MD in Mexico laws

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
streakert, metal detectors are a common site on Mexican tourist beaches. There are metal detector dealers in the bigger cities of mexico. So at first glance, things like this would tell you that it .... therefore .... must be "ok" then, right ?

But just like here, or various countries in Europe, etc.... if you kept asking long enough and hard enough of enough border consulates, lawyers, bureaucrats, etc... I bet you can find ones there to tell you "no". It's actually happened before. So the the tourist leaves his detector at home, while he heads off off to whatever Latin/Mexican/Carribean tourist beach he was heading to. Imagine his surprise when he sees other detectorist on the beach, w/o a care in the world, eh?

So in those case, what happened? No doubt his question got couched in terms of federal antiquities (raiding the pyramids), shipwreck salvor type things, exporting gold bars back across the border, blah blah blah . But the *reality* is quite different, for casual hobbyist type things. Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions of border lawyer bureaucrat archie type people, haha.

Have fun, and post pix of the gold rings you'll find :)

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
OK so I am taking a vacation to the gulf coast of Mexico dose anyone no the laws can I take my detector. !?

In front of the hotels it is fine. The staff of the hotels will be watching you with amusement knowing that they just swept the same spot four hours before you did and do so every day to pick up the pesos that their customers dropped

The Americans Canadians and Europeans that are there don't bring any jewelry at all anyway, so they have nothing to lose.

The beaches that locals go to tend to have lots of broken silver and some gold. They also consistently yield many 2, 5 and 10 peso coins . 13 1/2 pesos equals one US dollar

If you hunt there every day for two years straight you still will never see another Metal Detectorist at beaches such as those. It's just not done.
You have to do it at night, because in the daytime you will draw a crowd

it is not illegal, but there is a very good chance that a Mexican lifeguard or policeman will try to steal your detector from you if you can't turn on a Mexican twang.

If that is the case, The best thing to do is use an AT pro while you're down there because no one will want it anyway.
Buena suerte....
Good luck.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so I am taking a vacation to the gulf coast of Mexico dose anyone no the laws can I take my detector. !?

I took mine to Mazatlan and hunted the beach with a Mexican guy and found a cpl rings worth $85 and lots of pesos

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In front of the hotels it is fine. The staff of the hotels will be watching you with amusement knowing that they just swept the same spot four hours before you did and do so every day to pick up the pesos that their customers dropped

The Americans Canadians and Europeans that are there don't bring any jewelry at all anyway, so they have nothing to lose.

The beaches that locals go to tend to have lots of broken silver and some gold. They also consistently yield many 2, 5 and 10 peso coins . 13 1/2 pesos equals one US dollar

If you hunt there every day for two years straight you still will never see another Metal Detectorist at beaches such as those. It's just not done.
You have to do it at night, because in the daytime you will draw a crowd

it is not illegal, but there is a very good chance that a Mexican lifeguard or policeman will try to steal your detector from you if you can't turn on a Mexican twang.

If that is the case, The best thing to do is use an AT pro while you're down there because no one will want it anyway.
Buena suerte....
Good luck.

beg to differ - I have been to Riviera Maya twice and Cozumel once
I did pretty good in the gold & silver dept. and would not say all was from locals
111.jpg 112.jpg
113.jpg 114.jpg

OP
OP
streakert

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well shoot Casper it doesn't look like you left me anything, I am going to Riviera Maya. Lol thanks for the info.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
beg to differ - I have been to Riviera Maya twice and Cozumel once
I did pretty good in the gold & silver dept. and would not say all was from locals
View attachment 1005483 View attachment 1005484
View attachment 1005485 View attachment 1005486

LOL, wow, that's just insane, there's a guy on YouTube that finds 12 gold rings on the same Southern California beach every time he goes out also....

I assure you, the tourists are not running around with gold rings emblazoned with gold coins and gold chains and bracelets

So that stuff is all mint condition, where is all the broken and scrap stuff?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread