materials for custom coil cover???

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For one of my coils, I just sprayed something onto the bottom to protect it. I forget what it is, but I know I picked it up at a Lowes or Home Depot or one of those and it comes in a spray can. Sprays out black and dries hard and I just keep spraying on coat after coat of it. Pretty hard and durable. Just use one can per coil and you should be good to go. I think it's the spray on bed liner type of stuff.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Save yourself a lot of trouble. Forget the coil cover and stop dragging it on the ground! Whites sayes to hold it just above the ground. I hold mine about 1 " above and all of my whites are 10 years old with no coil damage. Coil covers are just another problem you inject into the picture. Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how careful you are your coil is going to be scratched or abraded when touching the soil, rock, or just the sand. Many water hunters have to keep cleaning out the coil cover of black sand which causes the detector to become unstable. A coating of marine epoxy solves this problem. You coil should be out of warranty. The coating is a lot less expensive than having to replace the coil as the edges are where it wears out first.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Staying an inch above ground loses an inch of depth. I used to do that, and when I ground sweep now, I find way better stuff and deeper too.

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I found that also epically in grass im almost scrubbing the ground. But this big coil is not flat on the bottom its like a ufo or a chinese wok. Id like to attach something to the lowest part maybe plastic cutting mat with double sided tape or something. I dont know why they did not make it flat.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robbor said:
I found that also epically in grass im almost scrubbing the ground. But this big coil is not flat on the bottom its like a ufo or a chinese wok. Id like to attach something to the lowest part maybe plastic cutting mat with double sided tape or something. I dont know why they did not make it flat.

People have already given you solid advice. Why would you want to fuss with attaching plastic with tape? That's just a headache waiting to happen.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Relichunter, if you have to worry about an extra inch of dept, get a better detector. Remember when coil covers get dirty, they decrease dept !
Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread