Maybe first hammerstone, and mystery I'll leave up to the experts.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Was invited to go hunt for Indian artifacts this morning with a buddy from work. He's been at it for about 28 years. Couple of my bucketlister's are a bannerstone & a hammerstone, so I was hopeful with his knowledge, this may be the day.

After about a half hour, this popped up. DSCF2250.jpg

He told me to walk down by the creek to look for my bucketlister's, and not 15 mins. I picked this up DSCF2165 (3).jpg I would greatly appreciate your opinion. My buddy thinks it's a hammerstone , but wanted to get your thoughts. I think it is because it fits like a glove, DSCF2164.jpg and the surface under my palm is smoother then the rest of it. Some more pictures: DSCF2167.jpg DSCF2168.jpg DSCF2170.jpg DSCF2172.jpg

Then I found these 2 piece's of DSCF2226.jpg ? Got me baffled. Not sure if it's pottery of some sort, or modern floor/wall tile. To set the scene, we had to make our own trail through some pretty thick woods to get there, and there was no sign that there was a dump in the area, or for that matter, we didn't see any aluminum , glass, or nothing. Which makes this being on the side of maybe it could be an artifact. At least that's what I was hoping :laughing7: Things I noticed:

I only noticed 2 things that they could be just modern tile.

DSCF2246.jpg As some of you know, tile is usually glazed on one side. These have the appearance of some sort of glazing (or just smooth) on the other side. My question is, the glazed side usually is the part you see or walk on, so why are the symbols on the back side of the tile where you glue it to the wall or floor.:icon_scratch:

The other is, the piece on the right at the bottom of the piece show's a classic score and snap tile machine. Just don't know.

One reason I don't think it's tile, is because it's not flat and the thicknesses are different. DSCF2234.jpg this is glazed side to glazed side.

Another thing I noticed. DSCF2227.jpg The wall of the hole has lines up and down, like something was pushed through it to make it. The green area's are algae by the way.
Some more picture's: DSCF2239.jpg DSCF2243.jpg DSCF2228.jpg DSCF2235.jpg

Clouds opened up and we had to retreat, but it was an interesting morning.

Hope to hear your thoughts on the stone and the mystery item! I can take it either way:laughing7: By the way, we were in North Central Illinois.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
your rock art is laser cut on some sort of rock, most likely shale or something similar, not in the least bit old or native carved. your hammer stone is a rock, fitting in the hand means nothing, all rocks fit in the hand, try it out and see for yourself. no one is going to take the time to polish a thumb spot on a hammer stone and for it to be polished by use is a silly concept.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the response, but I never said it was polished under the thumb. Pretty silly concept like you said. Also I don't see faces in rocks either.

Pretty silly response for a few questions that I never said for sure they were artifacts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you posted in an NA artifacts forum, so yeah my bad for thinking you were refering to artifacts...perhaps you meant to post elsewhere?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find that hammer stone. Sometimes they re no more than a round rock beat to crap on one end on a proven site other times they will be beautifully formed into a nice pecked and polished pestle.If you found that base there should be more.
Good luck.

Huzzah!

Mar 16, 2019
Old Virginny
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking. Unclemac is correct about it being laser-cut, and as for your rock, keep it. Think of it as missing a question on a test--study it so you don't make the same mistake twice. the more geofact hammerstones you have the better you'll be able to ID a real one next time!

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep looking. Unclemac is correct about it being laser-cut, and as for your rock, keep it. Think of it as missing a question on a test--study it so you don't make the same mistake twice. the more geofact hammerstones you have the better you'll be able to ID a real one next time!

Good advice! Thanks Huz:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions