MDers Beware!!

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
Over the weekend I decided to go detecting around an old church that was dissolved and tore down in the 1970's. It was built around 1880. I followed the old rock foundation and didn't find much. I noticed a huge oak tree around 50 yds from the church so I figured it had seen many picnics under it and might yield some coins. I made my way towards it and got about 10 yds from it when a june bug flew past me. Since it is rattlesnake country, I almost had a heart attack. I stood there trying to calm down when I heard a constant humming or buzzing sound. I finally figured out, that in that huge oak tree was a large swarm of bees. Had I been wearing my headphones I would have likely been in the middle of them. Fortunately I wasn't stung and made my way out the same direction I came, but the purpose of this message is to caution people of the use of headphones while out in nature. You never know when a rattler could be buzzing or in my case a beehive is right above your head.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
this is a good point, not only for the animal and insect hazards that are out there but also for the human hazards as well! always look around you from time to time and get an idea of your surroundings. its easy to get caught up in detecting and not notice an animal or a criminal approaching!

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I agree. Keep the eyes looking around once in a while just to make you don't get surprised by anything. I am always expecting a snake and every once in a while I will move a piece of tin and sure enough on one incident there was a snake right in the center of that piece of tin keeping warm. Snakes scare the begebees out of me.

joya_dorado

Feb 13, 2005
San Marcos, TX
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Rattlers scare the bejesus outta me too. Just a couple weeks ago I nearly stepped on one as I was following my son down a trail on our land. He stepped right over it without seeing it and THAT is what really spooked me. When I saw it I did the rattlesnake jig and let out that primal yelp you do when one of these guys surprises you. Did not kill it though. Against my philosophy... he has as much right to live on this rocky piece of hill country as i do.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have too much trouble with snakes here in Ohio.

You might run into a copperhead in southern ohio, though.

Anyway. I was down on my knees probing a hole and all of the sudden a dog comes up right in my face and starts licking me. Scared the heck out of me. I look up and the owner of the dog, just walks right on by and never says a word to the dog. The dog followed me around the park for a good ten minutes. The owner comes back by and the dog went on with him.

Ken

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip. I am allergic to bees. I am supposed to keep my epi-pen with me all the time. I am bad to forget it though. I have killed 4 copperheads in my yard this year. I have also found 3 baby ring snakes in my house and caught them and let them go outside. I saw their mom and dad I guess this spring out in the yard and let them go too. I like NON- poisonous snakes but the poisonous ones have a hard time if I find them in the yard. A while ago my daughter found a large lizard in the kitchen sink and let out a deafening scream, lol... I had to catch him and put him out in the flower bed. I still don't know where they are coming in at.

DANGLANGLEY

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
sometimes I will unkowingly step on a piece of rotting branch hidden in the leaves.
all I see is a mottled brown long skinny thing popping at me.I scream,wet myself,soil myself,run home crying,fall down several times,and when finally get home I lay in the
corner in a fetal position rocking back and forth sucking my thumb with tears streaming down my face.after several hours I return for my detector.

Attachments

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 363

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the wise warning, my biggest fear is stepping on a in ground wasp nest, which I have seen folks do before, let me tell you it aint pretty. God is good and has protected me so far. It is a good idea to look around costantly, thats why im not a fan of head phones.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
The ONLY time I will even mess with headphones is in a secure location i.e.
I am familiar with the surrounding, friend with me, etc...

I do not like headphones much either, and when I have used them on the rare occasion,
I only use one side, the other is off my ear, just so I can keep one ear open for
my surroundings.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good warning for anyone that could easily get caught up in the hunt and not pay attention to the surroundings. Even while water detecting it is important to listen for strange noises coming from outside of your headphones and to look around you all the time.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Watch out for ground bees too. A solid silver quarter signal looks real good until you notice the hole 2 feet away with little yellow jackets comin' and goin'. I would have had the quarter too, but I'll wait 'til the weather cools down.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I often hunt one phone on / one off to be able to hear whats going on --- they make one ear type headphones set and that might be on my shopping list before long ;) --- Ivan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the yellow pages for a bee keeper. Bees that hive up in a tree usually have a lot of honey stored. Offer to take the guy to the tree for a share of the honey. Honey good, bees bad! Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Very good warning for anyone that could easily get caught up in the hunt and not pay attention to the surroundings. Even while water detecting it is important to listen for strange noises coming from outside of your headphones and to look around you all the time.

When in the ocean at the beach I listen for the sound track to "Jaws"... ;D

Watch for schools of bait fish frantically swimming and jumping out of the water....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread