What's new

Masonic item

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a small metal print block with Masonic stuff on it . I would like any info on what branch of Masonicism it might be .

It says (backwards translated to forward))

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH

Thanks !
 

Attachments

  • Picture 003.webp
    Picture 003.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 435
  • Picture 004 (3).webp
    Picture 004 (3).webp
    31.8 KB · Views: 430
  • Picture 005 (5).webp
    Picture 005 (5).webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 433
The translation for In Hoc Signo Vinces... is In this Sign, You Will Conquer.
 
Upvote 0
JimDon said:
The translation for In Hoc Signo Vinces... is In this Sign, You Will Conquer.

The quote and the cross and crown motif on the bottom are both symbols of the Knights Templar.
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
i flipped image for you i hope you don't mind.
Thanks ! How'd you do that ?
 
Upvote 0
Another cool Whatisit? mojjax :icon_thumleft: How did you find that?

Mike
 
Upvote 0
latin -- in hoc singo vinces -- (in this sign victory) -- commonly stated as "in this sign , you will conquer"

the christian religion became ok in roman controlled areas --after roman emperor Constantine in 312 after seeing the cross and being told "to mark this sign upon your sheild for victory" -- he won a huge upset victory and converted to christ as his wife helena ( later st helena) was also christain as well.

the left symbol is the well known -- its the "blue lodge" 3rd degree "master masons symbol" -- the center one is the "triple tau" aka york rite "royal ach" 4th degree symbol --- the right symbol is the malteses cross --from the brave knights of the island of malta --who in their fortress in malta repelled a huge invading muslim army that meant to use malta as a staging point for the invasion of christian europe m their bravery earn them a special award from the pope of the time for their order. --

the crown in the cross is of course a knights templer type of symbol --"christ is king "
 
Upvote 0
Just had another look at this little treasure and I'm wondering if it is a wax seal intaglio, rather than a printing block. From what I can make out from the pics, it seems there would be few details left from using it to print, due to the obvious high points. The cross-hatching detail for example, doesn't look like it would transfer in a print.
Mojjax, any chance you can do a pencil/charcoal rub on it and then compare that to pressing the 'plate' into some playdough or similar?

Mike
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
trikikiwi said:
Another cool Whatisit? mojjax :icon_thumleft: How did you find that?

Mike
I agree. Cool Item ...Is it a dug treasure?
Thanks , It is not dug , I bought a box of trinkets at a rummage sale .

Thats some nice info on the symbols , Ivan !

I will try transfer it to a piece of paper or something when I get home from work .
 
Upvote 0
If it was used to print it would be backwards on paper or a seal , so I don't think that's what it was for. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I just flipped it back :D
 

Attachments

  • flip.webp
    flip.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0
I got an ink stamp pad at the Dollar Store - here's how it came out :
 

Attachments

  • k 001.webp
    k 001.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 0
the center item -- the circle O *outer* is omicron -- the triagle is delta
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
I got an ink stamp pad at the Dollar Store - here's how it came out :

Looks like most of the detail can be seen, so I'll agree with 'printing block' :icon_pirat:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Nice piece. The emblems show 3 of the 4 bodies of York Rite Masonry. Square & Compass- Blue Lodge,
Triple Tau in the triangle-Royal Arch & the last represents Knights Templar. The one missing is called
'Council' . The 'triple tau' is a Royal Arch emblem meaning the 3 T's. The tau being the 19th letter in the
Greek alphabet. The Royal Arch 'triple tau' consists of 3 T's linked in the center & joined at their bases.
This is surrounded by what is called the 'Equilateral Triangle' & both of these are symbols of Royal Arch
Masonry & have numerous meanings. So the York Rite consists of Blue Lodge, Chapter(Royal Arch) ,
Council & Commandery(Knights Templar). Again great find & no digging . :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
ah triple tau * ( tau being a "T" shape in the greek alphabet)--- york rite 4 th degree aka "royal arch" degree knew I had seen it before .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom