What's new

Marked Coins

SilverStrike

Greenie
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I opened the box I got from the bank this morning and just about every roll I opened was marked. >:("dangit").. So I stopped and took care of a few other things around the house. Long story short I came back to the box and figured I guess I will search the rest of some body else’s dumps. I spotted what looked to be an older coin on one of the ends.. nope that roll was marked as well. Got to the last 5 rolls, of what I thought was a skunk... but wait a super bright 1978 s.. and then 4 40%ers and in the next roll..., cool a 1920 walker and 1964. Goes to show ya, you should never assume that the box is bad ;D!! Also I found a coin that looks to be cut not sure if it came from the mint that way (ERROR?), any ideas.. and a novelty gold plated 1971.
 

Attachments

  • DSC04157.webp
    DSC04157.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 388
Upvote 0
eagleeyesone said:
I opened the box I got from the bank this morning and just about every roll I opened was marked. >:("dangit").. So I stopped and took care of a few other things around the house. Long story short I came back to the box and figured I guess I will search the rest of some body else’s dumps. I spotted what looked to be an older coin on one of the ends.. nope that roll was marked as well. Got to the last 5 rolls, of what I thought was a skunk... but wait a super bright 1978 s.. and then 4 40%ers and in the next roll..., cool a 1920 walker and 1964. Goes to show ya, you should never assume that the box is bad ;D!! Also I found a coin that looks to be cut not sure if it came from the mint that way?, any ideas.. and a gold plated 1971.


The gold plated halves are all after market. I kept the first couple when I started CRHing. The ones with the date stamps annoy me for some reason. What is the purpose of them??? Now I pitch them in with the rest of the dumps. I do keep nice shiny gold-plated bicentennials because I give them out to friends who are easily impressed by the gold electroplate finish and think the coins are something special.

Jim
 
Sorry the "cut "coin is the Bi cen. 1976 (ERROR?)
 

Attachments

  • DSC04158.webp
    DSC04158.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 375
Another angle
 

Attachments

  • DSC04160.webp
    DSC04160.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 361
I have a 1980 gold half double stamped 60-80 to mark the 20th anniversary of his election.

Unlike the ones ya'll have found though, mine was from a coin shop and came in a cardboard holder that is about 3 inches by 5 inches with the coin sealed tight in thin plastic.

It was made by the columbia mint and the cardboard is serial numbered. Apparently they made quite a few as my serial number is 35k+, with no total given. And mine is only from the 20th anniversary minting, and according to ya'll they had one for a 25th as well.

So there are quite a few lying around...

~Dave
 
I have found 2 of those gold ones in the past month. Both stamped 1960 - 1985.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom