What's new

Masonic carved bullet?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please help my friend ID this piece he found in western Tennessee. Here is the info he gave me.

This is the find I made last Wed. It looks like a carved bullet with a Masonic emblem pressed in both sides, but it had something in one side and the top that had rusted out. I havent looked at all my books on artillary emblems yet to see if that could be it. But it sure looks like a Masonic emblem, was hoping some of yall could shed some light on this. The reason I thought it was carved, cause it is not true in size to have come from a mold. And if you look close you can see what appears to be the ring of the base of a bullet. I put the .69 cal. minne beside it for size to show if the top had been cut off to, which is not cut true also. Tell me your true opinion, and thanks.
 

Attachments

  • mason.webp
    mason.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 475
  • mason 2.webp
    mason 2.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 485
  • mason 3.webp
    mason 3.webp
    34 KB · Views: 464
  • mason 4.webp
    mason 4.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 467
  • mason 5.webp
    mason 5.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 460
  • mason 6.webp
    mason 6.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 467
  • mason 7.webp
    mason 7.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 480
WoW ya think you might be able to re-post a little bit biger, so we can see more detail??
 
Upvote 0
I resized them. Hope they are good enough. I think it is a seal but would like some more opinions on it.
 
Upvote 0
Very Cool Looking. Sorry I can not be of any real help on this but I agree it looks like it could be a Masonic Seal. But I really :dontknow: Good Luck! Kris
 
Upvote 0
I told my buddy that I think it is a seal. Just curious about the symbol on it and its age.
 
Upvote 0
I think I see a capitol letter "A". A Masonic symbol would have the letter "G". Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I think I see a capitol letter "A". A Masonic symbol would have the letter "G". Monty

I see the A also and was thinking that was not right for the Masons when I was trying to find something similar online earlier. I think the lines look like they are in the wrong position too. There is another letter A on the backside right top and I can not make out the letter in the center. If it is possible to clean it any better that might others to identify it. Kris
 
Upvote 0
From what I can see from the pics, it looks like the architect symbol/logo. Neat find, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Architect - Logo.webp
    Architect - Logo.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
The rust spots, two on top and one on bottom, make me think it is a wire bale seal.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
My buddy took this thing to a friend who says there are the letters CSA across the top. I can't see them in the pictures but, for the sake of argument, let's say they are there.
Could it be a confederate artillery seal?
 
Upvote 0
What I see in the side photo are strands of a steel wire that are cut almost flush.
Imagine one end inserted it the top then one end in the side then squeezed or
stamped shut. the jaws of the clamp having the impression of the triangle and A.

Sorta like the lead seal on our electrical boxes to show eveidence of tampering
if missing.
Now the question to be answered is "What was being sealed?" a bag of money
or a mechanism? Perhaps a lock box.
 
Upvote 0
It might be a little too light but maybe it is a plumb bob?? Ironically I dug two huge ones in the same hole as some sharps bullets neat the battlefield in Aldie, VA.. so I know they made them! ;-)

MB
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom