What's new

Maybe a watch fob? Dated 1864......

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one side there is the Liberty head surrounded by stars and on the other side there is a wreath with a #1 and 1864 under it. That side also is surrounded by stars. Has anyone seen one of these?
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 067.webp
    what are they relics 067.webp
    23.7 KB · Views: 459
  • what are they relics 069.webp
    what are they relics 069.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 432
Not sure what it is but it's cool. I have seen mid 1800's cuff links made to look like coins but not anything like that. Might be to a watch chain or something.
 
Upvote 0
Or a charm bracelet. There are attachments on both sides, and fobs are usualy bigger and just have a loop on one side. I'm betting charm bracelet, and I'm also betting someone will find a match.
 
Upvote 0
Not that this means alot but this was found in a civil war camp that has produced a ton of relics. It was found right between some bullets and buttons. Right in the middle of a little hot spot. That's why I was hoping it was something period.
 
Upvote 0
What is interesting about the "counter" on that site, I think I see broken/flatter edges on the sides where yours has loops. So I'm thinking your's is the "original" state of this thing, and the "counter" has had the loops broken off. The loops on yours look original too, not attached later.

Kevo
 
Upvote 0
I do believe its all one piece. But would you happen to know what a "counter" would have been used for and would this particular one date back to 1864?
 
Upvote 0
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in. I'm just pretty good with google searches. But, I believe counters were used for games of chance in lieu of money. Civil war guys used to make them out of bullets as well. I do not know if yours is period. You only had about a year left to the civil war if the date on your thing is correct, so as a "commemerative" piece, I would think it probably would have come a bit after the civil war, though not by much.

I could be totally off base as well.

Perhaps yours was dropped by a GAR encampment sometime shortly after the war?

Kevo
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a neckless or bracelet piece to me (1 link of..)
 
Upvote 0
I don't think this one is a counter or spielmark. I have not seen a spielmark with a loop before. Right off, I don't know what this is--but I feel certain that it is a period piece, and it is modeled after a $1 gold. That's all I can say for now, but I will do some more checking tonight. I agree with Crusader that it looks like part of a necklace. I think "watch fob" or "part of a watch chain" are both good guesses:

http://www.aantv.com/index.php?page=inventoryitem&itemnumber=805661


That's a cool find. :icon_thumleft:


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Since it has a loop at the top and at the bottom, it is considered as a 'chain ornament.' Most watch fobs only had one loop. Below is a pic of 2 chain ornaments. They're pictured on page 52 of Howard Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CWChainOrnaments.webp
    CWChainOrnaments.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
By Joe, I think she's ID it!

Chalk another one up for Breezie!
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Since it has a loop at the top and at the bottom, it is considered as a 'chain ornament.' Most watch fobs only had one loop. Below is a pic of 2 chain ornaments. They're pictured on page 52 of Howard Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts. Breezie
So what type of chain would they be attached to if not a watch?
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Since it has a loop at the top and at the bottom, it is considered as a 'chain ornament.' Most watch fobs only had one loop. Below is a pic of 2 chain ornaments. They're pictured on page 52 of Howard Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts. Breezie
Im guessing the bottom loop is bent. Somehow I missed that.
 
Upvote 0
DirtyMike said:
Breezie said:
Since it has a loop at the top and at the bottom, it is considered as a 'chain ornament.' Most watch fobs only had one loop. Below is a pic of 2 chain ornaments. They're pictured on page 52 of Howard Crouch's book, Civil War Artifacts. Breezie
So what type of chain would they be attached to if not a watch?

Mike, this ornament would be in the middle of the chain as decoration, and at the one end of the chain would be the watch and at the other end would be the fob. Some chains were made only to hold a watch at one end and a fob at the other, whereas some let the fob tangle on the chain as decoration, and looped the non-watch end through a vest button hole. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • finds3.webp
    finds3.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
Thanks so much Breezie and everyone for your help. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom