenses...brown...beer bottles...some of the opaque colored marbles that have a patch and ribbon are batch colors...the companies developed a vaneering process to lower the costr...they could put these on solid color marbles mainly white as this was the cheapest glass to produce....

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Looks like lots of Akro Agate Co. marbles..

As for $$$ value the real value is a thing beyond price. The collectibles market changes according to what's today's fad. Antique marbles wer'nt worth diddly a few years ago. Then they became collectible and prices skyrocketed. Al the bottle-diggers,etc suddenly remembered the old sites they had thought were worked out,returned to them,found marbles and sold them on Ebay. Now the prices are heading downwards fast as America is facing another Great Depression that may make the last one pale in significance to what's coming. The big money now is in surplus miliary ammunition meant to prepare us from criminals who will flood outwards from major population centers into rural areas to rob,pillage,rape and murder. Websearch surplus miliarty ammo and you'll see 'Out of stock/sold out'. due to demand.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
"As for $$$ value the real value is a thing beyond price. The collectibles market changes according to what's today's fad. Antique marbles wer'nt worth diddly a few years ago. Then they became collectible and prices skyrocketed. Al the bottle-diggers,etc suddenly remembered the old sites they had thought were worked out,returned to them,found marbles and sold them on Ebay. Now the prices are heading downwards fast as America is facing another Great Depression that may make the last one pale in significance to what's coming. The big money now is in surplus miliary ammunition meant to prepare us from criminals who will flood outwards from major population centers into rural areas to rob,pillage,rape and murder. Websearch surplus miliarty ammo and you'll see 'Out of stock/sold out'. due to demand."

ammo shortages,,,,,are caused by fear..... people are afraid that Obama might ban assault guns......WRONG.....he will take away your ammo....much easier to do.....SO what good is your gun with out ammo.....this is what I feel, is causing good people to hoard ammo....hence......ammo any where in he USA is scares now.....so stock up..... and time will tell

db

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
The big money now is in surplus miliary ammunition meant to prepare us from criminals who will flood outwards from major population centers into rural areas to rob,pillage,rape and murder. Websearch surplus miliarty ammo and you'll see 'Out of stock/sold out'. due to demand.
i believe the ammo shortage was due to 2 things.....one the price of brass at the time was almost $4 a lb.....and the other is there was a rumor going around that since they haven't been able to register guns they were going to register the amm so that the ammo could be traced back to whoever purchased it. they said Obama was going to do this when elected so there was a big rush to purchase as much of the "untraceable ammo" as possible

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
what kind of posts are these? This is Treasurenet. You should keep your political views to yourselves. I think some of you guys have lost your marbles.

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I was pointing out that the collectibles market..

..is depressed because America's in a Depression. And that 'treasure' is not always purely monetary. Anyone thinking they're going to get into metal detecting and make a fast million bucks is a nutcase. Call it my little rebellion against the "How much is it worth?" phenomenon. I've had the experience of showing silver coins I've dug to others and got the response "How much are they worth?". I say "Oh,mayble twenty five bucks". They respond with "How much did that detector cost you?" and I say "About eleven hundred bucks". And they ask "How long did it take you to find those coins?" and I say "Oh,I guess about four hours in the sun and lots of digging". They smirk,burst out with laughter and derisively tell me only a loser would do what I do. But I did'nt do it for the twenty five bucks. I did it for something else. It is that 'something else' that I wish so fervently to express at TreasureNet.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
what kind of posts are these? This is Treasurenet. You should keep your political views to yourselves. I think some of you guys have lost your marbles.
not sure if you were referring to my post or not but i was only gving my opinion based on what i know (the price of brass at the time) and what i heard (rumors of traceable ammo)
although you are correct.....i have lost some of my marbles ;D

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
You've still got your marbles..

I was just responding to the comment about political posts. What I meant was there's more than one kind of 'treasure'. The people who post at TreasureNet have a wonderful ability to discerne goodies buried underfoot
that others pass by. Even in a small city park there may have been 100,000 or more people walking the grounds over the course of decades. Then one person with a metal detector comes along and finds beautiful coins and jewelry. Some recognize opportunity where others do not. Could be buried coins or business opportunity. I wish that three years ago I would've bought $100,000 worth of surplus military ammo. I could sell the whole lot right now for $300,000.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I wish that three years ago I would've bought $100,000 worth of surplus military ammo. I could sell the whole lot right now for $300,000.
i too had an opportunity to get some of that surplus, unfortunately i was low on funds at the time.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Re: I was pointing out that the collectibles market..

Marbleguy said:
..is depressed because America's in a Depression. And that 'treasure' is not always purely monetary. Anyone thinking they're going to get into metal detecting and make a fast million bucks is a nutcase. Call it my little rebellion against the "How much is it worth?" phenomenon. I've had the experience of showing silver coins I've dug to others and got the response "How much are they worth?". I say "Oh,mayble twenty five bucks". They respond with "How much did that detector cost you?" and I say "About eleven hundred bucks". And they ask "How long did it take you to find those coins?" and I say "Oh,I guess about four hours in the sun and lots of digging". They smirk,burst out with laughter and derisively tell me only a loser would do what I do. But I did'nt do it for the twenty five bucks. I did it for something else. It is that 'something else' that I wish so fervently to express at TreasureNet.

This is one of the most meaningfull replies I have ever seen on T-Net. This says it all. I'm not here for a quick buck.
Randy

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see Timekiller, if you had posted some bullets, everyone here would have brought up the dire situation of the glass manufacturing industry. Weird how it works that way. Aside from that, never knew that some marbles can glow under a black light. Plan to check mine out. Thanks for the info,
Carl

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: I was pointing out that the collectibles market..

Marbleguy said:

Don't ya just hate that....and it's those same critics of our hobby that waiste their money on video games, sit around and do nothing all day.

Al

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I'm working a site now..

..that involves me digging up 1,000lbs of sand,rocks and boulders bigger than my body every morning. The effort is keeping me alive. My doctor told me months ago I'll be dead from kidney failure two years from now. Since then every blood test I've taken shows improvement to the point my last visit with the doc he told me I'm doing so much better I may live another thirty years. Whether we metal detect or look for antique marbles it involves exercise. We walk long distances,bend down,sit down on the ground and dig. Those artifacts don't just jump into our hands. Weeks ago I dug up 6,000lbs of sand and rocks to find one stunningly lovely Peltier marble. Where I dig is in the Mojave Desert next to Death Valley in a ghost town on private property. I have permission from the owner to do this. The BLM is bigtime miffed but can't stop me. The BLM can bite my posterior for all I care. I've never encountered a bigger bunch of losers. I wonder if they did'nt have a cozy government job what they'd be doing. Probably digging thru trash dumpsters.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm working a site now..

Marbleguy said:
..that involves me digging up 1,000lbs of sand,rocks and boulders bigger than my body every morning. The effort is keeping me alive. My doctor told me months ago I'll be dead from kidney failure two years from now. Since then every blood test I've taken shows improvement to the point my last visit with the doc he told me I'm doing so much better I may live another thirty years. Whether we metal detect or look for antique marbles it involves exercise. We walk long distances,bend down,sit down on the ground and dig. Those artifacts don't just jump into our hands. Weeks ago I dug up 6,000lbs of sand and rocks to find one stunningly lovely Peltier marble. Where I dig is in the Mojave Desert next to Death Valley in a ghost town on private property. I have permission from the owner to do this. The BLM is bigtime miffed but can't stop me. The BLM can bite my posterior for all I care. I've never encountered a bigger bunch of losers. I wonder if they did'nt have a cozy government job what they'd be doing. Probably digging thru trash dumpsters.
You sound like an interresting man marbleguy!Glad your health is better hope your able to keep up doing what you like.I've seen many people just seem to give up,and a few who have the will to fight seem to make room for miracles to happen!Stay active and do what you like! Good Luck!

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
It's the artifacts I'm finding that give me joy..

Little things like the cartridge case I dug up this morning 'U.S.C. Co. 30 GOV' and the little 4" diameter tin plate from a set of dishes which once accompanied a little girl's 1920s doll. All these things that I am so blessed to be able to excavate every morning since March of 2003 remove from me the threat of time. My doctor says I'll be dead from kidney failure two years from now. But one cannot excavate these artifacts without bridging time and space. The little girl who once played with the tin dish grew up,got married,had kids and grandkids and probably died and turned to dust. That is my fate. But that she lived,so do I. The artifacts that we dig up make time non-existant. And says to us that each of our lives have meaning and that we do not go into the night forgotten by humankind. We leave something of ourselves behind us that will live on forever.

P

pippinwhitepaws

dang people...photos of some real beautiful marbles and suddenly off in rightwingnutfield...
urban dwellers will not invade the countryside...they are lazy an get lost without street signs...they prefer to rape and pillage their own neighborhoods....maybe across town, if the street lamps are on.

nice collection sir.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread