What's new

Mars Meteorite Sells For MILLIONS!

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,755
Reaction score
35,421
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kuyt.webp
 
Millions? Dat is cheap! Imagine what it would cost to go get it.

Yep, probably be more along the lines of $5 Billion, or more, if you
include baggage, meals, lots of liquor, and of course flight insurance.
ufo-021.gif
 
That's crazy. I don't see the fascination. You can't say for certain it's from Mars (I mean, nobody saw it come from there and wind up here, so it's all speculation and theories), but even if it is ... what can you do with it? Five million bucks is a lot of green for a doorstop.
 
That's crazy. I don't see the fascination. You can't say for certain it's from Mars (I mean, nobody saw it come from there and wind up here, so it's all speculation and theories), but even if it is ... what can you do with it? Five million bucks is a lot of green for a doorstop.
This was a bargain compared to the slipper sale last December.
I'm applying the old saying of "More money than brains "

Screenshot_20250717_054931_Google.webp
 
Darn I knew I should of kept that ole rock ! :laughing7: :coffee2:
Yes you should have. And I around 15 years ago should have marked a big rock that made my MD go off way back in these Tennessee woods. I dug all around it and found nothing but it was big enough no man was going to carry it out.
 
That's crazy. I don't see the fascination. You can't say for certain it's from Mars (I mean, nobody saw it come from there and wind up here, so it's all speculation and theories), but even if it is ... what can you do with it? Five million bucks is a lot of green for a doorstop.
Rings; Watch faces; Small pieces; Larger pieces; Bracelets; Pendants; Earrings; Sample sales to Universities; The owner can TRIPLE their investment and still have a sizable piece to display. Look up the Muonionalusta meteorite. I have a watch with a face made from it. Cost me $250.00 years ago.
s-l1600.webp
 
That's crazy. I don't see the fascination. You can't say for certain it's from Mars (I mean, nobody saw it come from there and wind up here, so it's all speculation and theories), but even if it is ... what can you do with it? Five million bucks is a lot of green for a doorstop.
This is true. One line of evidence pointing to Mars is gases trapped in Martian meteorites match exactly the ratios and composition of the atmosphere of Mars. The rocks are relatively young, so they must have come from a planetary body that was large enough to sustain geological processing. And that had a rocky composition, i.e., not from a gas giant.

As far as attraction, many meteorite collectors will want lunar and Martian samples, knowing they do come from those two most exotic planetary bodies. Collectors know the evidence is rock solid, excuse the pun. I remember being with friends one night, full moon, and producing one of my lunar samples, and saying “here guys, take turns holding a piece of that thing in the night sky above us”, or to that effect. It’s also enjoyable, if you’re a collector, to know/learn what planetary body one’s samples come from. And not just Martian or lunar. Some meteorite classes are linked to the asteroid Vesta, for instance. So, all just things that appeals to many collectors.

As Terry suggested, return on investment is possible. And most can afford small samples of such meteorites.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom