May Moore Mansion Apple Grove

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Apple Grove
This home which was gutted by fire in 1968 was once the home of Charles Page Thomas Moore, his wife Urilla K Kline and their four daughters; Ida Ogden, Rebecca Frances, Lauretta Mai and Elizabeth Van Meter.

Charles P. T. Moore was adopted by his uncle George Moore and moved to Mason County when his parents died in 1844. He was thirteen years old when he moved here with his uncle from Greenbrier County where he was born in 1831.

This home stands just off Route 2 about nine miles south of Henderson. at the same location of the May Moore Mound that is thought to be an Adena site dating from about 1 A. D.

Attachments

• maymoore.jpg
    maymoore.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,663

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
I have hunted this site a couple times without finding any decent coins. That's not to say they aren't there, they are. That picture looks like the front of the mansion and with the depth of the shot that is the front yard that is covered in waist high weeds come summer. The mansion sits atop a big hill with the back facing the Ohio river. Directly behind the person (about 150yds.) who took this picture would have been the slave quarters I've been told.
I will go back in a couple weeks when all the rain dries up and before the weeds take over. There is an old church at the bottom of the hill where May Moore and her family are buried. It was est. in 1843. I've hunted it 15-18 times finding only a Seated Liberty Dime 1891.

GatorsMoon

Feb 26, 2008
Mason County
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX SunRay DX1 Probe
I've been meaning to post this earlier, just now getting around to it. I found this Civil War Veterans Medal at the bottom of the hill down from the May Moore mansion. It seems there was a home located here sometime during the mid-1800's. Nothing really left but the well.
My hunting partner and myself hunted this site after hunting the May Moore a few weeks back. I knew there must have been a home there due to the Lillies all around. I also have this posted in Relic Hunting. Just thought I'd let you guys know there is old stuff in this area.

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,895

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread