my find

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
Those are nice..

Where I live in the Mojave Desert there's lots of abandoned homes built during the 1930s. There's antique marbles in every one of their yards. After strong windstorms the marbles are exposed.

OP
OP
C

CivicDude

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009
thanks Marbleguy do i have anything good here iam going to keep looking.
iam near palm springs

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
The top and right ones..

..look like Akro Agate. Maybe all three are. They're definately collectible. A quick way to compare your marbles to others is websearch 'antique marbles' on Ebay. I have six books covering antique marbles. A big problem is these authors giving lots of photos of the finest marbles in their collections. That's wonderful,but what about the marbles we're actually going to find? I'm as fascinated with a $2 or $3 marble as I am with a $500 marble. Have you looked around the old townsites surrounding the Salten Sea? And any of the once-thriving towns along the old Route 66? Marbles played with by kids in the desert during the 1930s got dropped into desert sand and lost. I make sure,after strong desert winds to walk thru certain formerly habited areas. Wind blows the sand away. Artifacts are left laying in open sight right on the surface. Marbles,coins,trinkets,etc. I have learned to let nature do most of the work for me. And I always check the piles of dirt where other people have dug for antique bottles,etc. I've found dozens of old marbles that've rolled down the dirt piles,discarded by diggers who thought them of no value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread