Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling 1652

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Excal / Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out with friends last Wednesday, finding nothing, friends finding,,, me? not so much... Almost gave up. (We've all been there), decided to switch to manual sensitivity on my 3030, gave another try... Bingo! Perseverance paid off! 10-12 inches down, Dug my first 1600's coin...AND WHAT A COIN!!!!

NOE: 29 Rarity: R3 201-500 known to exist Phenomenal condition! WAAAHOOO!!!

IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3336.JPG

Upvote 115

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEW MEMBER MY AW, WHAT A HELLUVA FIND .CONGRATS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa whoa whoa....where does this post think it’s going???? Back up top with you. Too good to slip away

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again everyone. As far as Banner goes ( had to ask a friend what it was) I guess rules are rules. I’m good with it.
I am close to retiring, but still work lots of hours. I would not have even got around to posting this find ( believe it or not ) except for the urging of a friend to put it out here.
Glad I did. Don’t know how or if I will be ever able to top this first post. But we can always dream right? Thanks again.
It happened to me... it CAN happen to you!

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations , I wish I went with you detecting that day, my big mistake
Happy Treasure Hunting
Glad your enjoying your Minelab CTX 3030
thanks

Dennis I wouldnt have found it with the Excal (LoL)
Thanks for selling me the 3030. You did miss out!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible find in both rarity and condition...home run on both!

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pics with your advice .
Will post them as soon as my computer stops freezing up!!

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better focus on new pics. The other coin is an 1883 20 Reis from Portugal found about 20 minutes before I dug the Tree coin. Considering the type of day that I was having up until then, any find would have been good for me. This coin, which is the size of a half dollar gave a very choppy/ mixed signal. Also down about 10"-12", there was enough of a high tone and the numbers, though not really locking onto anything consistent looked good enough. I decided to dig. Coin in the hole, I was thrilled! I thought, No being Skunked today. So, very satisfied, I started working my way back to the path to the parking lot. That is when I got a really sweet high tone in both directions at 10"-12". I checked it in the open screen. Still no iron grunt. A cinch decision to dig it. I popped out a good size plug and at the bottom of the hole I saw silver! It was lying flat. I picked it up and as I brought it into view, the first thing I saw was 1652!!
I let out a yell. Glenn, who was about 100' away looked up and asked; Anything good??? I yelled out TREE COIN!!!! Another friend who was a good distance away saw Glenn sprinting over to me. At the same time he observed me doing what turned out to be a Tree Coin dance. (On a find like this a little dance is acceptable) What a great day! I will NEVER forget that feeling... And you guys are right... the thirst to find another on IS strong! LOL You NEVER know.... IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3404.JPG IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3332 (1).JPG

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I hope to yell "Tree Coin" myself someday. Just hoping I don't have a heart attack before I can get the words out :laughing7:. Once again, congrats on a "beyond awesome" find.

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow!! 22 years lookin. Still lookin. GREAT Find!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Better focus on new pics. The other coin is an 1883 20 Reis from Portugal found about 20 minutes before I dug the Tree coin. Considering the type of day that I was having up until then, any find would have been good for me. This coin, which is the size of a half dollar gave a very choppy/ mixed signal. Also down about 10"-12", there was enough of a high tone and the numbers, though not really locking onto anything consistent looked good enough. I decided to dig. Coin in the hole, I was thrilled! I thought, No being Skunked today. So, very satisfied, I started working my way back to the path to the parking lot. That is when I got a really sweet high tone in both directions at 10"-12". I checked it in the open screen. Still no iron grunt. A cinch decision to dig it. I popped out a good size plug and at the bottom of the hole I saw silver! It was lying flat. I picked it up and as I brought it into view, the first thing I saw was 1652!!
I let out a yell. Glenn, who was about 100' away looked up and asked; Anything good??? I yelled out TREE COIN!!!! Another friend who was a good distance away saw Glenn sprinting over to me. At the same time he observed me doing what turned out to be a Tree Coin dance. (On a find like this a little dance is acceptable) What a great day! I will NEVER forget that feeling... And you guys are right... the thirst to find another on IS strong! LOL You NEVER know.... View attachment 1563917 View attachment 1563918 View attachment 1563919 View attachment 1563920 View attachment 1563921

Great pics. Great story. I’m very happy you fully appreciate what you found. Congrats again!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let out a yell. Glenn, who was about 100' away looked up and asked; Anything good??? I yelled out TREE COIN!!!! Another friend who was a good distance away saw Glenn sprinting over to me. At the same time he observed me doing what turned out to be a Tree Coin dance. (On a find like this a little dance is acceptable) What a great day! I will NEVER forget that feeling... And you guys are right... the thirst to find another on IS strong! LOL You NEVER know.... View attachment 1563917 View attachment 1563918 View attachment 1563919 View attachment 1563920 View attachment 1563921
Those pics are much nicer. Thank you for those.
Just a thought for you to consider. I have a very good friend who’s a professional photographer. I wrote an article about finding mine and he kindly took several amazing pictures for the article. Beyond the article pics he printed out some beautiful high res prints for me. They’re incredible and a great way to display a coin that you may want to keep in a safe and secure place. I do understand that you may not have a friend with $10k cameras. But any decent camera with a macro will take really nice close ups. He did some incredibly close zoomed in pics on mine and it’s crazy what you can see. Once again congrats and all the best on your search for the next.

OP
OP
N

NEMeanderer

Mar 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea. I will definitely look into having that done. Much thanks.

Fenway

Jun 30, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Incredible find! I vote BANNER too!:headbang::hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread